Two Bucket Listers In Two Days

Rick73

I know little about American coinage but the Half and Full Dollar coins in your first photo sure are beautiful coins !  Congrats ,  and good luck with finding a gold coin , they seem to turn up when you least expect one .

11 minutes ago, Dances With Doves said:

picnic groves were his favorite place for coins.    

Many moons ago ... I would go to the library and look through the micro film machines with attention on the 1870 - 1880's local newspapers.  Every Summer there were clam bakes and ice cream socials in the groves. They were a big form of entertainment. Usually after the event there was a report on how many people attended and the festivities that went on. Lots of nickel and dime games and chances at some of them. Even the kids had a coin or two they could spend.

It was a great way to locate the old clam bake groves and a great way to line my pockets with old silver.

Wow GB,

The price of that Coin book is more than alot of coins!! $240-$400 dollars!!😱

Rick,

Those coins are beauties! But that Buffalo was a killer find! I'm sad you sold it, but happy you reinvested in the hobby! 

And i think you need to expand your bucket list!😂👍👍

IMG_4379.thumb.jpg.9f681e8be84f4e6231e500ca08173c64.jpgThanks everyone for the nice comments. The nickel on the right in the first photo is the 1885. Very poor at best. I also found the photo of the 1918/17D saved in my computer. I sent it into ANACS and came back graded F15. By the way Steveg, I have your shaft setup with the Herke cuff. Love it!IMG_0487.thumb.jpg.b312c7e98d04e103ae4f64f25435c4ce.jpg

IMG_0488.jpg

12 hours ago, Rick73 said:

I also found the photo of the 1918/17D saved in my computer.

If that isn't your find-of-a-lifetime I'd like to know what is.  Just beautiful, IMO.  (Excellent photo, too.)  I don't expect to ever match or beat that, but I guess I can hope, and thanks for proving it's possible.  Reminds me of strick's 1918/17-S quarter find.  I would be giddy for a month (at least) if I found a rarity such as either of those.

12 hours ago, Joe D. said:

The price of that Coin book is more than alot of coins!! $240-$400 dollars!!

I suspect Whitman (authors) are working on a new edition and this one (6th edition) is out-of-print.  The 5th edition is available for a much more reasonable price, and if I'm right the 7th edition will be, too.  If it were I (and I didn't already have th 6th) I'd either wait for the 7th or maybe pick up the 5th, possibly a used copy.  Of course there are always new entries but most of the valuable/interesting ones don't change from edition to edition other the estimated value and possibly survivability estimates.  (Always exceptions, though.)