Whites MX Sport Waterproof Metal Detector

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Paul (Ca)

Hello digger Bob,

One of my reasons for deciding to get the MX Sport is the prospecting mode, this is great for fresh water black sand gives the user an advantage. Plus, The 10" center mount coil is the perfect size for wading in water or surf. The center mounted coil eliminates coil flopping, plus no need for coil bracket to stabilize the coil locked in position.

I'll take an MXT prospecting mode over a AT-Gold anyday, MXT prospecting mode is much more defined especially iron audio. If the MT Sport prospecting mode is enhanced even more, all the better.

Thanks for sharing what you could, We appreciate both you and Whites!

Paul

Digger Bob

Sounds like we'll be getting a lot in a small waterproof package and at a fair price.

Thanks for the info.

Chuck

sounds like a great unit, even without the digging arm. you have to pony up the big bucks for a gpz to get the digging arm.(thats what I heard)

I saw that post but frequency is the same as the MXT so I am not sure what Andy was thinking. Maybe the DFX reference threw him, but the MXT and the DFX do share coils. He is right of course about the eight pins, as I go into at length at http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/1533-whites-mx-sport-waterproof-metal-detector/?p=18793 but that in itself does not preclude an adapter.

I would not buy the MX Sport thinking it can share MXT coils but with all due respect to my good buddy Andy I do not think it is a foregone conclusion yet that it will not.

On 1/25/2016 at 0:02 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

Coil Interchangeability On The White's MX Sport

There are currently around 20 accessory coils that work with the White's DFX, M6, MX5, SST, V3i, MXT, and MXT Pro. It it nice not only having so many coils available but ones that work on quite a few models. A lot of people already have money invested in these coils. It sure would be nice if they worked with the MX Sport - but will they?

There is the obvious issue of the MX Sport using a waterproof connector, and a simple adapter would seem to be the solution. It unfortunately may be more complicated than that. The existing coils all have a 5 pin connector. The MX Sport has an 8 pin connector, and all eight pins appear to be in use.

What are the three extra wires for? My guess is White's is employing smart coil technology to identify different coils to the detector. Cynics will think this is to control the manufacture of coils. Regardless of any motivations there allowing the machine to know what coil is on it allows for adjustments to be made in parameters like the depth reading. This is normally calibrated on a detector to a US dime using the stock coil, but the minute you change coils the calibration goes out the door. With smart coils you can adjust for each coil. There can be differences in concentric versus DD performance that con be accounted for, so this is a good thing from a performance perspective.

If the idea is to control who can make accessory coils then the three wires can sense some sort of id chip code also. The problem if that is the case then existing coils are not likely to work, even if an adapter from the 8 pin waterproof connector to the 5 pin dry land connector can be fabricated, unless that adapter also defeated the id check. Or if controlling who makes coils is not an issue, then perhaps the extra wires can just be ignored and the coils will work, albeit without the extra smart coil functionality.

Lot of speculation based on three wires! Personally I think White's would be hurting sales by not allowing faithful White's owners to leverage existing coil collections somehow so I am still hoping for an adapter. Otherwise at this time there is only the existing stock 10" round DD coil plus two accessory coils available for the MX Sport, the 10" x 5.5" elliptical DD (be a nice nugget coil) and the 9.5" round concentric (be a good low mineral beach coil).

hmm....so which coils do you like?

What do I like? My Big Foot coil. Unfortunately endless lobbying on my part with White's failed. Too labor intensive, not a volume type thing. My argument over and over is people will pay big bucks for them, just look at eBay used prices for them, and that they are the sort of coil that will make people buy the brand that makes the machines that run them. Kind of a prestige item if you will. Still a no go with the powers that be.

The other coil not currently being offered for the MX Sport that is a bit of a no-brainer is the 4" x 6" Shooter coil.

Frankly, I wish White's would ditch near their entire coil lineup and start over. The new 10" round DD looks like a modern coil. All the old thick foam filled been around for years because we still have the same old mold we have been using for decades coils need to go away. I mean the Shooter is a decent coil but compared to a 20 year old Fisher Gold Bug 2 6" elliptical it is a bit embarrassing. Pretty much the same story with every White's coil so if they are going to make me start over and buy brand new coils, at least give me brand new modern thin profile coils.

And a Big Foot!

My favorite coil for the MXT, so far (at least for non-prospecting uses) has been the 6X8 SEF.  Maybe Detech will make some aftermarket coils that will function with the MX Sport, if White's does not.  One can hope several coil options become available.

I feel Steve hit the nail on the head. Whites just needs to overhaul their coil line up.  When they introduced the MX5 with a  9" Spider Coil, I thought maybe they might start redesigning the eclipse series of coils.  The fact that one of the three coils that will be available for the MX Sport is the ol' 950 coil. That coil was introduced in 1988, was a bit thinner, then fattened up through the years.  Why they still have that coil around, when the 9" Spider ( a much better coil I feel) is available is beyond me.

With the introduction of the MX Sport would have also been a good time to introduce a new series of coils. And i really feel they need to have a coil adapter in which to use all eclipse coils. Heck I have 5-6 eclipse coils already and a few SEF as well. If I have to buy another round of the exact same coils ( different connection) in order to use the MX Sport, it becomes less appealing.  I personally really don't have a need for a waterproof machine, and if I can't use existing coils.....well I will prob pass on this machine and just keep using my MXT Pro and M6 if I want to use a Whites machine.

I am still not convinced that performance wise, it will exceed the performance of the MXT(s). In fact the more I look at this machine the more convinced I am it is just an expanded Treasure Pro with functions to mimic what the MXT(s) could do and leverage the very popular MXT name. ( as far as performance, I look at this from a ghost town ,iron infested site P.O.V.) Which as of now, being I hunt iron infested sites, I need a small coil for this machine, not the three that are currently available with the machine. 

LOL The one advantage of the MX Sport is that it leaked out during the "cabin fever" period and gives us a chance to get our minds off winter and concoct great conspiracy theories and what not.  Last winter it was the Racer buzz, this winter the MX Sport.