GPZ 7000 vs GPX 5000 - Video by JP!

Here is another one, this by Gerry McMullen and crew. Looks to be Majuba/Rye Patch region, northern Nevada? Gerry is the consummate salesman so there is a bit of that here but I have no doubt about the reality of the finds themselves.

That is a prototype unit - orange coil. I am at the Minelab dealer conference in New Orleans as the secret guest speaker on the GPZ 7000. Gerry is sitting across the aisle from me, and they announce they have a video to play. The real short intro video posted earlier, done by Gerry. I went over and said "you dog" and slapped him on the back.

This stuff is all so hush hush neither of us knew the other was involved!

Gerry is a nice guy, really works hard for his customers. I got to know him when he brought a group up to my Moore Creek Mine the very last week I was running the show. We found a pile of gold that week and he and his group helped make it a very memorable and bang up going away week for me.

Minelab GPZ 7000 Field Test & Review

• Like 1

Now we know why you have been absent - busy you are!

And Happy Birthday My Friend!

Nice video JP!!!

That's what i have been aching to see...

Keep them coming!

Steve, maybe you and Chris should get one of those nifty hat cams..lolol

That looked pretty easy ..I may have to get one meself..

my go pro is in a box somewhere. ...

There, in 8 minutes, is the most powerful *exposition of the 7000 to date

produced by a master prospector and videographer.

There is a reason JP is admired by so many of us.

Please note: I had originally put "promotion" instead of "exposition" in the sentence above.

That was my imprecise and sloppy wording.

This is not a promotional video,

it is JP giving us a gift:

an inside look into what he has been learning about the GPZ 7000.

It is an important distinction. 

• Like 2

Here is another one, this by Gerry McMullen and crew. Looks to be Majuba/Rye Patch region, northern Nevada? Gerry is the consummate salesman so there is a bit of that here but I have no doubt about the reality of the finds themselves.

That is a prototype unit - orange coil. I am at the Minelab dealer conference in New Orleans as the secret guest speaker on the GPZ 7000. Gerry is sitting across the aisle from me, and they announce they have a video to play. The real short intro video posted earlier, done by Gerry. I went over and said "you dog" and slapped him on the back.

This stuff is all so hush hush neither of us knew the other was involved!

Gerry is a nice guy, really works hard for his customers. I got to know him when he brought a group up to my Moore Creek Mine the very last week I was running the show. We found a pile of gold that week and he and his group helped make it a very memorable and bang up going away week for me.

Minelab GPZ 7000 Field Test & Review

During the second nugget dig, that's yours truly in the background. That was the same day we shot footage for the "15 Nuggets in 4 Hours with the SDC 2300" video. Two fantastic machines made that hammered old patch come back to life. It was amazing to see the new GPZ 7000 in action!

• Like 1

I'm not so sure the GPX doesn't pick up something here. If you look closely, JP runs the coil of the GPZ 7000 over a small white stone when he gets the signal. When he runs the GPX over the same ground the white stone is only close to the coil at the very beginning and end of the footage and there is a faint sound. At other times he moves well away from it so of course there is no signal. Would also have been interesting to see the GPX signal once a bit of ground was cleared with the pick.

Anyway, it's clear that the GPZ has a stronger signal, but I'm not certain that the GPX doesn't catch something.

I also agree with something Steve said in another thread, that just slowing down and taking your time to sweep properly is a major factor in picking up a signal. This will probably happen with people using machines like the SDC 2300, ATX and now the GPZ 7000 where they are going over ground that has seen many detectors before and there is a will to want to find that missing gold (whether it's even there or not!). It could be that just sweeping the coil better and listening harder is what is finding the new gold, not just which detector it is.

There is a signal from the GPX - JP mentions it himself in the video. But it is extremely weak.

The problem with video of course is people see what they want to see. If the desire is to see proof the GPZ is better, that is what you see. If you are skeptical of the GPZ, you see a dozen reasons why the GPX could have done better. It is one big reason I am not very excited about doing video myself.

For instance if you want to go down the rabbit hole you can just go with the possibility that maybe all the GPX needed was a 16" mono. The GPZ has no coil options at this time. Or if the GPZ hits a small specimen, you can mention that the GPX may have hit it with a small coil. Or different timings.

What gets overlooked is that the GPZ is doing what the GPX can do with a bigger coil, or a smaller coil, or different timings, all at once with one setting and one coil. Yeah, I think the GPX in multiple passes with multiple coils and different settings can give a GPZ with a single setting and coil a run for the money in many cases. As long as you have time to hit the same ground multiple times. And even then, the GPZ will hit some gold a GPX just can't hit.

Any light bulbs?

For me pounding old patches is fine and dandy, but my personal use of the GPX is going to be for patch hunting and knowing that I have the best shot first time no matter what in a single pass of getting what is there. I am going to spend most of my time this summer detecting on ground that has hopefully never seen a coil, and it will see mine just once.

Honestly though, if you have a GPX 5000 and a bunch of coils and know which timings to use and a SDC 2300 and the time to apply it all in various combinations, then you are pretty well set, and no burning need to get a GPZ 7000.

• Like 2

I noted the noise, stability, differences between the GPX and GPZ as well as the target response.  I have to agree one will see what they want to but that kind of stability and response says volumes to me :)  Well done! 

Didn't loose a lot of time ground balancing either with the GPZ unlike the GPX and that is a big plus as well.