Sign in to follow this  
mn90403

Google Chrome And Xchange2

As a result of the Minelab 7000 firmware update I had reason to revisit Xchange2.

My story is that I had my main copy of Xchange2 on a computer that crashed.  My backup laptop included a copy that didn't support the 3030 and 7000.  I didn't want to loose the 3030 data so I renamed some files.

When I used Google Chrome to go to Minelab and download the Xchange2 program a popup came from Google and said this was a fishing site or malware site and could not download the Xchange2 program.  I had to open the Microsoft Edge (Exchange Browser) and get the file and install it that way.

Has anyone had Google Chrome block a Minelab download?

Mitchel

No. All I use is Chrome and no issues. However, if you install the update on the GPZ then your GPZ will no longer work with XChange. A fix is in the works but may be awhile.

Steve,

Thanks for the reply.

I got the update and transferred the file on Chrome just fine.  

I was just not able to get Xchange2.  Maybe it is the extension.  The download was blocked.

Is the GPS disabled on the 7000?  If it is still working it just can't be shared on Xchange2?

Mitchel

The GPS works you just can't interface the detector with XChange to do anything with saving the data. I may experiment if I get time for a work around.

I tried the XChange download again and it worked fine, here is the direct link:

XChange 2 Application (1.8.7-1.1.10) (69.54 MB)

Has anybody heard anything about the Xchange 2 problem being fixed, as it was not compatible  with the latest software upgrade for the 7000 was released many many months ago.  I am not sure why there has been no progress on the xchange2 problem and I get it that some people don't use it nor do they care, but for those of us that do use it and want it fixed as there has been ample time for Minelab programmers or whoever it is that fixes this stuff to get on with it.

We paid top $ for a top of the range ML GPZ7000 which had all these features and now it is crippled and it should be fixed.

cheers dave  

• Like 1

I agree. It seems the Equinox release has all hands on deck and everything else stalled in the meantime? Still, for those who paid the big bucks it is a situation of having to choose to run the older firmware to have XChange functional, or newer firmware to get the new Patch Mode etc. My solution with the season near upon me is to go back to the old firmware. I really should not have to do that, but right now it seems the only option.

Once again I ask the question.  If you use the new firmware and record GPS finds or waypoints this data should be in a data file, right?  If you switch back to the old firmware that can interface with Exchange2 then it should look for the data file, right?  I just don't know if it can see the data file on the GPZ so that it will transfer to the Exchange2 program.

Once done the data is backed up.  You could clear the data on the GPZ and then install the new version of GPZ firmware and repeat.

I would like to do this and try but I had an 'issue' with using an Exchange2 that was/was not compatible with my 3030.  I had installed different programs and then had a drive crash so ... I'm SOL. 

Too many other things on my plate right now to try it but in my mind if the data file uses the same extensions then it should be available for transfer.

Mitchel

The whole X Change thing was a pain in the backside, and outmoded before it began. Just a time waster and 'technology for technologies sake'. I soon gave up on it.

Reg,

I know what you mean.  I do use the GPS to my advantage when hunting the beaches.  I sometimes forget how many rings I find in a particular area and then I look at my map and slow down and the boundaries of the wave patch are clear.  The problem is that it only holds so many and then you have to save them on another device.

All of that could have been easier.

Mitchel

3 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Once again I ask the question.  If you use the new firmware and record GPS finds or waypoints this data should be in a data file, right?  If you switch back to the old firmware that can interface with Exchange2 then it should look for the data file, right?  I just don't know if it can see the data file on the GPZ so that it will transfer to the Exchange2 program.

Anything saved when running the newer firmware can't be accessed when downgrading to the older firmware. The data files are not compatible. The only way right now to have a functional GPZ interface with XChange is stay with the older firmware.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Stephen newell
      You have a new brother in the family. 
      Special thanks to each of you that gave me advise on this decision. Extra call out to Brian for checking the Zed out for me in person. Lot of respect for the tight group we have here. 
      Feel free to drop tips and hints in here or pm. I have read so many threads my eyes are bleeding lol. Come on 1 oz Nug.
      JW looking forward to nugget find sharing with you. 
      Fred low and slow, Check!
      Nenad hit me up with more of those tips, so I can pay for this thing lol lol.

• By Sourdough Scott
      Came across a post on Facebook, about this gentleman testing a few aftermarket coils. This really opened my eyes this morning. I was under the impression that the Minelab coils were chipped and no aftermarket coils could be used. If this was the case? Why did they wait so long? The smaller coil would suit my needs just perfectly.   http://golddetecting.forumotion.net/t26022-gpz-18-coil-test-report

• By Norvic
      Ok I am just passing this link on, as I found it of interest I feel others on DP perhaps may be interested. This is the first I`ve heard of such thus have no idea if it is for real but I hope it is so, we want lighter, smaller, even bigger coils for our Zs. and as we`ve experienced, with the aftermarket coils for SD-GPX series, increased finds, why not for the Z?
      http://golddetecting.forumotion.net/t25940p60-aftermarket-for-gpz
    • By Gerry in Idaho
      This might have already been posted I figured it would be faster to ask.  I have a potential client who is thinking of upgrading from a 5000 to a 7000.  The concern is his knees and he thinks he'll have both knees replaced next Spring.  I know a 5000 can be used with long shaft (I have customers with titanium knees), but the 7000 is a different beast.  Anyone know for a fact if it is possible or should he stick with the 5000?   It would be nice to hear from those who know from experience and have tried it. 

• By Steve Herschbach
      It has certainly been a busy year for me so far, with not as much detecting time as I would like. Still, I have been getting out a little and thought it was time to share a few photos.
      My first couple bits were found with the Minelab Gold Monster 1000 on some scouting runs. I am liking this detector as a grab and go unit for checking areas out quickly. I am not trying to hunt for max performance but instead looking to cover a lot of ground quickly to check things out. I have learned the GM1000 auto sensitivity actually suits me well for this. I just fire up the detector in all metal mode, full volume, and start with auto sensitivity set at Auto+1. Then I just start swinging. If noise intrudes (usually in salt areas) I will back down to Auto+0 (there are just two Auto settings available Auto and Auto+1).

Once the GM1000 gets out and about people will no doubt note the Auto settings are not the hottest. Which is why I like them. The GM1000 is a super hot machine already, so I am looking more for stability than anything else, and know it will pop hard on any small nuggets I get over. If I were pounding a patch hard I would use manual sensitivity and push it high, but that would introduce noise and require very careful hunting. For me however the GM1000 serves best as a light weight quick and dirty way to check new areas - just grab and go.
      I posted previously about finding a nugget using Auto sensitivity which is where I learned how useful the setting is. Here are two more small nuggets located using Auto+1. Both nuggets banged hard, one at maybe an inch and the other at about three inches. I am not trying to promote or to push the use of this setting, I am simply reporting what I am doing and you can decide for yourself if it is useful for you.

0.1 gram and 0.4 gram nuggets found with Minelab Gold Monster 1000 running in Auto+1 sensitivity
      I did finally get a GPZ 19 coil for my GPZ 7000 and it was time to give it a go. I tried one area I had hunted before in case a larger deeper nugget was lurking. My first lesson with the GPZ 19 was not how large and deep a nugget it can find but how small and shallow! The only thing I had missed and left to find was this less than 0.1 gram nugget. It was practically on the surface and so gave a small warble when it got close to the coil winding. I was surprised and impressed the coil can find gold this small.

The next location is one I scouted with the GM1000 and found the 0.4 gram nugget. The spot got my interest so I went back with the GPZ 7000 and 14" coil to hunt it. Turns out it was a nice little patch with some chunky gold! The ground was deep so I mounted up the GPZ19 and hunted it again. I did come up with one nugget I missed before, whether from sloppy detecting or just a little too deep I do not know. It was a little 1.2 grammer at around a foot down. I continued hunting outside my area and came up with another at 1.3 grams.

GPZ19 Nuggets
      I had removed the Minelab skid plate that came with the coil and replaced it with the closed Nugget Finder cover. I like this cover for uneven ground as it does not get hung up of rocks and sticks as much, but it does rapidly collect a pile of debris!

The coil did false if banged on a rock and would require care in rocky ground, though I was running it as hot as ever so that contributes to it. I usually hunt grassy and sagebrush country and it does well here just gliding on the grass, though if the grass is deep it will ride up on it above the ground. Still, the larger size gave me this feeling that I had a little extra insurance in that regard and so I used it to hunt over low brush where it might reveal nuggets hidden when others went around the brush. False signals from banging a rock aside I do think the coil actually runs a bit smoother with my Insanely Hot settings. The GPZ19 is slightly too heavy for me for general use in hilly terrain and too large for a lot of the sagebrush areas. It is just the ticket however for covering large open terrain and that is where it will see the most use with me in the future, or for pounding old deep patches. The extra pound was not quite as bad as I was expecting and in flatter ground just my regular bungee setup sufficed. I did try out the Hipstick though and think it a better option for long hours with this coil.

Well, lots of info there I hope people can get some use out of. It's always nice to be out prospecting whether or not I find any gold - but gold does help! 24 grams or about 3/4 ounce with largest nugget 4.5 grams or just shy of three pennyweight.

This post has been promoted to an article
    • By Steve Herschbach
      This year has not been going exactly as I imagined it would. My stated goal for the year was to set a new record for days in the field detecting. So far however, it has been anything but that. No complaint - I have been devoting myself to visiting family and other things that took precedence over prospecting. Weather has also been a bit dodgy this spring leading me to sit out things a little waiting for better conditions.

What time I have had for prospecting has mainly been spent in northern Nevada. I am really taken with the desert and am very partial to the sagebrush and grassland country. It reminds me a lot of the time I spent in Australia with huge wide open spaces to wander. I enjoy the idea that gold can be found nearly anyplace, the exact opposite of Alaska, and I love just wandering from valley bottom to hill top because, well, you just never know. There is some old and interesting geology here that leaves nuggets in what might seem to be pretty unlikely locations. I did find one nice little patch that produced about half my gold this spring, but the rest were just strangely random isolated nuggets. I would find one and get all excited, then after several hours of methodically gridding the area wonder why that one nugget ended up there all alone. My largest nugget, at 3/4 oz, was just such a find. I wandered out of what looked to be the "good area" and just lucked into this nugget all by itself on a hillside far above the valley floor. Where did it come from? Why nothing else near it?

I like to wander around freely but due to the nature of the gold deposits I am relying heavily on the GPZ 7000 map screen and GPS track to attack areas in chunks. I just start someplace and then use the GPS mapping screen to fill in all the pixels as completely as I am able in a given area. My goal is to completely hunt that area and then write it off forever as being hunted. Each hunt area is dumped to X-Change building my master map of hunted areas. I am approaching it much like building a jigsaw puzzle, each planned hunt taking in a segment and filling it completely. I still like to wander around a lot but the main focus is long term - the many years I have ahead of me hunting these areas. I could just do what I have always done and hunt piecemeal but I decided it is time to switch gears and get more methodical about things. I figure there is a lot of that random "scattered gold" out there and that a slower long term goal to gather it up is a major part of my plan going forward. Using GPS mapping is key to getting good coverage while eliminating the chance I might waste time hunting and rehunting the same locations over the years.

The GPZ is also critical to this effort as I have great confidence in its ability to sniff out almost any gold that finds its way under the coil. Small gold, flat gold, wire gold, deep gold - the GPZ is my gold vacuum. All detectors miss gold, including the GPZ. But right now if I have to hunt an area once and once only, and have my best shot at finding what might be there, I do not know of a better option for me than the GPZ 7000. One detector, one coil, one pass over the ground ever - what are you going to use?

If gold is found a person of course has the luxury of coming back with different coils and different detectors and trying to find gold missed before. The problem is finding that first nugget. If it does not get found, you just wander on, never knowing that maybe you just missed a great patch, for the lack of finding that first, most important nugget. I am convinced there are many undiscovered patches out there still. The patches with the big easy to find solid gold may be very rare now, but "weak" patches comprised of smaller, or deeper, and harder to find specimen type gold surely exist. They will be found by people hunting outside the commonly known popular areas. That is what I have been doing. Hunting locations where other prospectors are rarely if ever seen. I honestly think I have been a bit lucky as of late but the methodology is sound and it is what I will be doing for as long as I have left to swing a detector.

I continue to follow the various posts around the world about the GPZ 7000 and people's experiences with it. Mine are pretty boring. I turn the machine on, maybe do a quick ground balance routine, and go detecting. I may not even go through the ground balance motions. I just turn it on and pick up from where I left off the previous day. I usually run in High Yield, Normal Ground, Gain of 12, Smoothing Off, Ground Tracking On. I leave most audio settings alone. The detector will often run noisy with these settings, especially in alkali locations. I may lower the threshold to 20 to knock out some excess noise, or just lower the overall volume level using my headphones. The GPZ lacks a master volume control that lowers all sounds at once, and so benefits from the use of an external booster with master volume control. The problem for me is that is one more battery operated gizmo, and so I often just use my headphones instead to gain the overall volume control I crave. I tend to run my detectors noisy but like it to be quiet/noisy not loud/noisy.

When the ground responses get a bit much, as is the case with ground salt, I react more by slowing down and modifying my swing than changing detector settings. So far I would say about half the gold I found was pulled out of fairly high salt response ground with the attendant moaning/groaning or hee/haw responses the GPZ produces in that type of ground. That seems to be a show stopper for a lot of people but I don't pay much attention to it myself. I have this theory that killing those responses might kill my gold finding capability on this ground to a certain extent, as I know some of these locations have seen other detectors that ignored the salt. They also missed the gold. Coincidence? Maybe. I have plans for more experiments regarding this but have had a hard time tearing myself away from my limited detecting time to do more comparative tests. Later.

Anyway, I have quietly picked up just over a couple ounces of gold with my GPZ 7000 so far this spring. The largest nugget is 3/4 oz and there are several other nice pieces I am very happy with. Nice solid, clean gold, my kind of stuff. An odd mix from very worn appearing to rough. I am unfortunately getting waylaid again with things I must attend to before I can go prospecting again and so I decided I may as well post this update now. It could be weeks before I get out prospecting again. Until then, here are some happy pictures to enjoy.

More Information on Minelab GPZ 7000
      Click photos for larger versions...

This post was promoted to an article