New Permission - Old Farmhouse

7 minutes ago, JCR said:

That 1907 English Penny may very well have been brought back as a souvenir by a returning WW1 soldier. Perhaps the landowner's Grandfather? Each item found has a story.

Great thought! I'll have to ask the owner, he says his grandmother is still around, she's 85 so that doesn't add up. She would have been born in 1936. 🤔 Maybe a couple of generations lived there, but I'm not finding older stuff. Or, his grandfather married a MUCH younger woman... 😳 

The story is half of the farmhouse/field part of the hobby IMO. Appreciate the suggestion.

My experience with undetected old homesites is that they run the full spectrum, from those with very few old coins to a couple with dozens, and everything in between.  If I could only detect in one small area I would go for the clotheline every time.  But I even got skunked under one of those (but only once).

Excellent finds!  Yours is one of the threads I just found -- still getting caught up with my reading.  Savor that Walking Liberty Half!

8 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

My experience with undetected old homesites is that they run the full spectrum, from those with very few old coins to a couple with dozens, and everything in between.  If I could only detect in one small area I would go for the clotheline every time.  But I even got skunked under one of those (but only once).

Excellent finds!  Yours is one of the threads I just found -- still getting caught up with my reading.  Savor that Walking Liberty Half!

Thanks GB. The condition of the half dollar, Mercury Dime, and 1958 D quarter are quite surprising, despite the lack of high value. This was probably the best few days I have had since I started. The British penny looks good thanks to Les Crayons à André, I'm getting pretty good at using them. I only rinsed the silver coins being careful not to scratch them.

This is what it looked like out of the ground, at first I couldn't tell what it was:20210815_070452.thumb.jpg.d6a913184ea833245c4401dea46764b0.jpg

Nice hunts.... pretty place....hate to see mother nature swallow the thing up but thats just me...maintenance takes time and money

strick

3 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

The Walker is awesome.  Still on my personal list.  Looking good Bob - the silver is starting ramp up now - Congrats.

Well as quickly as it ramped up it fell off. 🤔 Still finding clad and modern coins tho. 😀20210815_133123.thumb.jpg.755442e2271bda2e302a524b0650f608.jpg

Dug all these in one hole this morning save for a nickel near the hunt club. Second time this has happened here. 🥳

There is a spot throwing high tones, but I've dug a foot and keep finding brick. Just this one little spot. Going to ask if I can use a bigger shovel there.

One side and the back of the house will be available late winter.

1 hour ago, strick said:

Nice hunts.... pretty place....hate to see mother nature swallow the thing up but thats just me...maintenance takes time and money

strick

That's what the owner said. 😀 They're going to knock the house down when they can. 

Maybe a worker, or homeless coin spill! Not that they could afford to loose it, but it often happens! 

Just a side note, I lost my silver wedding ring detecting earlier in the year! As near as I can figure, it's (was) on one of my beaches somewhere! But no worries, I've moved on to silicone, so none of you out there will profit from me again!!😂🤣👍👍

3 hours ago, Joe D. said:

Maybe a worker, or homeless coin spill!

It's a hunt club where I dug the coins, probably a hunter dropped them at a party. They were about 2" deep in about a 2' circle.