Whites MX Sport Waterproof Metal Detector

On 3/9/2016 at 2:33 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

People have been complaining about the modulation on the MX Sport, and half the problem is they are running the Gain too high. 

And according to Whites the other half of the problem is the modulation is only effective in high mineralization. IE in air or low mineralization no tangible results as modulation is dependant on ground mineralization to function.

Well, you have one, right? What are you seeing?

My comment about running gain too high is true but may not be the actual problem in this case. Saying it only works in high mineralization sounds very much like an excuse. Since when has that ever been a requirement with any detector that has modulation?

It either works the way people want it to work or not.

25 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Well, you have one, right? What are you seeing?

My comment about running gain too high is true but may not be the actual problem in this case. Saying it only works in high mineralization sounds very much like an excuse. Since when has that ever been a requirement with any detector that has modulation?

It either works the way people want it to work or not.

I'm just conveying what Whites told me when I had contacted them to express my concerns and alert them to a potential issue. I've never heard of mineralization being a requirement for modulation either. Like I said I called Whites to ask them to check into it and that is what I was told. Either it's true or it's not, but they are aware of the issue now. I'll have to try the modulation on in the dirt some more because I basically gave up on it after dismal air testing results. I'll keep you posted but I wouldn't hold my breath that the results will be any different than what is already being observed by other users.

Oh yeah I am sorry if I sounded otherwise - I know you are just passing on what you were told. What I meant was it just sounds like an excuse from White's as to why it is not working right. I appreciate your contribution on all this!

New feature - high mineral modulation?

am I the only person on this forum who doesn't understand what you guys are talking about?

Modulation is when the deeper a target is the fainter the sound. In other words, it sounds deep.

The problem is that means very deep targets are very faint. You can also have the machine just boost all signals so they are all very loud. That makes them all easy to hear, but also makes a deep target sound like a shallow target.

Neither is better per se and I consider it a personal preference thing. People can argue why either is best for them. The secret is just offer both, either modulation on or modulation off.

For those that do not like modulation on thin is no big deal. For those that like modulated targets (I do) it can be a deal breaker.

• Like 1

thanks, does my gmt have modulation? and why would anyone care if the target is deep or shallow if you id it as gold, then you dig right.

No prob Steve, I knew what you meant. To me if I were to describe exactly what I'm hearing it would be like this. I have an old Tesoro bandido and had an outlaw. I generally like DD coils so naturally I ordered  a sharpshooter coil to use on them. Both of these machines have wonderfully modulated audio but when I put the sharpshooter coil on them it disappeared and was replaced with horrible crackling. The effect was worse with the bandido wich had the most modulation and only seemed to work somewhat with my silver micromax that has a less pronounced modulation. Maybe Andy can chime in as he is the only one who has more than one coil? I could be wrong to and it just don't work that well.

35 minutes ago, gambler said:

thanks, does my gmt have modulation? and why would anyone care if the target is deep or shallow if you id it as gold, then you dig right.

I think the GMT has vco in all metal. So modulation would be like vco but in a tone form.

Anymore, I kinda look at Whites as the old Whites and the new Whites. The old Whites with Alan H. and Carl M. produced some pretty darn good  machines up till the MXT All Pro (excluding the Prizm series).  I look at the MX5 as the transition period. Old management left and a new CEO and new engineers arrived. The MX5 is a good machine, but could have been better....it's the machine they started taking mfg shortcuts with. Headphone jack could have been placed where it has always been placed.....under the armcup with battery housing. No lock track to name a few. Even the Racer with its small battery housing has the headphone jack in the right spot :)  

The "new" Whites after a good wait, gave us the Treasure Master/Pro.......oops !!!!  Now we arrived at the MX Sport. It does have a nice solid build. Is a bit heavy or seems that way do to it being a bit nose heavy with the 10"DD coil. Monte and I did get a chance to play with one at a small dealer in our area. As far as Prospecting mode we didn't try that, so can't really comment. The coin hunting modes...well to be polite....I think Steve Howard is wrong in his comment about the cute frenchie thing. We did a few simple test, granted not scientific, but....we didn't get a "wow" factor feeling....if I needed a machine to go swimming with, The MX Sport would work good. If I needed a machine to hunt dry land, I would feel very confident my M6 or MXT Pro would do that task just as well , maybe a bit better (coin hunting POV). However, I would like to give the MXS another shot, if and when they get a small coil for it. For a lot of folks and the hunting they do, I feel the 10"DD isn't doing the machine any favors especially if you encounter trashier areas.