What Would You Be Willing To Pay For The Deus 2?

NCtoad

Those dirt cheap items are still in addition to the same Ole stuff that makes up a coil. Plus we're talking a 5yrs warranty and 10yr parts guarantee. Anyone seen the prices of some of those extended warranties? 😔 Maybe saving money in areas such as coil ear thickness would help get that price down a bit, but i am ok with XP not doing that! Nothing like trying to sell your used equipment down the line with obvious repairs done. Some I've seen were really atrocious looking white goop jobs too.  In this case, I think I may splurge a bit. But to each his own. 

I'm also not trying to justify the cost of these coils to the average person. But in relation to the cost of dumb coils for the top machines, I just don't think it is as much of a stretch.

Yes compared to the Nokta legend or vanquish line, it would appear ridiculous. But for the $150 to $175 extra that extra 2yrs warranty, 10yr parts guarantee and oh ya it's wireless! I'm in.

I also really appreciate the weight of this machine so much. I picked an older simplex a few weeks ago at a friend's place and couldn't believe how heavy it felt, there was a time when I didn't think so.

• Like 1

A processor too? Ok, but we're not talking about some latest gen gaming processor or rendering 4k video. It's an induction balance signal. Heck, an old school $10 Intel 386 could process that type of signal rather nicely 😉

I can see the warranty as an advantage though. So is it 5 years on workmanship and 10 years on parts? I know of the 5 years, but never heard about that 10 year thing that losfinder mentioned.

Also, the wireless aspect is one of those love or hate things. From what I've read, a lot more people complain about it, then say good things about it. However, that could very well be down to the natural tendency to speak about something that annoys, but not say much when satisfied. For me, I would much prefer a wired coil. Especially for my in water hunting.

• Like 1

Yes, my impression of the Deus detectors is the detector is the coil, the control pod is just a dumb terminal to give the user an interface to operate it by, which is why they also can be controlled from the headphones.

I can see why the Deus coils are more expensive for that reason, although in saying that they're not all that much more expensive, they're also good quality which is more than I can say for some coils out there.   VLF people need to put perspective into pricing, all their coils are dirt cheap compared to GPZ coils and even simple mono coils for the GPX series cost a lot, and often make VLF coils seem cheap even Deus coils. 🙂

We can't get into semantics about coil's being more expensive because they have components in them that are cheap such as processors, if you're having that argument every single detector is overpriced, as they have the same processors in their control pods etc.  We all know some detectors like the GPZ and GPX are hideously overpriced, but they're worth what people will pay for them, and the GPZ in particular sold very well for a $10,000 detector.

Buying a coil for the Deus is like buying an entirely new detector, it's a really cool concept in that way, my Deus 1 can be a low frequency detector, or one of the highest frequency detectors on the market all by changing the coil. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Digalicious said:

I can see the warranty as an advantage though. So is it 5 years on workmanship and 10 years on parts? I know of the 5 years, but never heard about that 10 year thing that losfinder mentioned.

Also, the wireless aspect is one of those love or hate things. From what I've read, a lot more people complain about it, then say good things about it. 

The 10yr parts guarantee, is something I came across. It's basically that XP will guarantee parts for their detectors will be available to make repairs or replacement for 10yrs.

The actual warranty is stil only 5yrs. But it's nice to know that if I need a part 8yrs from now, XP will still have it. (Not that it may necessarily be worth buying it versus something new).

But, it gives me that extra bit of confidence in the product and the company. Obviously they are saying this is a product they will continue to support for quite a while. Just like the original DEUS was.

I also have to agree about the wireless thing being a preference. I also can't speak too much to using it in water yet. I have only made it into about a foot of water so far.

But one of the reasons for buying it, was that I got anxiety whenever using my nox 800 in water. It never flooded, but it's been out of warranty for 2 yrs now. I just rather not risk it at this point.  I do love the wireless aspect when it comes to transporting my detector and also packing it away when I take it out with my bike. Sure the nox broke down and fit too, but with a lot more work and worry about the cable and cable nub on coil damaging inside the backpack. 

Bottom line is that I would not consider either  wired or wireless to be a deal breaker. But now that I am wireless, I can appreciate it, so far...

I just want to help anyone looking at a DEUS II, to overcome some concerns they may have. One which I had, was to be made to think the DEUS II is overly complicated. It maybe for some, but I really have to put this out there...

As far as the RC unit goes, I really don't find that to be the case at all!

I actually enjoy navigating it's menu. A few things I use often took a few more button presses than I would have prefered. But I quiclkly found that I could just make a separate program and just switch between those.

Ex: two programs that are the same, but one is XY the other numeric ID. One is pitch, the other square or pmw. .

I can now just switch the program to the XY version or a different sound profile by using only the -and + keys. It's actually faster than it was engaging the user profile button on the nox. And there is 12 available! Also, square is what I was use to and most of the time I ears think I am still using a nox, my shoulder knows better though. 😉

And to be fair, something that I dislike is the two separate buttons needed for the pin pointer on/off mode.  But I'm getting use to it. I also bet that some people even prefer it.

Sorry, I had to get that off my chest.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, phrunt said:

Yes, my impression of the Deus detectors is the detector is the coil, the control pod is just a dumb terminal to give the user an interface to operate it by

If that is true, then holy smokes, that's kind of amazing!

• Like 1

I'd have to say that after investing nearly $3000 in the Deus 2, I'm still very pleased with it and all its accessories now that I own and have used nearly all of them for everything except gold prospecting, which is a small niche here in Virginia. Still waiting on word of an elliptical small coil.

The D2 is by far the top detector in my region for relic hunting, and I'm seeing an increase of use at the beaches as well. It's easily more EMI resistant than others, and a joy to use all day, a relief for the aged. You pay more for the accessories to be able to walk when you get to your 70s. Don't like the arm cuff? Get a replacement shaft from a custom builder like you would for any other detector.

Show me another company that makes a machine that comes with two detectors in the box. Show me another company whose coil can be duct taped to a walking stick or even handheld and still communicate with a waterproof remote. The D2 is the most versatile detector available. Oh, and show me another 5 year warranty while you're at it.

I've dunked that machine in salt rivers and surf, and just spray it off with a hose when i get home. After a year and a half of salt and field abuse I have yet to see a speck of rust or corrosion on it, I don't use any sort of screen protector and the screen is still fine, some tiny scratches from sand. I've only broken a couple bolts from over tightening them so far. I'd rather have a $4 bolt break than a coil ear any day.

I've taken a piece of coax and validated the claim that the WS6 remote can be used in the water up to a reasonable depth, and it's entirely possible that with enough coax it would reach the WS6 module in a water resistant bag on my arm should i want to dunk the whole shaft and coil. Haven't connected the bone conduction headphones to the WS6 yet, but that might even interest me. Heck with enough coax, you might be able to connect the coil to a submersible ROV with a camera, and sit on a paddle board! Your next problem would be digging what it finds. 😀 I've also found that the coil can be charged on the fly by connecting a light backup battery to it.

There's a wonderful old maxim:

"Don't knock it if you haven't tried it."

To me, negative speculation is irrelevant from the uninitiated or inexperienced. The D2 is well worth the investment. I notice the OP is still going strong with his. 🙂

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Digalicious said:

There has been some really good information about the D2 in this thread. Sheesh, I'm near the epitome of skeptical, but I must admit, I'm now thinking about trying a D2.

Don't think about it---just do it!! :)-----You won't be sorry.

3 hours ago, D&P-OR said:

Don't think about it---just do it!! 🙂

😅

That's the kind of thinking that got me in trouble in my younger days! Due to that, in my later years I had some sort of "rebound" or "about face", and became the proverbial miser 😁

Anyway, with (apparently) most of the brains in the coil, and how it's kind of like two detectors in one, is really intriguing.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

I'd have to say that after investing nearly $3000 in the Deus 2, I'm still very pleased with it and all its accessories now that I own and have used nearly all of them for everything except gold prospecting, which is a small niche here in Virginia. Still waiting on word of an elliptical small coil.

The D2 is by far the top detector in my region for relic hunting, and I'm seeing an increase of use at the beaches as well. It's easily more EMI resistant than others, and a joy to use all day, a relief for the aged. You pay more for the accessories to be able to walk when you get to your 70s. Don't like the arm cuff? Get a replacement shaft from a custom builder like you would for any other detector.

Show me another company that makes a machine that comes with two detectors in the box. Show me another company whose coil can be duct taped to a walking stick or even handheld and still communicate with a waterproof remote. The D2 is the most versatile detector available. Oh, and show me another 5 year warranty while you're at it.

I've dunked that machine in salt rivers and surf, and just spray it off with a hose when i get home. After a year and a half of salt and field abuse I have yet to see a speck of rust or corrosion on it, I don't use any sort of screen protector and the screen is still fine, some tiny scratches from sand. I've only broken a couple bolts from over tightening them so far. I'd rather have a $4 bolt break than a coil ear any day.

I've taken a piece of coax and validated the claim that the WS6 remote can be used in the water up to a reasonable depth, and it's entirely possible that with enough coax it would reach the WS6 module in a water resistant bag on my arm should i want to dunk the whole shaft and coil. Haven't connected the bone conduction headphones to the WS6 yet, but that might even interest me. Heck with enough coax, you might be able to connect the coil to a submersible ROV with a camera, and sit on a paddle board! Your next problem would be digging what it finds. 😀 I've also found that the coil can be charged on the fly by connecting a light backup battery to it.

There's a wonderful old maxim:

"Don't knock it if you haven't tried it."

To me, negative speculation is irrelevant from the uninitiated or inexperienced. The D2 is well worth the investment. I notice the OP is still going strong with his. 🙂

Yes to your last sentence.  I absolutely love my D2.  So much so, in fact, that I have absolutely no desire to buy a manticore!  I’m looking forward to downloading the new update.  

• Like 3