Small Coil For D2

WVdigger

53 minutes ago, phrunt said:

It's been said before but if you're limited with coils you're also potentially limited with finds, someone with a lesser detector can come along and find more than you just because they've got a coil they can get to the soil. 

I think a detector is only as good as it's coils. 

An 11" coil covering the ground of a huge field with sparse finds is painful, a 9" hunting in a rocky area where the coil can't get between the rocks to get to the ground is pointless.

A detector without a range of coils isn't a multi purpose detector.    I'm sure I don't need to tell anyone here this, it seems manufacturers struggle to understand it though.

It gives me a headache!

Totally agree! Even with the Deus 2 being so versatile. I still finding myself needing 3 different metal detectors to cover all my basis with coil options, depth requirements, and trash density of the different sites I hunt.

I'm thinking XP will come out with the 5x10 eventually for the D2. Probably won't be waterproof, but I'm ok with that. At that point I could ditch the D1, on second thought, maybe they won't offer the 5x10 for the D2. Just so they have a reason for people to still want an ORX or D1.

Yes, it seems they have no intentions of discontinuing the Deus 1, they've done enough to keep the two detectors different to make the first version still viable, it seems like they've taken a page out of some other manufacturers tactics book 🙂

I too think a smaller coil option would really open up more versatility for the Deus 2.  It would help coin, jewelry and relic hunters in dense areas of trash, prospectors in rocky areas or on uneven bedrock, and help users who hunt primarily in high to severely mineralized areas potentially mitigate bad ground affects better.  A nice plus is also lower weight and easier packing into remote areas.  

I personally prefer elliptical shaped coils for use in tight areas, so I'd definitely like to see an option for a coil like a 10x5.

1 hour ago, relicmeister said:

I just want my 9” coil now that I have D2 11” 

but down the road I’d love a small elliptical 

I too would like to get my 9" coil. Why they started out selling so many 11" coils is beyond me. Most people I know want the 9" but are forced to go with the 11" because that's all that's available. 5x10 is probably a year or 2 down the road if they make one at all. 

I wonder if that's because the dealers there ordered the 11" version thinking it'd be the popular one, the 9" version is available for purchase here.

According to my dealer they only had limited numbers of 9" available. I spoke to one dealer yesterday that out of 3 shipments has still never got a 9" coil.

On 2/17/2022 at 3:14 PM, phrunt said:

I wonder if that's because the dealers there ordered the 11" version thinking it'd be the popular one, the 9" version is available for purchase here.

Not likely a dealer order thing.  Certainly not in the US where the 9" coil is more popular.  I believe the 11" coils are popular in the UK in which field relic hunting  is the bread and butter dominant market for Deus.  It is for this reason and to maintain relevancy of Deus 1/Orx small white (hf) elliptical and the technical difficulty for creating a dive compatible Deus 2 (internal battery/chip limited real estate) that the small elliptical coil is unfortunately an unlikely accessory for D2.  In other words, XP is assessing that there is not a compelling business case for such a coil as it is not popular in the UK, perhaps, and the D2 is not being marketed as a primary prospecting detector.  (No folks, detector manufacturers would not intentionally leave money on the table by failing to develop and release a small accessory coil just to spite us. They certainly know the percentage of D1 small ellipticals they've sold vs. the other coils so have some idea of what the worldwide market demand for D2 would be).

Somewhat disappointing I agree, but not a "fatal flaw" for me, personally (because I own that coil form factor for both Nox and D1). I do think XP should abandon the dive proof feature if that is indeed the limiting factor in producing the small coil.

The lack of D2 round 9" coil availability at this stage IS simply annoying.  I will get the 9" standalone or as part of a future D2 "lite" package at some point.

Frankly, I used the 9" inch round 90% of the time on Deus 1. The 5x9.5 Deus hf coil is a desirable accessory but I certainly did not feel "limited in finds" without it.  I frankly killed it with Deus 1 and my white hf 9" coil, perhaps my favorite coil of all time for any machine and some spectacular finds to show for it (the Nox small elliptical is in a virtual tie for that title).   Now that I have my Nox with its 5x10 coil permanently affixed, I don't envision the Nox being replaced by the D2 (whether or not XP did provide a D2 small elliptical) so in reality it is kind of a wash and a moot point for me that the D2 small elliptical does not exist. 

Totally agree that lack of the small 10x5 elliptical coil for D2, is one of the main factors that keeps D2 from being a standalone jack-of-all-trades detector for those who don't own a D1 and/or Nox with a small elliptical.  Besides separation and small target sensitivity, it's small ground footprint is ideal for hot dirt conditions.

Not being privvy to whatever business case data or stubborness is involved in the XP decision making process for accessory coils, my take is XP definitely needs to reconsider their stance on not providing a small elliptical for D2.

A few posts back, GB wondered aloud when XP released the white HF coils in relation to Orx.  That was mid-2017 for the hf coils vs. 2018 for the Orx release.