Brass Tag Id's?

Last weekend I was finally able to get out and detect something other than park turf.  Detected several sites from the 1870's and up.  Got snowed on quite a bit, rained on quite a bit, the wind howled most of the time, but it was a blast!

Some of my finds:

IMG_3699W.jpg

Lower right, are a couple of brass or copper tags.  My Google Fu is weak, as I can't find what they might have come on.  One says "Mon Choix", the other "Unique".

IMG_3702W.jpg

I had to clean the "Mon Choix" a bit with a wire brush to read it.  Anyone have any idea what these came from?  "Mon Choix" sounds like some sort of ladies item?  "Unique" could be darn near anything.  Although, the one possible thing I found is a sewing machine from the early 1870s, which is the right time period for where I found it.

One of the more interesting items to me, I think I know what it is.  I think this is part of a shotgun that died in a fire.  There was a lot more of it in the hole but it was all crumbling to the touch.  Only this chunk of what I believe to have been part of the forearm/magazine held together.

IMG_3707W.jpg

The site where the Unique tag and the shotgun part were found.

20220428_Cornucopia-211W.jpg

20220428_Cornucopia-212W.jpg

The Mon Choix tag was found here.

20220428_Cornucopia-243W.jpg

Also found at the site above was a little piece of silver decorative trim.  Thinking it might have been horse tack decoration, but not at all sure.

20220428_Cornucopia-233W.jpg

Wasn't totally sure it was really silver, but acid says it is.

thumbnail_IMG_0790W.jpg

And straightened out a bit.  Anyone know what this might have come from too?  A bit heavier than it looks, at 6 grams.

IMG_3703W.jpg

Totally wild guesses as welcome as well informed opinions!

- Dave

All very nice finds & a beautiful area to enjoy. It does look like good coyote country.

Nice bunch of relics. Place looks familiar! Congratulations on the Barber.

36 minutes ago, abenson said:

Nice bunch of relics. Place looks familiar! Congratulations on the Barber.

I bet it does look familiar 😁.  Although, not to very many.

41 minutes ago, JCR said:

All very nice finds & a beautiful area to enjoy. It does look like good coyote country.

Thanks!  Used to be world class coyote country.  Prolonged drought and giant wildfires have decimated the habitat though.  It's a far, far cry from what it used to be.  I've called as many as 25+ in a day out there in the good old days.  Now, 5 in a day is doing real good.  Still, I got a few coyotes to talk to me from camp each evening.

- Dave

Excellent finds and photos! I really like seeing the places y'all go. 👍 I've dug silver ribbon like that but much smaller pieces. Not sure what it was used for 🤔

Nice Barber too.

4 hours ago, UT Dave said:

I had to clean the "Mon Choix" a bit with a wire brush to read it.  Anyone have any idea what these came from?

I used Google to translate (from French) -- it mean's "my choice".  That should help some in identifying this decorative plate, but I'm drawing a blank so far.  Great bunch of finds!

Are they the right size to be saloon bottle labels? "Mon Choix" sounds more appealing than "Watered Down".

Nice finds, good luck on your next hunt.

Nice barber...the silver piece possibly from decorative trim off a mirror frame etc? Did you dig the Mon Coix tag with the Xp Deus 2 🙂 nice assortment you got there. 

Strick 

9 hours ago, JCR said:

Are they the right size to be saloon bottle labels? "Mon Choix" sounds more appealing than "Watered Down".

A little on the small side for that, maybe?  But yeah, "Mon Choix" does sound better than "soap added for foam".  Thinking along those lines, cigar box label?

1 hour ago, strick said:

Nice barber...the silver piece possibly from decorative trim off a mirror frame etc? Did you dig the Mon Coix tag with the Xp Deus 2 🙂 nice assortment you got there. 

Strick 

Definitely could be something like a mirror frame.  My buddy thinks it came off a piece of horse tack.  Buckaroos were known to get fancy with their horses sometimes.  Me, I just don't know? 

I see what you did there with Mon Choix 😆.  

- Dave