Dumping Minelab GPX 6000 For Garrett Axiom?

Update 9/30/22

I wrote the post that started this thread over a month ago. I questioned why anyone would be selling GPX 6000 metal detectors they owned, to place an order for an Axiom, when the product was still under development. Nobody has any independent evidence in hand about how the final shipping version of the Axiom will compare to the GPX 6000, and I have been frank in saying that I should be considered a biased source. My main concern, however, were that people were taking my selling my own GPX 6000 as meaning perhaps more than it does. So in the post I stated straight up I thought it was premature for anyone to be selling a GPX 6000 to order an Axiom.

Since then, nothing has changed per se as regards that recommendation. I do know, however, that feedback from myself and others means the Axiom is undergoing significant upgrades in capability still, and that this process will continue until Garrett feels they have a product they are satisfied with. That means it is simply too early to decide exactly how these detectors compare. I know I really like what this detector has to offer, and I am certainly finding gold with it. There are, however, things I felt could be improved.

The latest developments as of today have left me feeling more optimistic than ever that the Axiom will be a worthy competitor when it finally reaches the market. That being the case, I decided to update my previous post with this simple statement. And that is to note that it is not over until it is over, and people should withhold judgment until the final Axiom is out, and various independent people have a chance to compare it to existing detectors. I'll recuse myself from that process, as I have been to involved with the prototype testing, and do not want anyone looking to me as being anything but biased on the subject. Frankly, that just gets me off the hot plate, an easy out. :smile:

I'll end with my stock recommendation. The wisest course of action with any new metal detector models is always to wait. Wait until it is out, and if you can, wait until others you know and trust have had to to evaluate the detector, and report on it. Let them be the guinea pigs. There is almost never any reason to be giving money to dealers based on pre-release information, unless you are just dying to be the first kid on the block with a new toy.

With that said, let the wait continue. Trying to rush Garrett at this juncture helps nobody. What is needed is patience with a capital P, so that all the time possible is given the engineers to tweak and tune, and deliver the absolute best product possible.

10/13/22 - Latest Commentary Here

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for your integrity, Steve. While I'm not a gold prospecting detectorist (at least not yet), I do look forward to your experiences and tutorials with the Axiom. I have not yet moved into the PI lane, but I see that as a possibility down the line.

All the best on your adventures!

I think the best approach is always to let the product speak for itself, you tend to always do that Steve, point out the facts and let people make their own decisions over time as it gets in more users hands.  I'm glad we are even having this discussion, a new gold PI on the market and Garrett joining the high end PI arena with a competitive detector.   Once it gets in the hands of many in all different locations it's strong points will quickly be established.

I have noticed when a new machine comes out people panic thinking it will make them find more targets... I believe that with the existing technology the performance of a new detector cannot take off and make much of a difference... I firmly believe that the difference in finding desirable goals is passion, love and experience… Changing detectors every year does not make them more effective, success comes when you spend a lot of time with a reliable detector and become one with it. sorry for my english which is limited and unfortunately i am using translation.

1 hour ago, Kostas 13 said:

I have noticed when a new machine comes out people panic thinking it will make them find more targets... I believe that with the existing technology the performance of a new detector cannot take off and make much of a difference... I firmly believe that the difference in finding desirable goals is passion, love and experience… Changing detectors every year does not make them more effective, success comes when you spend a lot of time with a reliable detector and become one with it. sorry for my english which is limited and unfortunately i am using translation.

I totally agree - well said! :smile:

50 minutes ago, Kostas 13 said:

Your translator worked good.  Agree 99%...BUT, I have to give new tech some credit here.  Even though I parted ways with my 6000 I have to give it credit as it was FOR ME a game changer that I noticed on day one.  Hit a pounded area and immediately popped 6-7 tinys probably around 2" deeper than any of my other machines are capable of. IMO that 6000 actually was a "game changer".  I had a couple other "eureka" moments with that 6 that solidified the "game changer" opinions.  I certainly wouldn't discount new tech....jmo's