Not Sure, Would You Be Happy?

1515Art

3 hours ago, geek4gold said:

Might have been 3 grams of quartz & other impurities.

G4G

It's still part of the overall weight of a rare gemstone, which is how we value gold specimens in the U.S. You are not dealing with gold, you are dealing with a gemstone. The quartz and other "impurities" are part of the overall look, and removing them can ruin the value of the specimen. This thread shows why - the thing after being treated looks completely fake to me.

This is a 1.83 ounce museum quality gold specimen I found. The quartz is critical to the look and value. Remove that "worthless quartz" and you will have destroyed the value of this specimen.

There are cases where careful removal of enclosing mineral can reveal more gold in a way that shows better, but it is an art to having it come out right. Technically it should be revealed that a specimen have been modified or treated and is not longer a "natural gold specimen" but one that has been ehhanced by artificial means.

The Story

2013_1-83_oz_gold_nugget_no_ca_c.jpg

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1

8 hours ago, 1515Art said:

I just want to say thanks to everyone for the comments, I had no doubt the seller would make good I just needed to accept it and move on, thanks for the opportunity to think clearly out loud. As was said “what’s done is done” it’s not bad just different and I wish every problem in life was this simple.

You are a better man than i gunga din  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

It's still part of the overall weight of a rare gemstone, which is how we value gold specimens in the U.S. You are not dealing with gold, you are dealing with a gemstone. The quartz and other "impurities" are part of the overall look, and removing them can ruin the value of the specimen. This thread shows why - the thing after being treated looks completely fake to me.

This is a 1.83 ounce museum quality gold specimen I found. The quartz is critical to the look and value. Remove that "worthless quartz" and you will have destroyed the value of this specimen.

There are cases where careful removal of enclosing mineral can reveal more gold in a way that shows better, but it is an art to having it come out right. Technically it should be revealed that a specimen have been modified or treated and is not longer a "natural gold specimen" but one that has been ehhanced by artificial means.

The Story

2013_1-83_oz_gold_nugget_no_ca_c.jpg

You lot do it differently than we do then.

I’d agree with a nice specimen, but the run of the mill ugly species we tend to get here the quartz is free if it is included at all.

Have always had a hard time selling specimens here unless they are exceptional.

And if it’s a specimen it is advertised as a specimen, not a nugget and with an SG weight of the gold.

if we advertised it here as a gemstone we’d get laughed at.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, madtuna said:

You lot do it differently than we do then.

I’d agree with a nice specimen, but the run of the mill ugly species we tend to get here the quartz is free if it is included at all.

Have always had a hard time selling specimens here unless they are exceptional.

And if it’s a specimen it is advertised as a specimen, not a nugget and with an SG weight of the gold.

if we advertised it here as a gemstone we’d get laughed at.

They are entirely different markets, that is a fact, and why people here need to be educated in it. A mistake can be very costly. We have a robust collectors market, and the gold to match it. Prices of US$10,000 an ounce and higher are not unusual. I’ve sold a lot of specimen gold, and with patience have never had a problem selling any of it, though pricing varies wildly with the look and rarity of same. Even the poor specimens I always got paid for the gross weight at market price as a sort of base. So a one ounce, a third rock, two-thirds gold, I could normally sell as if it were an ounce of gold. It does take time and patience to get good prices. And yes, we have stuff that is ugly enough it fetches no premium, and the dolly pot is the best way to go.

https://www.irocks.com/minerals/species/buy-gold-fine-mineral-specimens-photos

https://goldnuggetsforsale.com/round-mountain-gold-mine-c-56/?zenid=c93b5908966c2377a29a11383e764439

This is a small specimen of Nevada gold I found that will fetch a good price. Nevada is famous for some of the specimen gold found here, like at Round Mountain.

delicate-gold-nevada-whites-gmt-herschbach.jpg

• Like 4

Glad your happy with the outcome 1515. Dave really is a great guy to do business with. He will do pretty much what’s needed to square up with you.

Steve those are beautiful specimens. Especially the second one.

Mike

• Like 2

I too think nice looking quartz is a valuable enhancement! But i can see both sides! It's all beautiful to me!

But it would truly be a loss to clean out the beauties, like the first two above!!👍👍

• Like 1