X Coil 17x12 Trial Run

Condor

Thanks to Davesgold and the X-Coil manufacturer, I got a gifted 17x12 Spiral Wound coil. The manufacturer took notice of my multitude of problems with the connector modification and sent me a new coil from Russia.  Bravo Zulu X-Coil for prospector support.  The weather has improved here in Sunny Yuma so I replaced the 17" round with the new coil and took it for a spin.  I balanced it over the ferrite with no problems and I experienced no bump sensitivity. 

The first thing I noticed is how well the coil balances on my modified hip stick rig.  I do a lot of detecting in the walls of desert washes, putting the coil on its side.  The 7000 tends to get the "wee waas" if you don't keep them flat, but this coil seemed to really tone it down and it balanced really nice for less strain on my arm and shoulder.  On relatively flat ground I think I could swing this coil all day for less wear and tear on my 65 yr old frame.  I ultimately didn't find anything in the walls, but I hit some old hillside drywash tailings and popped these 3 nuggets.  All were at moderate depths but I was amazed at some of the deep iron bits I found.  Without some side by side target comparisons I can't say that my depth is improved, but I'm getting a lot better ground coverage and I can poke it in between rocks and obstructions.  Even if this coil is no better than the original Minelab 14", it's a lot more versatile.   This will be my go to coil from here on.  I'll stick the 17" round on over worked out patches, but this is my new secret weapon.

Again, many thanks to Davesgold and X-Coil

X Coil 2021 News

020.jpg

It’s good to hear things have finally come good for you after your trip to OZ. I too have one of those new coils waiting to be tried out on some of our variable ground in Clermont. Good to hear the Ferrite balance is happening properly and that touch sensitivity has reduced (most touch sensitivity on a GPZ on any coil happens in General Difficult BTW not so much in High Yield). 

Cudo’s to the X coil people for being so generous. 

JP 

A good story.