Reports On MX Sport Firmware Update - Post Here

Guest Paul (Ca)

In the case of the Gold Bug Pro (which started as the Gold Bug SE) we had versions 1.9, 2.9, 3.0, and 4.0 that I am aware of on actual production units. Stuff like this can be a moving target for quite some time. In case of Gold Bug Pro it was like a couple years before final version 4.0 became the long running standard.

In that case I only recall one that was a pure performance update (weak on silver) the rest made changes in features, like adding VCO audio.

I have this bag of heavy black sand and the weight is 8 1/2 lbs I took it outside but first tested the spot I was putting down on to make sure it was nothing else there. Okay with that I ground balance my detector on the bag of black sand. After I had it ground balance the number was 73  I would think the black sand would run high like the number did..

This came from cons I had and if it had any gold in it still it's very small.

Chuck

This is getting very confusing, Tom said 90-70 is the bottom end of ferrite and Chucks ground is 51 and his bag of Black sand reads 73 and I still don't know which way round these numbers go is 90 high mineral or low mineral

Because on all other Whites Machines a reading lower than 50 is more salt based and above 50 is heading towards Iron,

John, I'm trying as hard as I can to catch up on stuff after I got back from PA. I do different things here and spending time on the forums is an extra "job" I came up with (which may have been a mistake). Nobody asked me to but I feel like it's a smart thing to do.

VDI readings are interesting. Basically the scale goes from -95 to +95. Normal ground is low on the scale, usually below -80. Iron reads above that with salt coming in at ZERO. So "highly mineralized" can mean different numbers depending on if you're talking salt or iron. To me -40 would be "hot ground" since that's getting pretty well into the iron range. On the MX Sport the GRND number is the VDI, it's just missing the minus sign. 

Please remember that I'm doing this at will, not because someone told me to. I want to help as much as possible, but it's an extra thing that I do. The phone is the easiest way to get a hold of the company, or Facebook message (which I manage) if you'd like to use a computer.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bowwinkles said:

Tom,

you said " We tested the new firmware and have heard from users that confirms the update has no ill effect on depth." 

Please tell us which version of the "New firmware" did they test? Seems from the reports there are more than one version. That is the type of data the users/owners need to know in order to to get real support for their issues.  

The only performance change on the firmware was the tone-smearing. Everything else hasn't been performance-related - VCO pinpoint, more levels of SAT in Relic, etc. So any version of the new firmware will be the same on depth/target separation.

55 minutes ago, tboykin said:

The only performance change on the firmware was the tone-smearing. Everything else hasn't been performance-related - VCO pinpoint, more levels of SAT in Relic, etc. So any version of the new firmware will be the same on depth/target separation.

Do these changes (no matter what they effect) come with a version number? If so where are they posted and how do owners  know if their particular unit is effected?

Link deleted since Findmall Forum update broke all old links

According to a poster (Old California) on the above link, the MXS was accidentally given the wrong firmware update and a few were sent back to the owners. So apparently there might be a version 3.0? The poster explains in the thread what to look for if you've gotten your machine back with in the last week or so. My MXS is on it's way  to me this week from having it updated, and now I'm concerned that it may also have the wrong firmware update as it was shipped on the 14th. I'll know better on the 21st when it's in my hands for testing. I know tboykin has been inundated lately, but if he or some one can shed a little more light on this matter it would be appreciated. I think I'll just try and enjoy the spring/summer/fall and send it back next winter. Good target seperartion will be a huge advancement from my prior firmware version.

Thanks Tom and everyone that contributes to these threads, it's helped immensely.

6 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Hardly any MX Sport owners left here so you might want to post on the White's MX Sport forum. They claim they have let up on the censorship there, and you would reach more MX Sport owners there than here.

Paul self banned here and on Toms forum but is still posting on Findmall.

I'm still here. But I have nothing constructive to add, except I found a dime at 6 inches. I don't know how to evaluate recovery speed, and I still don't understand the term "tone smearing". (does that make me the perfect mxs user?:))

Thanks tom for participating in the forum. I'm sure everyone appreciates it.

On 4/19/2016 at 3:30 PM, Hexx said:

Link deleted since Findmall Forum update broke all old links

According to a poster (Old California) on the above link, the MXS was accidentally given the wrong firmware update and a few were sent back to the owners. So apparently there might be a version 3.0? The poster explains in the thread what to look for if you've gotten your machine back with in the last week or so. My MXS is on it's way  to me this week from having it updated, and now I'm concerned that it may also have the wrong firmware update as it was shipped on the 14th. I'll know better on the 21st when it's in my hands for testing. I know tboykin has been inundated lately, but if he or some one can shed a little more light on this matter it would be appreciated. I think I'll just try and enjoy the spring/summer/fall and send it back next winter. Good target seperartion will be a huge advancement from my prior firmware version.

Thanks Tom and everyone that contributes to these threads, it's helped immensely.

If your detector is working fine the best thing to do is enjoy it. We've been on the same firmware version for a while now, and it's not going to change again since it's in good shape. I don't know about you guys but I'm gonna try and enjoy the sun as much as possible this spring.

• Like 1