I was invited to visit a friend out of town and detect on his permission a couple of days ago. This place was a 100 year old boys school which is now privately owned. Since I recently got the Deus II and have only had it out once, I thought this would be a great place to try to learn the language of this machine. Up until now I have only used American and Australian detectors, so this new French one was Greek to me.

I loaded up the D2 and took the Equinox as a backup if things went south. The plan was to see how deep the D2 could get in the heavily iron mineralized soil of the sports field that we have pounded for two years. I figured we had cleaned out enough of the shallow coins and trash to possibly hit the silver layer if there is one. I started out in the P1-General program, but quickly swithed over to a modified Park program with 5 Tones and that's when the coins started popping out. I also used the XY screen which I really like as it helped to identify many of the trash targets. Where has this thing been all my detecting life?

After a few hours, I was starting to recognize the sounds of quarters, dimes, copper pennies and zinc pennies, most of which were coming from 4-6 inches down and sounding really clear. A few that were in the 7-8 inch range still sounded good, but had more of and iron tone mixed in. I did hear some faint tones deeper down that had 00 TID, but none had any silver tone to them and I passed on those for the time being. The one banging silver tone I did get came from about 7 inches down and turned out to be a belt buckle. Another one I thought was a silver dime for sure at about 4 inches was a 1980 British New Penny.

By the end of the day, I was also able to recognize many square tabs, most bottle caps, and many nails with some level of confidence. This is a very trashy field but I was able to skip much of it this time and felt like I wasn't missing something good. So I ended up with a bunch of clad coins (and a 1965 dime... so close!), 19 copper pennies, only one wheatie (1944-S), 17 zincolns, a couple of small buttons of some kind, and a Disney Frozen pendant. And while I didn't reach silver this time out, I feel much more comfortable with the Deus II and I'm starting to learn more of what it is telling me.  Here is what I pulled, minus the surface trash.

D2-2a.JPEG

Nice, Cap'n! I see you got a 6 year pin too. Sorry it's all clad, no nickels? You dug pull tabs...

My wife's daughter owns one of those old schools, it's now her house. Hopefully I'll get to detect it.

48 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Nice, Cap'n! I see you got a 6 year pin too. Sorry it's all clad, no nickels? You dug pull tabs...

My wife's daughter owns one of those old schools, it's now her house. Hopefully I'll get to detect it.

I'll take clad... it's spendible! 😉 Neither of us found any nickels. We have pulled a lot of nickels out of there over the last two years, maybe we got them all. 🤣

I dug the pull tabs to verify what I suspected they were. The ring pull fooled me though. 

Good hunting, and I know that the digging was fun also.

Good luck on your next hunt.

Nice hunting ... Eventually French is easy to learn as you can see .. 🙂   

I would just suggest to try the SENSITIVE mode , it is better ( faster and more reactive ) than GENERAL or PARK in the irons ..