I’ve got my lads home this summer so I’ve been grabbing every chance I can get to drag them out detecting. For me finding some gold is always a good way to get some ready cash for incidental things like beer which both boys now seem to have discovered a taste for.?

My attitude is the more I can get them out detecting with them the better because they will soon enough be pursuing their own life directions and if my life at that age is anything to go by no doubt it will be in another town a long way away. So in exchange for beer, a bed, air con, food and the odd bit of cash here and there, oh and don’t forget always running out of data on our internet plan,? I get to occasionally grab one or both lads and go do a bit of father son detecting. 

Yesterday was a lot of fun, the weather has returned to hot and muggy again (typical February weather in Central QLD) so an early start was necessary. This time we decided to target an area not far from a high voltage power line, not because we love the constant discordant threshold (The GPZ is heaps better than any of gold machine in this regard), but because the gold tends to be chunkier thanks to the area not having been detected as often due to the interference.

The keys to detecting here are to find a clear frequency for the location, this is changed pretty regularly as the frequency of the line changes often too, I also find lowering the sensitivity helps a lot and also backing off the B&Z booster a bit to take the edge off the variation. There is also a fair amount of trash so we tend to just focus on signals that sound a bit buried.

I was lucky and pinged a deep 1 gram bit only 30 minutes into the session, I held off letting Tim know because its better in a nasty area like this to keep things low key and not too competitive. Being hot and sweaty as well as listening to an annoying unstable threshold is bad enough without feeling pressured from Dad. Anyway this session was kinder to me and I managed to ping quite a few chunky bits poking my coil here and there amongst the old boys diggings on the edges of the drainage. Poor Tim was struggling he had pockets full of lead and trash but no gold, so I suggested he head on over to were I pinged the first bit. Right on knock off time I saw Tim grinning triumphantly and he then refusing to finish off for the day until he had covered the area more thoroughly. 

Long story short, Tim got the biggest nugget for the session sitting right at 1.6 grams with a grand total of 7.4 grams between us. Seeing how were are partners we spilt the gold with 3.7 grams each or $214 AU for a few hours work, no wonder he likes coming home for a visit.??

JP

Some pics of yesterdays session and a few from another one last week. The gold is just a bonus, the true gold is the time spent with my boy.

3C667CF0-1B47-453A-8B98-059B72888D31.jpeg

2C24A090-2AF9-4EB7-B47B-1FB1A11CF4E1.jpeg

2CCC9A5E-E39F-4409-B31D-1BD0655F109E.jpeg

F963BFB5-F69D-4CFF-BBE1-0D1F63BE20E8.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Northeast said:

Nice JP.  Good effort getting out there at this time of year  

Has Clermont seen much of the rain that further North has seen?  

We’ve dodged the flooding and also a lot of the rain so the farmers are pretty hopeful for more down this way. 

So happy for you JP, you know the difference between gold the mineral and real gold. There is nothing like our kids is there? Best wishes to all of you and enjoy your time together. It always seems too short doesn't it?

Well done.  I hope there are many more outings to come.

Mitchel