Testing The XP Deus2 11" - Inland Hunting : Field Tests , Depth Tests Etc

palzynski

3 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Thank you for your extensive and detailed testing. I'm surprised you didn't summarize with Relic as one of your choices at the end, I used it on your recommendation and liked it a lot, buggy as it is.

Actually I could only test the D2 during 10 hours then I had just enough time to quickly test the different factory modes and not enough time to try other settings . I just tried RELIC a few minutes as it was too noisy for me but I will retest it when I have my own D2 as others like you seem to like this mode .

Do you use the IAR disc when you run the RELIC mode btw ?  thx

3 minutes ago, palzynski said:

Actually I could only test the D2 during 10 hours then I had just enough time to quickly test the different factory modes and not enough time to try other settings . I just tried RELIC a few minutes as it was too noisy for me but I will retest it when I have my own D2 as others like you seem to like this mode .

Do you use the IAR disc when you run the RELIC mode btw ?  thx

Funny you should ask me, being a novice detectorist albeit prolific. 😀 Thanks.

I just got told this morning by a "bird" that I should use Disc IAR, and not worry about cranking it up. 😀 It might have pushed some iron targets back down to iron 🤔

The only targets that falsed and caused me to dig them (and quit because of the Xpointer, I look forward to your review of that) showed a strong 81 both ways. That is one useful probe albeit quirky.

I'm not thrilled with the short duration ID, the intense and as yet poorly controlled audio issues (85db +). I had to keep watching the ID - that took away from the fun of discovery. I had to turn audio down to 7 to avoid ear damage or a headache 🤯

What I did do was upon finding a target, I switched back to Deep HC before digging to see if it found it as well, and it didn't in some cases, but those could have been discrimination. In every case the signal was not as good or gone altogether. That could have been audio.

Relic is one of those modes that a noob like me might get caught up in if they fix the other problems. I'll have to spend more time on it. 🙂 

• Like 2

For me, using Disc IAR depends on the amount of shallow iron targets on or near the surface, the amount of iron mineralization and the size and type of targets I am after. In milder ground without tons of iron targets I use as much as I can to really break up the tone on iron targets. If there are multiple iron targets under every swing and/or higher iron mineralization I usually use as little as possible or none to avoid accidental masking. That’s just me. I am no expert. 

Did XP change the threshold for the Deus 2 Relic and Gold Field modes so that using some Disc IAR, the threshold tone will clearly null on iron targets using both PWM and Square audio?  I heard some early reports that it doesn’t null. Maybe I am mistaken.

On Deus 1 and the ORX in their gold modes, the sparky PWM VCO audio almost has a natural background “threshold” even with the actual threshold on zero. Turning up the threshold and using some Disc IAR on an iron target not only breaks up iron target responses, it can also completely silence the audio if set high enough and the iron target isn’t too deep. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jeff,

IAR and threshold on the D2 VCO modes (Gold Field, Relic) is a completely different beast than it is on the D1/ORX.  The threshold, unfortunately, is just a reference tone and does not break or null.  Invoking IAR at any level other than 0 invokes ferrous “disc” such that any TID less than 0 or high on the iron probability level on on horseshoe display invokes an odd sounding iron tone (i.e., iron volume applies), whereas 00 sounds like ground noise, and then you get the standard VCO pitch tone on the “non-ferrous” targets that increases in pitch and intensity proportional to target signal strength.  This was an eye opener to me and just recently discovered.  I was used to IAR breaking up all target signals in hot dirt so I normally kept it at zero.  More assessment and discovery needed by me now that I have determined it works differently.  To me there is no finessing it by bothering with lower IAR settings from what I can tell.  It just does not behave at all like the D1 in that regard.  Now I can use relic mode as a true two tone ferrous/non-ferrous beep dig mode but will have to learn to ignore the 00 ground noise signals that may stick around even after you do a ground grab.  It’s sort of intriguing, weird, and disappointing all at the same time.  Learning how to “walk” all over again when it comes to Relic mode and non-zero IAR.  I have not figured out how to optimally harness it yet…. You might want to hold off throwing your D1/ORX goldfield standard operating procedure and tips out there in response to the D2 Goldfield/Relic threads until you’ve had a chance to try it for yourself, otherwise you might end up confusing D2 owners who are newcomers the XP Deus platform. It’s implemented on D2 in a fashion similar to the D1 in some respects and in other respects (IAR, iron volume, threshold) it’s completely different.  Would really like to see XP consider a mono variant of Gold Field to complement the two FMF variants on D2.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

IAR and threshold on the D2 VCO modes (Gold Field, Relic) is a completely different beast than it is on the D1/ORX.  The threshold, unfortunately, is just a reference tone and does not break or null.

Why do you suppose they might have done this? Do you think this could change with future updates?

8 minutes ago, ☠ Cipher said:

Why do you suppose they might have done this? Do you think this could change with future updates?

Because we're on the third variant of 0.6 beta software.  It's obviously still in beta with a punch list of low priority features that need to be addressed.  I suspect they are working on improving threshold functionality.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lodge Scent said:

Thanks for the explanation Chase. In my limited hunts with the D2, it's been mostly in various pitch configurations. Looks like I'll hold off dabbling in IAR until XP works out the kinks.

No need, necessarily, to hold off.  Experiment with it to see what it brings to the table by putting it near your "go to" search program to see how it makes iffy, "dig me", "move on it's definitely junk" target signals in your "go to" program sound.  You might then discover the circumstances where it might turn an iffy signal in your "go to" into a definitive  "dig me" or "junk" signal.  I'm not exactly sure what to do with Relic mode at the moment other than as a possible "anti falsing" program in thick nails.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2022 at 3:50 PM, palzynski said:

AND THE WINNER IS  ...:

1ST - P9 RELIC :
----------------

( Updated on March 5th - IAR disc  )

The RELIC mode is the most powerful Deus2 mode , it is around 15% deeper than the other modes on the bed tests , either on the big coin at 12" or on the small one at 6".

You called it and seem to be quite right. Relic mode kills it!

• Like 2