Ground Noise In Hot & Cold Ground With GPZ7000

ozgold

I'm pretty new at chasing the yellow stuff with approx. 200hrs gpz use under my belt & reading detector prospector forum with much interest & learning lots. Thank you all !!

I have been detecting a patch over the past month getting 1 & 2 gramers here & there, unfortunately at the moment due to work commitments i can only detect during the day. Using the zed factory pre-set setting and adjusting the sensitivity, ground type & audio smoothing on or off, was wondering if someone could help answer these questions.

Does the temperature of the ground influence the clarity & or the signal strength ?

If i come back in winter when the ground is colder will the ground noise be less ?. How about freshly rain soaked ground !! does that make a difference to GN or signal strength.

Cheers ozgold

Some guys report getting better responses from their detectors in wet ground. I found a nice nugget at depth once after it had rained the night before so I'm a believer. However I hadn't detected that ground before so I can't say with any real certainty if it helped. Wet ground might help with the conductivity of metal targets a little.

Thanks for your feedback Tortuga I recon a few buried targets in dry ground then soaking them could get a change in signal strength and of GB therefore giving a result. I will also try and find a natural target signal in the bush and then give it a soaking to find any change. I will let you know the results

I haven't detected in water before and I am a bit hesitant to submerge my coil if fear of water entry.

Can someone in the US buy me a ticket in Powerball :D

I'm not going to get a second 7000 for my wife.  Too bad about that Scott.

• 2 weeks later...

If the ground has a salt component to it then it will become noisier when wet especially with the GPZ because the GPZ is more susceptible to salt signals. Generally speaking I find most machines become noisier when the ground is wet or has varying degrees of moisture (wet top layer and dry bottom later).

Generally in summer the weather is more unstable so as the day proceeds EMI will increase as the more unstable weather approaches during the heat build up. In winter you are more comfortable so tend not to be so irritated by instability.

Main thing to watch out for on the GPZ is over-driving the Volume and Sensitivity, trust in the technology and learn to maintain control over the coil.

JP