Jump to content

A Battle Was Fought Here On This Wash. And The Tarascci Is A Keeper.


Recommended Posts

Third Tarascci hunt. First two cut short by bad conditions.  On the Florida Gulf ,caught a low tide at a nice wash.below a old deep cut.  Got to say that hunting conditions have. been lousy most of the month.   Hey I got lucky betting on this area, and having enough targets to learn this machine.   Tried a couple modes, but kept coming back to Mix, it's the one for me.    I like the way it sounds on iron.     Between target Id & tones, I was able to keep the beer cap digging down.  Same thing on calling a crusty penny before digging.  Quarter's an nickels were scarce.    Now I got to relay this. Out of 10 dimes dug at least 5 were the deepest I've ever dug. I could say how deep I think, but there's no way to be sure in wet sand.   The Tarascci is a keeper for me.     No gold or silver but guy & machine had a good day.

20210128_112828.jpg

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice report.  What is the machine you normally use? Just curious.  I really like the tarsacci and I'm finding myself digging deep on targets also.  Can't wait til the 12" coil is released.  I really like the all metal and mixed modes the most.  But disc mode is good enough that I'd use it on days where targets are overwhelming.   

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, basstrackerman said:

Nice report.  What is the machine you normally use? Just curious.  I really like the tarsacci and I'm finding myself digging deep on targets also.  Can't wait til the 12" coil is released.  I really like the all metal and mixed modes the most.  But disc mode is good enough that I'd use it on days where targets are overwhelming.   

The Tarascci replaced my AT Pro.   The Infinium is my main wading machine right now.   That red is a thin strip of tape I wrapp the cap with. Gotta help with water and sand.   Might not be needed, but can't hurt.  I also taped over the speaker. Same reason.    Good eye on that tracker

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad you are doing well with the Tarsacci, it is an interesting metal detector. But mainly I wanted to tell you I am jealous because I am shoveling snow today. I'd be happy walking down that beach swinging a detector and finding nothing right now! :smile:

  • Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a nylon sticker over my speaker.  But I’ve dont that for years even with dirt machines.  I use a small parts cleaning brush on those O rings and threads.  I also take the O rings off occasionally and run them under hot water brings um back to normal stickiness.  I’m not a fan of the solid ping and pongs so I use AM -31 to hear iron.  I’ve straddled several holes digging gold rings.  The machine is just unique enough and simple enough that’s it’s hard to put down.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

I use a nylon sticker over my speaker.  But I’ve dont that for years even with dirt machines.  I use a small parts cleaning brush on those O rings and threads.  I also take the O rings off occasionally and run them under hot water brings um back to normal stickiness.  I’m not a fan of the solid ping and pongs so I use AM -31 to hear iron.  I’ve straddled several holes digging gold rings.  The machine is just unique enough and simple enough that’s it’s hard to put down.

Dew, I'm going to give that AM a try today.    Yesterday I dug a quarter at the wave break In Mix.  If I'd been waist deep, I'm not sure I would have got it.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You get in the oatmeal and you could leave a target for sure lol.   I dont leave many..... but i have been straddle a few holes where i went from chest to chin deep out there....... with that target still in the middle of the hole.  I almost left a heavy gold ring like that the first time it happened.... but th tone was just to good.  Good luck with the machine.  Are you up by St Pete?  If so Cliff and Todd are both up your way and have had the MDT for some time.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2021 at 1:10 PM, Dancer said:

Third Tarascci hunt. First two cut short by bad conditions.  On the Florida Gulf ,caught a low tide at a nice wash.below a old deep cut.  Got to say that hunting conditions have. been lousy most of the month.   Hey I got lucky betting on this area, and having enough targets to learn this machine.   Tried a couple modes, but kept coming back to Mix, it's the one for me.    I like the way it sounds on iron.     Between target Id & tones, I was able to keep the beer cap digging down.  Same thing on calling a crusty penny before digging.  Quarter's an nickels were scarce.    Now I got to relay this. Out of 10 dimes dug at least 5 were the deepest I've ever dug. I could say how deep I think, but there's no way to be sure in wet sand.   The Tarascci is a keeper for me.     No gold or silver but guy & machine had a good day.

20210128_112828.jpg

Is that the new 12" coil on it???? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

You get in the oatmeal and you could leave a target for sure lol.   I dont leave many..... but i have been straddle a few holes where i went from chest to chin deep out there....... with that target still in the middle of the hole.  I almost left a heavy gold ring like that the first time it happened.... but th tone was just to good.  Good luck with the machine.  Are you up by St Pete?  If so Cliff and Todd are both up your way and have had the MDT for some time.

Panama City Beach

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

    • By Dug2gld
      A site that plenty of us have hit, the tarsacci finds the old brass in the iron! 🙂 8 colonial buttons! 

    • By midalake
      Had a good friend loan me his Tarsacci for a few months. Settings: Sens 9, Black sand ON,  Salt 33, 9khz, disc -30, G-bal 623. Tested both coils
      First off, if you are tall like me the detector is NOT long enough. I know Steve is working on an extension but here is the problem. Not enough coil cable length. So if you are tall and plan to order one, be sure to ask for longer coil cable length . Myself, I would need 4-5 inches more rod length.
      Pros: Works good in the wave wash [all metal mode], good depth, silent running wet sand, NO EMI issues in a known EMI problem area, Awesome battery, good sound and volume. Pinpoints well in mixed mode, good target separation, fast recovery speed, large coil was just as stable in saltwater.
      Cons: Too short, lousy coil mount location on small coil, poor on target identification [vdi display]. Iron wrap around issues, gold chain issue?.
      I will probably ramble some so if you have a question please ask. For the most part worked in all metal.
      I was impressed how the Tarsacci handled moving salt water. While it is no GT Sovereign, it is 100% better than the Equinox. There is an initial disturbance by the wave and then sometimes on withdrawal but working in the wash is more than workable. Also you will never lose or bury a target in a hole of soft sand like the equinox. The tarsacci will chase it all the way until you recover.
      The ability of the machine to give you tone and VDI numbers at depth is a question. I was not confident that the machine separates the difference between iron and non-ferrous well at depth. While I dug very few nails and no bobby pins the MDT had an issue with the ferrous Mexican coins. Many of them would want to ring-up and some of them indicated must dig.  I would say anything past 8 inches had issues to where the target would not lock-out. I am sure more time on this machine would solve some of this confidence. One tip I have on deep targets is to take a small scoop of sand 3-4 inches off. The MDT did better reading targets regardless if there was water in the hole made or not.
      On my last day both myself and my friend were on the MDT and myself the Equinox. I found a gold wrist chain that had a small name plate on it. I hit a solid 5. When we got together the MDT would not lock out on the chain with the 12”round coil, even on top of it. I could take the Equinox to about 4” above it and still locked out at 5.       
      All in all, the machine was a pleasure to use. The increased coverage of the larger coil is well noted, and in my case no difference in salt water effect on the machine. Target identification takes a bit longer than the Equinox, but the MDT exceeds in moving water contact. It is not even close. Also the loss of EMI issues for three blocks of beach is a huge plus.  Dave
    • By Aaron
      Many folks have inquired just how does tracking work and how do you set it? 
      Here’s a quick video that explains everything!
      Aaron
       
    • By mn90403
      The other day I was detecting on of the many beaches in Santa Monica Bay.  Just like all other beaches of the world there are some unique features about it that we all learn.  I was thinking about how much sand has been added since a swell event I detected about 6 months ago.  I can see where that cut was and I see where the new beach line is and it is 25-30 feet in many places.  Our wave pattern with the La Nina has sanded things in.  We have earthquakes which raise our plate.  How about your beaches from the old days?
      Before I started metal detecting I was a surfer.  Many natural breaks have been there for years.  I'm sure some are gone.  Has 'climate change' changed your surfing spots?  I know some beaches in Florida have had sand added for replenishment.  I just read articles about North Carolina and salt intrusion killing coastal forests.  They showed before and after photos.
      Do you have any old detecting photos that would show your beaches 20, 30 or 40 years ago?
    • By schoolofhardNox
      So, I decided to try another beach to see if the conditions were the same to find silver. I spent about 2 hours there before I could not stand it anymore.  For such an affluent town, the have the dirtiest beach I have ever detected on. The amount of junk targets and iron were overwhelming. I could not swing without hitting multiple targets. I got a bit of clad, and an 8-gauge shotgun shell casing, so I flew out of there.  🙄 The drive back to my favorite beach was now the goal to save the day. I wandered around for a bit with no luck, so back to the same area where I did good before. I expanded out a bit and the silvers turned to clad. Lots of dimes as expected, as they are hardest to find deep. Found a decent amount of silver. I did not take pictures of the trash, but here are all the good finds from that beach. My beach days are numbered, as the crowds are already starting to show up well in advance of Memorial Day opening. I may try another new beach next week for a bit and see what happens. Weather was beautiful…. The people ?  -  a bit strange. 😵



    • By rvpopeye
      Well kinda (but that's another story)
        1 clad dime and 3 memorial pennies , a fishing sinker , an unfired 22  pellet rifle round . 2 1/2 pull tabs and a bunch of tinfoil balls one of which looked like it was turning back to aluminum ore! ( or maybe it was just BBQ sauce ?) and a few odd pieces of iron I haven't washed off yet????? About 3 hours in park1 sens 22 , f2=0  disc = off., the 6" coil on the fully updated 800  Swinging in an old campground (it was root city) I watched being built 60 years ago when I was a little kid 200 yards across the cove through mom's binoculars cuz I was too young to row that far ......somewhere in the wilderness that is the southern Maine coast..I was surrounded by old growth white pine that were protected by the King of England for ship's masts for exclusive use of the Royal Navy....My fave site 30' straight up a cliff from the water ,,,and only covered 1/10th of it. ,    (It's overlooking "my rock" , where I've been fishing for striped bass since I was 2. It was low tide 2 clam diggahs on the flats , one arrived by boat.........) It was sunny  On shore  S. <5kts  62*  No pics..  I am unworthy. UH AYUH yup yup  
×
×
  • Create New...