New Site Relics And Coins

It's been a year and a day since I joined DP. 🥳 My finds today weren't spectacular, but I did find something interesting at least. Nobody is posting relic or coin finds 🤔

Cold day today, never got out of the mid 40s. I went to a new permission, a very old place in town where not only can I hunt the main farm that was set up in the 1740s, Using old USGS topos and aerials I was able to identify 5 other sites within the 1,000 or so acres I managed to get permission to.

Today I searched around this old house.20211221_112923.thumb.jpg.09663a6d6622a93a4f63f3d500a443b1.jpg

It was on the 1917 USGS map, I was hoping I'd find some interesting stuff here but the place is littered with beer cans and other trash. I was able to squeak out one memorial, and a thin copper button, and in the field in front the remains of a very old lock of some kind. I'll probably go back there in the future but it's really difficult to navigate the overgrowth.

I decided to go across the highway to a site right next to the old farm, again a house was there in '17 but it's gone now. After finding lots of aluminum bottle caps and poking around in general, I figured out where the house was and searched that area. Got 9 more coins.20211221_141449.thumb.jpg.d8dd1d48e6749d7a45b02dc06fe0dce7.jpg

The tree on the left was right next to the house, if I looked carefully I could see where the foundation was. The tree even has remnants of an old swing.20211221_155650.thumb.jpg.029eebcbf5a1874cec1537ca61406d1b.jpg

Here are the total finds for the day, 1 old thin copper button. 10 coins, the oldest being a 1940 wheat, and the newest is a 1982 memorial. I believe the house was removed in the 90s. I'll have to go back to look for silver but I have heard this place has been gone over.20211221_202941.thumb.jpg.f71bd2ee4ad1482bfdf94b3c24ce6d5b.jpg

My most interesting find was this, it was originally gold plated:20211221_183942.thumb.jpg.e290aa1af939cea979234a3e5a3f85c7.jpg20211221_184001.thumb.jpg.533247f5d1e90ff2dce17969bbafe988.jpg

It's an "Alexander The Great" pendant. It seems old but you can still get it on Amazon for $30 🤣. I have no idea why anyone would have it or lose it for that matter. 🤷 

https://www.amazon.com/Two-Sided-Ancient-ALEXANDER-Pendant-Necklace/dp/B07HBT2SWV

Happy Forum Birthday!

That place looks promising. Where you able to figure out where the walkways were, any clotheslines locations and any gardens they may have had? Doesn't look like it had a lot of crowds or big gatherings so drops most likely near most active areas. Bet there is more there than what you plucked out.

The standing old house had a driveway, usually I find coins. Nothing but aluminum. Across the street yes, I'll have to search it more.

Nice work once again there 350  Amazon has took the wind out of my sails more then once as well...But I still like the pendant...it appears they have been popular for  along time so you may be right in that it's old...looks like the original design was from the ancient coin?

strick  

15 hours ago, strick said:

Nice work once again there 350  Amazon has took the wind out of my sails more then once as well...But I still like the pendant...it appears they have been popular for  along time so you may be right in that it's old...looks like the original design was from the ancient coin?

strick  

Thanks! Worst case 90s I guess. I forget that's 30 years ago. 🤔 The house was removed then. The one on Amazon appears to have poor plating too. Sure would like to have found an original. 😁

Sounds like you’ve got one of those places where you’re going to have to dig out the old cans and large metal to get more good finds.  I’ve got a small area like this near my house and though it’s frustrating, it’s a good place to go if I don’t feel like getting in the car to go to another site.  Good luck!   I’m sure there’s some silver hiding there.  

10 minutes ago, NCtoad said:

Sounds like you’ve got one of those places where you’re going to have to dig out the old cans and large metal to get more good finds.  I’ve got a small area like this near my house and though it’s frustrating, it’s a good place to go if I don’t feel like getting in the car to go to another site.  Good luck!   I’m sure there’s some silver hiding there.  

The 1940s wheat does put it on the silver side, but whether people are tight fisted with their silver or it's been picked over is the mystery. I'm digging all high tones and low tones. Unless silver ever sounds as iron this is about what I get. The amount of trash was staggering, I got tired of digging aluminum bottle caps that came in at 19/20. All the 30s were steel and newer things like a cable splitter. Even the beer cans are deep here. 🤬

11 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

I'll have to go back to look for silver but I have heard this place has been gone over.  (emphasis mine)

Eight 95% copper cents on the day.  You know what that means.

Good start.  That first place looks very difficult to get the coil on the ground.  I've not done well in that environment (but kac has, so it's possible).

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

Eight 95% copper cents on the day.  You know what that means.

Good start.  That first place looks very difficult to get the coil on the ground.  I've not done well in that environment (but kac has, so it's possible).

This place is right next to the highway, the only highway here really. Lots of traffic whizzing by at 55+. I might switch to my ear-covering headphones so I can hear that doggone silver. 😁 It's also near the farm, the owner is a really nice guy who pretty much allows anyone who asks to hunt. He came by on a tractor and waved. His family has lived on this farm for 250+ years, they own both sides of the road for about a mile. The small houses are "staff" houses that were built in the mid to late 1800s. I'm going to hit a second one today, and another location where the house is now gone. The house pictured was only 3 rooms.

In the 90s they widened the highway to 4 lanes with a divider, and some of the land was lost. It's a pretty interesting place!

Kac almost has me convinced I need a Tesoro. 🙂

Interesting permission you have there. Those early 20th century sharecropper/tenant houses are always meager on coins and heavy on trash. With a history going back to 1740's AND 1000 acres there are some good finds there. Look for the high ground and water and old road beds. Think like people did 200 years ago. Visualize those Topo maps on a changed landscape.  It will take a lot of walking and scanning to find the Iron that will mark the OLD sites. I bet your efforts will be rewarded.