Thought I Would Introduce Myself..

Hello,

New to the forum, just wanted to say hello before I started to ask questions here haha. Several years ago I bought a junker metal detector to test out the hobby, it died a couple years later now I'm back.

Wondering how good Kellyco customer service is. Ordered a new MD from them and after 10 days of patiently waiting, I was sent what Is obviously a used machine. I paid for a new one so I'm a bit irritated about it. It's Sunday so I have to wait until tomorrow to call. I could have ordered one through Amazon, but thought I'd give them a try. Any issues with Kellyco before? Not looking to bad mouth anyone, just wondering if this is common business practice. They have been around a long time I see, so I guess I expected more from them. 

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum and since I do not know the answer to your question I would suggest posting on the advice and comparison section for a quicker answer.

Good luck.

You are much more likely to get the response you need from Kelly Co themselves.

Years ago a friend asked me where to buy a detector to give as a gift.  He wanted to call up a store and have someone suggest a detector for someone new to detecting and within certain price ranges.  It was going to be primarily a beach machine.

Most everyone on this forum has nugget hunting detectors so I told this friend who is in the entertainment business to call Kelly Co.  They did and they were very satisfied with the entire transaction.  The buyer and the recipient of his gift had never used a metal detector before.

It was a new detector and I don't know what kind now.

You should contact KellycoDetectors here on Steve's site.  That is a user's name.

Mitchel

• Like 1

Kellyco also have an inventory of used detectors as well, so hopefully there wasn't a mix up on what was originally purchased.  Which detector did you end up purchasing?

Thanks for the response, I'm sure it was just a mix up. Things happen I was just excited to receive my first metal detector....well besides the harbor freight thing I bought years ago Haha. I ordered the Gold Kruzer, thought I would learn that one to the best of my ability then see where it takes me. Honestly I could be happy with a lot of different MD's I just couldn't justify buying the mine lab gold monster yet. Could have ordered the equinox 600 but I want to focus on prospecting.  From what I understand, washington state where I am has gold but pretty small stuff. 

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum. It's been a long time since I did business with Kellyco but never had a problem with them. They have a good reputation and I'm sure that they will make things right.

• Like 1

Was it used or just an open box/demo? One way to tell is check the coil bottom and see if there are any scuffs at all.

I have bought quite a bit from Kellyco, Serious Detecting and Big Boy Hobbies and haven't had any issues from any of them.

In your case call them up and talk to a rep, they should resolve it quickly for ya.

• Like 2

Welcome to DP! Possibly just a mix up. Good luck!

Hello B,

Welcome to the forum!

Like most any company, Kellyco has their issues! They are relatively close to me, so i have bought a few detectors, and several parts from them over the years! They are by no means the only source around! I personally have had only minor issues! Do your due diligence! And shop wisely!👍👍

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By lures63
      Gidday Guys 
      Gary from Townsville Aust , not the most serious dirt fisherman but super serious water fisherman 🙂 , I have a equinox 800 and xterra 705 so play in the dirt abit.
      Also do a fishing show on radio you can tune in on Saturday mornings 7am Aussie time on 4k1g/listen live.
      NQFISHINGSHOW on instagram or FB
      Looking forward to joining you all for some info and help
      Cheers Gary

• By ChuckScrivener
      I’m a photographer/writer/artist out of Northern California. I have been metal detecting for about 20 years. Mostly gold nuggets. Just getting into relics and coins with my newly purchased Equinox 800. Felt it was time to join the site since I’ve been enjoying the members and knowledge shared for months. This whole Equinox thing is new to me as all I’ve ever detected with are the GPX Pulse Induction machines. I hope to learn and share the hard knock knowledge I am sure to receive from trying out a new form of detecting. Thanks for having me as a detectorprospector member and thanks for all the knowledge and inspiration I have already gained from everyone here. 
    • By Cootiewap
      Back at it after 20 yrs . Got me an AT PRO and Equinox 600 . My how things have changed ! Both of them are great 👍  went wireless on the Nox , thinking of doing the same on the Garrett. Gone to some of the old haunts and been killing it . Amazing how much stuff I missed with the older machines! I tend to favor the Nox . Only thing I'm having an issue with is finding pinpoint sweet spot .
    • By Scarfoot
      Hello all,

I've been lurking for a while and I've enjoyed all the equipment reviews and inside info. so I figured I would join in the conversation. I've been metal detecting for 16yrs with a focus on civil war relics and, pre civil war coins. 

• By pdunc
      New to this forum and have already found a lot of useful information.  A bit about myself. I’m 68 and have been detecting since 1986 off and on. Mostly on, but off the last two years. I’ve had a few higher end White’s in the past, but for the last I don’t know how many years, detected in the water with a Fisher CZ-20 and then a CZ-21. Decided to get out of detecting about 2 years ago and sold all my equipment. Felt naked without a detector, so I ordered an Equinox 600 and a Garrett pin pointer which should arrive tomorrow. Also ordered a Sito scoop. All the ground here in Maine is currently frozen and covered with snow, but I should be able to hit some non frozen ground at the coast soon to try and learn this detector. Not planning on getting out to detect as often as I have in the past as age and a sore back seem to be catching up with me. In any case, I look forward to future conversations and sharing information with you all.
    • By Reno Chris
      I had posted in another thread about how many prospectors do not take the time to accurately pinpoint and therefore spend a lot of unnecessary time chasing their target, resulting in less gold found. I thought it might be better to have a clean thread specifically on the topic.
      Its important because taking an extra 30 seconds to pinpoint a target carefully can save 5 minutes or more of digging and chasing. Multiply 5 minutes per target (more or less) by 20 or more targets a day and it really adds up. Plus the less time you spend digging and chasing your targets, the more time you spend actually searching for gold. This means you will be able to detect and find more targets in a day resulting in more gold produced.

Geof_junk had suggested a method described by Garrett to make a 90 degree X
      It works, but even that is very rough.  People swing over a target from one direction, then swing over it from another direction and where both lines that indicate the target cross, that is where the target is....
      Sort of.

The Garrett description says to use the line where the target is loudest, but often a target is pretty much the same intensity over the whole body of the coil. And a lot of prospectors just use the lines for anywhere the coil sounds, but depending on the size of your target, whether the target is sounding on the front edge or the back edge, or anywhere in between, your "imaginary line" can be almost twice the width of the coil. Then cross that with an "imaginary line" at 90 to the first one, you now have a circle roughly twice the diameter of the coil in which the target could be located. The smaller the coil, the smaller the circle of possibility - so pinpointing with a small coil is just naturally easier. On the other hand, if you are swinging the GPX with a standard coil, that circle is up to 28 inches, and because you need to swing the coil through the hole over the target, now you need a hole of about 42 inches and if its deep, that is going to be a real crater!

This is why its important to step back of the target and swing forward to make sure you are hearing it on the front of the coil. Move the coil  slowly forward as you swing it and where you first get a full target response, mark that line. Turn 90 degrees and do the same. That crossing should get you a more accurate pinpoint of the target location, allowing you to dig and recover the target more quickly.

Any other thoughts about pinpointing?