GPZ Battery...SOS

The first time I put my new GPZ battery in the charger nothing happened. I actually was using my CTX charger which I know to be good. I unseated battery, reseated a couple times, nothing, so just left it be a few minutes, and it finally started charging. Am not sure what was up with that, it was like battery completely dead but that would be odd. Seems to be fine now, it ran detector just fine.

May be a contacts issue with battery or detector or both. My guess is Minelab wants the entire thing back to 100% get to the bottom of it. It is early in the game and I bet they are being extra careful regarding new out of box issues like this. Sorry to hear about the delay Fred.

I've noticed in my lifetime of construction. When the Radio is near the cordless battery charger. With no battery in the charger, the reception is fine. When a battery is inserted, and charging ,the reception gets fuzzy. That was one way I knew the batteries with worn or suspect charging ports were actually getting a charge. Sounds funny. But true.

I am happy to get a new unit...the last time I started out with new detector problems the nightmare just kept running...

I know a small % of any product will have problems; but why mine???

just kidding guys, thanks for the helpful hints.

fred

This is starting to sound like all the same problems that Coiltek has with their camcorder battery system. Also, I don't believe that the BC charger is regulated which means you have to baby sit your battery or you could ruin it by over charging But for $10,000.00 I don't expect much.

I hope I'm wrong on this.

It would be a rare occurrence if the battery overcharged.  Lithium batteries are set up to prevent such occurrences because they are so reactive.  Its more common for them to short out or for their control circuitry to get buggered.  Same for the charger. But hey :) a small delay and another detector to dirty up while giving ML a chance to work out a potential kink. Hehh.  

If you have a ctx you will notice that the clamps that hold the battery to the detector on the 7000 are much firmer then the ones on the ctx. Input from dealers and customers.

strick

Lithium batteries are set up to prevent such occurrences because they are so reactive.    

I would challenge this if I may and stand to be corrected if I have misinterpreted the sentence.

Lithium batteries do not by themselves limit overcharging. This function must be managed by the charger as lithium batteries turn into incendiary devices when over charged.

There is a saying in the RC modelling world "don't charge a lithium battery inside anything you cant afford to loose" They mean your RC plane, car, shed or house, all of these have been burnt down by over charged lithium batteries.