Fred I know you didn`t ask this but, a few months ago I bought a couple of ferrite rings on ebay for 2.68 AUD, and Minelab say in their blurb on the ferrite ring, they recomend you use their one, but the real deal and the cheapy both seem do the same thing.  If I can hear one, I hear the other, and if I tune out one, it tunes out the other.   I still use the Minelab one, because it`s the Minelab one, but the cheapy seems to me to do exactly the same thing. Dave
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-Pcs-33mm-x-19mm-x-11mm-Yellow-White-Iron-Core-Ferrite-Rings-Toroid-SY-/252300099205?epid=733722113&hash=item3abe41fe85:g:RHUAAOSwnbZYIUgr
SDC13653.jpg
gif image host

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fredmason said:

what happened to my death-defying ride in your jeep...I waited sooooooooooo long for you...

The steering box fell off and broke a brake line on my way there. Next time you headed this way holler - we'll do a comparison of GB with ferrite vs. GB without. You might be surprised.

Yeh Jen don`t get the small ones, I also bought a pack of 18mm to try them and the 7000 just doesn`t hear them at all.  I gave them to a mate of mine that`s into electronics. Dave

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10-x-Power-Inductor-Ferrite-Ring-Iron-Toroidal-Yellow-White-18mm-x-9mm-x-5mm-/301683948285?epid=1638286108&hash=item463dc3bafd:g:Kl0AAOSwXYtYuKNZ

Yup, I wrapped my ferrite ring in bubble wrap.

I can toss it anywhere (and have), and it's protected perfectly.

The main benefit of the ferrite is in locations totally lacking in it, like an alkali flat. The ring provides the ferrite balance, and the new Semi-Auto update allows you to lock the ferrous balance in, otherwise the detector will track to the salt and lose the ferrite balance. For ground with naturally occurring ferrite, like most soils in the U.S., you will see little to no benefit to using the ferrite. But it sure does not hurt and is not a bad habit to develop.

Most (all?) detectors have a factory set ferrite reference point, so it is interesting that the GPZ tracks ground ferrite content separately. Yet waving the ferrite under the coil and locking the ferrite balance channel is not so different that just providing a factory preset point. Just one of those finer points technologically in the GPZ that is different than most detectors, and no doubt some good technical reason for why it is the way it is. I just don't know the reason, except to guess it helps under certain ground conditions to track the ferrite content as it actually is in the ground instead of a preset factory setting.

From http://www.minelab.com/__files/f/313856/4907-0942-1 Brochure, GPZ 7000 Software Upgrade No.2 EN.pdf

Click for larger version...

minelab-gpz-7000-ferrite-balance-settings.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

wow, Klunker, that really would have been exciting....

Thanks for all suggestions, comments and lessons-so much to learn.

fred

Thanks for starting this thread, Fred.  I just broke mine last weekend when it slipped out of my pocket and onto a tailing pile.  Now I have a few ideas to try :biggrin:

Thanks Steve. 

A few of us were postulating this question over on PA.  Do you mind if I paste the link on there for this thread?  

I'm almost more confused now though :tongue:    

In auto mode: 

- my Australian ground has naturally occurring ferrite (I assume) 

- but I ferrite balance with the ring. 

- during the session the Z slowly auto balances to the ground ferrite. 

- I am diligent and check X balance every hour or so, and if out, I X balance with the ring and a Quick Track again. 

Why wouldn't I just let the Z utilize the ferrite in the soil?  Wouldn't that actually give a more specific X balance to that particular spot than a broad spectrum ferrite ring?  

1 hour ago, Northeast said:

Why wouldn't I just let the Z utilize the ferrite in the soil?  Wouldn't that actually give a more specific X balance to that particular spot than a broad spectrum ferrite ring?

Have found no benefit using the ferrite to the Zs operation in the country I prospect, in fact only use quick track when the mode I change to forces me to, as when recently after the upgrade. In fact have not quick tracked nor used the ferrite all season until the upgrade. Is my method right or wrong, the manual tells me it is wrong. I guess it is just one of those individual settings we gather to handle the ground we detect.

All I can suggest is try detecting without using the ferrite or quick track as a test, but a warning do not put your Z into the back of the ute whilst it is on. Bouncing around in the back of the ute puts the auto GB data that your Z has gathered way out of wack, done this a few times and now ensure I turn the Z off before I turn the wireless remote off. I just feel the Z is more stable if the auto GB or now semi-auto GB is allowed to collect its data without quick tracking as you do when you use the ferrite. Works for me at present but always keen to try anything that ups the productivity.

• Like 2