Hot Off The Press! Nokta Legend First Look: Nokta Lengend Field Mode Target & Audio Check + Settings & Features

Nothing scientific, it's the first test I did on the Legend so I could get familiar with a variety of targets one could encounter when detecting in the U.S.   I do a quick walk thru testing Field Mode in full tones on a variety of targets to check out the Target ID aka TID and audio characteristics, as well as some of the settings of this new Equinox challenger as we get ready to take it to the field!!

• The title was changed to Hot Off The Press! Nokta Legend First Look: Nokta Lengend Field Mode Target & Audio Check + Settings & Features

Good to see & hear it. I'm looking forward to some field work.

Thanks,

Thanks for that, Cal, and I look forward to your field tests.  (Good to again see some of your best coin finds.  😄)

Regarding your dTID's on USA pennies, IMO the order and range of the N/M Legend values you show are consistent with the numbers I get for in-ground (moderate mineralization) performance with the M/L Equinox.  (This is not intended as a performance comparison so hopefully I'm not deemed to be stealing any Legend Thunder, but just to show the numbers you were getting were of no concern for those familiar with the Eqx who might be considering getting a Legend.)  These are Eqx Park 1 and Field 1 values, and let's assume a moderate depth of 3-4 inches.

95% copper Memorial cents (and clad dimes):  24-26.

Wheat Cents:  19-24 (the oldest ones tend to be at the low end of this range and the more recently minted towards the higher end).

Recent drop (minimally deteriorated) Zinc cents:  20-21.  (These are shallower than 3"-4", more like 0"-2".)

Zinc cents that have been in the ground for 2 or more decades:  17-19.  Note:  the less metal remaining the lower the dTID -- not surprising.

Indian Head Cents:  18-21.  Most of the ones I've found center around 20-21, but I may have been too selective and missed some lower dTID IHP's.

Oh, I'll throw in the 'adult' arcade tokens -- those are brass and fall right in there at 22-23.  Aluminum screw caps also although they can be as low as 20 when flattened.

To be clear, at 4" depth individual coins typically have a tight 1 or 2 dTID spread.  It's the variation over different coins, (IMO) probably due to how much the ground chemicals have affected them, that result in the wider spreads shown above.

Bottom line is that the variation you showed for the Legend air tests are consistent in their ordering with my moderate depth in-field Eqx dTID's.

One question for you:  I didn't pay close enough attention to see how many (if any) of the dTID notches you had silenced?  I was wondering if that one anomalous ring that didn't hardly give a peep may have been below that threshold.

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

Thanks for that, Cal, and I look forward to your field tests.  (Good to again see some of your best coin finds.  😄)

Regarding your dTID's on USA pennies, IMO the order and range of the N/M Legend values you show are consistent with the numbers I get for in-ground (moderate mineralization) performance with the M/L Equinox.  (This is not intended as a performance comparison so hopefully I'm not deemed to be stealing any Legend Thunder, but just to show the numbers you were getting were of no concern for those familiar with the Eqx who might be considering getting a Legend.)  These are Eqx Park 1 and Field 1 values, and let's assume a moderate depth of 3-4 inches.

Wheat Cents:  19-24 (the oldest ones tend to be at the low end of this range and the more recently minted towards the higher end).

Recent drop (minimally deteriorated) Zinc cents:  20-21.  (These are shallower than 3"-4", more like 0"-2".)

Zinc cents that have been in the ground for 2 or more decades:  17-19.  Note:  the less metal remaining the lower the dTID -- not surprising.

Indian Head Cents:  18-21.  Most of the ones I've found center around 20-21, but I may have been too selective and missed some lower dTID IHP's.

Oh, I'll throw in the 'adult' arcade tokens -- those are brass and fall right in there at 22-23.  Aluminum screw caps also although they can be as low as 20 when flattened.

To be clear, at 4" depth individual coins typically have a tight 1 or 2 dTID spread.  It's the variation over different coins, (IMO) probably due to how much the ground chemicals have affected them, that result in the wider spreads shown above.

Bottom line is that the variation you showed for the Legend air tests are consistent in their ordering with my moderate depth in-field Eqx dTID's.

One question for you:  I didn't pay close enough attention to see how many (if any) of the dTID notches you had silenced?  I was wondering if that one anomalous ring that didn't hardly give a peep may have been below that threshold.

Nah you're not stealing any Legend Thunder 🙂  The only thing silenced is via the "horseshoe" setting, which was set to "C" or Custom, it disc'd out 1-12 which is iron.    It's basically a programmable version of the EQX horseshoe,which has some presets plus one customizable setting.  The gold gilt two piece button has a steel keeper on it which pulled it under the FE disc setting on the "C" aka Custom horseshoe setting, so it was mostly silent.  The 'adult' arcade token would be representative of a similarly sized Western era brass token found in ghost tows, dump sites, old parks, etc.   😁

I agree with your assessment on the cents. 

49 minutes ago, NCtoad said:

Do the ferrous staples on your coin cards have any effect on the readings?

No, like coins I've tested not in a stapled holder are the same TID. 

I liked the video man. Keeping it real just grabbing stuff you found already and testing it. Seems strange that the one silver type ring it wouldn't hit at all? Was that a actual silver ring or something else? Also seems strange that the big 11" coil had such a hard time with that large coat button with the clip on it. I've never tried any of my machines with one of those clips, prob the same effect as a nail and the down the barrel test that most machines wont pass with a normal nail. The fact that it wont see that ring at all has me a bit concerned. 

On 12/27/2021 at 7:58 PM, Cal_Cobra said:

Nothing scientific, it's the first test I did on the Legend so I could get familiar with a variety of targets one could encounter when detecting in the U.S.   I do a quick walk thru testing Field Mode in full tones on a variety of targets to check out the Target ID aka TID and audio characteristics, as well as some of the settings of this new Equinox challenger as we get ready to take it to the field!!

Cal

When you get in the field could you take a look or guess at the multi frequency range ( low, mid, upper ) for each of detection modes: park, field, beach dry, beach wet & goldfield.  Thanks

16 hours ago, HardPack said:

Cal

When you get in the field could you take a look or guess at the multi frequency range ( low, mid, upper ) for each of detection modes: park, field, beach dry, beach wet & goldfield.  Thanks

Hey HP!

Pretty sure Dilek said that the beach mode uses 20kHz & 40kHz.  EDIT: She said that for Prospecting mode, not beach. .

Without being able to scope it, or use a RF analyzer, it would be difficult to determine.  Usually once these products get into the field,  there seem to be a few folks that will lab these up and record the frequencies used in various modes on an O'scope or a RF analyzer, I think plenty of folks are curious to see what their "secret" sauce is 🙂

Thanks Cal,

I re-listened to Dilek’s release presentation but did not pick up on a reference to specific frequencies. The battery was moved from the under arm to the control system box. I posted the frequency range/mode question as a new topic under Detector Comparisons. I suspect it will get more push back than answers or just ignored. Hopefully the Legend manual will be posted on Friday. Enjoyed seeing your finds. So far the NM Legend appears to be a solid unit. Looking forward to your field tests. No doubt the weather will be in play. 
HP

On 12/28/2021 at 11:42 AM, GB_Amateur said:

These are virtually identical to what I see in my ground, whether a tot lot or located in the fairly mild top layer soil/dirt.