A Fortunate Find After An Unfortunate Start

Permissions well used and shared.  Thanks for showing us the recoveries and having a good banter and friendship after stepping on each other's ground.

20 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Thanks Cap'n, I specifically mentioned the SS program because of you. I'm also thinking of naming the spiral search that found me the second spoon and buckle fragment the "CPT_GhostLight Maneuver™ " remembering a few of your older posts. 😀

I see you second guessed the upper notch as well, I wondered. 🤔 And less conservatively than me! You devil. 👍

I am sad that I didn't find the Trime with the Deus, but I have plans to use it in the trashier areas of my permissions. I wonder if it "sees past" the iron or just supresses it, an interesting challenge. Honestly that's what I set out to do initially. However, this is yet another example of why I am never going to be without my trusty Equinox 600 and 10x5.

I am intrigued by your mention of a "Gold Grabber" program, I'll even let you have the trademark. 🤣 If you get a chance I hope you post it.

Actually the "Gold Grabber" is just an idea based on Rattlehead's Silver Slayer with different notching. I set Discrim at 9 to deal with rusty round head nails that always seem to be around trees in my parks. So the first notch is 9-24 to allow small gold jewelry and chains to ring through, second notch is 65-66 just to break up pull tabs (of course with your Trimes around you might want to skip that one), and a third notch at 74-76 to break up ring pulls. That's really all there is to that. Of course it doesn't knock out foiI and small aluminum like the Silver Slayer does. I tried it out today but I was in a real trashy area that doesn't usually have gold, so I ended up switching back to the SS program. 😉

8 hours ago, Joe D. said:

Bet i have a better chance of finding a 1715 Fleet coin, than a "Trime?" here!!!

Thanks Joe D!

Trimes should be everywhere! The 1851 saw 5 million alone. Imagine all the pocket holes back then! I never kept stuff in my pockets as a kid because of the secondhand clothes. 😀

Screenshot_20221021-071352_Brave.thumb.jpg.2740dfb16bb9ecfd531f125e406639ad.jpg

I couldn't screenshot the whole table, but this should give y'all an idea of how many there were, they stopped in 1873 with only 600 proofs.

They probably wouldn't sink fast either. 😀

8 hours ago, Joe D. said:

don't let Chase get all the goodies!

That kinda goes back and forth, when he first came here he managed to get a silver almost every time. He does manage to beat me often, I got a 1690 cob, and he got one from the 1650s. For the distance he has to travel and the company I don't begrudge him anything. 🙂 Same would apply to any invited visitor. 👍

We've considered coming to your neck of the sand, might someday but y'all have to clean up the mess Ian made. I have a friend on Pine Island who has always wanted me to visit, it's gonna be a few years before he is back 😵 that's a longer drive. Honestly if I could afford it I'd lend him my RV for a while.

Meantime for beaches I'll be giving the more Northern beach YouTubers a headache for a while, got my eye on a closer premium place next spring. 🤣 I hope Doggo comes to VA Beach again, if Chase can get here early enough we could make it a day trip, I'll drive the rest of the way. 👍 You're welcome anytime, but remember the best hunting here is during cold hunting season. 🥶

5 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Permissions well used and shared.  Thanks for showing us the recoveries and having a good banter and friendship after stepping on each other's ground.

Thanks for the thumbs up MN! My main focus isn't so much bragging rights, (😀) but to show folks that if you're lucky enough to get good real estate, a little good will goes a long way. I never imagined my retirement would be this much fun and rewarding with camaraderie, history, and treasure.

After all the crazy stuff I did in my younger years, looking back isn't as important or exciting as looking forward. I almost wish I took this up a long time ago.

5 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Actually the "Gold Grabber" is just an idea based on Rattlehead's Silver Slayer with different notching. I set Discrim at 9 to deal with rusty round head nails that always seem to be around trees in my parks. So the first notch is 9-24 to allow small gold jewelry and chains to ring through, second notch is 65-66 just to break up pull tabs (of course with your Trimes around you might want to skip that one), and a third notch at 74-76 to break up ring pulls. That's really all there is to that. Of course it doesn't knock out foiI and small aluminum like the Silver Slayer does. I tried it out today but I was in a real trashy area that doesn't usually have gold, so I ended up switching back to the SS program. 😉

Hmmm... Thanks! For that I might want to build upon a program that looks a little deeper, like Relic, or sensitive something. I imagine gold has a deeper sink rate in my relic areas 🤔 

Honestly I've never found gold with the Deus 2, it's probably just circumstance that it's always the Equinox that hits it. The gold chain story from VA Beach was an eye opener, so I created a program based on General that hits everything, including tiny chains. Far too wacko to post, it hasn't proved itself as I set it up too late for the beach.

54 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Trimes should be everywhere! The 1851 saw 5 million alone.

Sad part of that here, is there wasn't alot going on in most of Florida, in general then!  And most everything that was happening, was either on the coast, or next to a railroad or river! And has been bulldozed, developed, and/or covered in concrete and asphalt multiple times!!😵

Progress, my foot!!🦶👍👍

14 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

To make it more fun, the 1852 piece in the center was a 20/22.

14 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

I do not know why they don't sound off around 30,

I assume the 1847 coin is a half dime.  I don't understand why the 'half-trime' would read higher than an entire one.  I think half dimes are more in that low 20's range though.

Size matters on the dTID scale which is why trimes are so low relative to say dimes.  Silver 5 center is in between in size and in between in dTID.  Quarter is higher (~31 for a silver one) than dimes (~27 for a silver one).  (Those are ML Equinox readings in air.)  The surprise is the Merc that only showed up in the high teens.  Did you check that after you dug it?  I suspect something nearby was dragging it down when in the ground.

Regarding the %-age of silver in the trimes, good point although the mating alloy in both cases is another high conductor -- copper.  Delving a little deeper, we've shown here before that you can't just take a weighted average of 100% copper conductivity and 100% silver conductivity to get the alloy's conductivity, though.  It's way more compliated than that.  You also can't do that kind of weighting to get density, either, although the latter does sometimes work out.  It's all about electrons which not only determine the conductivity but also the separation between nuclei.  You'll have to go to the quantum mechanics website (quantumprospector.com 😄) to be able to predict alloy conductivity (and density).

Nice to see your 2 1/2 trimes all together.  I have one (not found detecting) and it's amazing how tiny that thing is.

I have not found a Trime yet but sure would like to, mainly because of the age.   I have found 2 very small Silver Mexican coins; a 5 Centavos & a 10 Centavos. Both early 1900s. They are not common to find but do show up here in Texas.

3 hours ago, JCR said:

I have not found a Trime yet but sure would like to, mainly because of the age.   I have found 2 very small Silver Mexican coins; a 5 Centavos & a 10 Centavos. Both early 1900s. They are not common to find but do show up here in Texas.

If they're smaller than a dime, congrats. 🏆 I'll Google the suckers so you don't have to find pics 😀 it's not a stretch to imagine Trimes in Texas, but it sure is in Florida, unless you can get permission to hunt some very old property, which as Joe D wrote, is difficult to find.

I'm out in the fields right now. 😀 Not a great day.

On 10/20/2022 at 2:39 AM, Cal_Cobra said:

That's a great hunt, congrats on the trime!  

Your gilt button would probably clean up beautifully if you took a Qtip dipped in lemon juice and gently cleaned the front.  I've been amazed how well it's restored 1800's gilt buttons

I didn't go too heavy on it, but I did what you suggested and the results are impressive. Thank you!20221022_175133.thumb.jpg.d373407493ad0e2a122f17f6d5020f94.jpg