My Magic Headphones..

During early mornings hunts I usually have the beach to myself, but during the school holidays people turn up well before sunrise.. I hate being a performing monkey and only a few people watching is enough for me to call it a day or find a more isolated beach.. The main thing I dread about being observed is people's curiosity, as inevitably someone will come over to ask if I've found any treasure.. It's not that I don't like people.. In fact I love them, their dropped coins are my bread and butter.. It's just that I can't stand people hovering over me expecting a treasure chest to be hauled out of the sand at any moment.. And what if I did? In these days of instant video my find would be all over the internet in seconds.. 

Yesterday morning I was wearing my headphones as the sea was up at the island's most popular bays.. It was then I discovered my headphones have magic powers.. Even though there were quite a few people on the beach already, they all gave me a very wide berth.. There was something about my headphones that prevented them from coming close.. The headphones were somehow activating the politeness part of people's brains causing them to respectfully stay out of my way, even when I found something.. It was only when I took them off at the end of the hunt that a lady came over to ask if I found any treasure.. 

Windy or not, for the rest of the school holidays I'll be wearing my magic headphones.. It's actually quite enjoyable to have people wait patiently until I'm done, especially to watch their faces drop when I show them a handful of rusty bottle tops.. 'Nah, no treasure today'.. 😮 

Ha! I had the same experience today. Even had one guy start showing me videos of him paragliding. Half an hour later I was finally back to detecting. By the time I got into the groove, there were so many people and kids screaming and surf waves crashing I gave up. Found a couple keepers I'll post later. Ugh, I think I'll wear headphones tomorrow! Glad to read your post!

3 hours ago, matt said:

Ugh, I think I'll wear headphones tomorrow!

Please let us know how you got on.. It'll be good if your headphones also have the voodoo.. 

11 hours ago, Erik Oostra said:

I can't stand people hovering over me expecting a treasure chest to be hauled out of the sand

Just point to another area and say that you have to come back with a bigger shovel to uncover a chest over there. Just don't point in the same direction twice so you have a chance to go over that area later.

Good luck on your next hunt and stay safe out there.

Eric it was  like that on the gold fields when most prospector started to using the brand-new Whites and Garrett VLF (late 1970s early 80) and the holes took 10 minutes or more to dig, with a crowd of newbies watch you dig up a ground noise. ☺️ The earphones were a must in the early days even on the beach with kids wanting to dig up your treasure, A hundred of them fighting to get it first. I must admit I had one kid at a certain beach do the work and keep the non $ coins. As a matter of fact I could not get on the sand for more than 5 minutes and he would appear from nowhere. I found out a lot later that he was the only child of a single Mother so those coins were appreciated I'm sure.

True story.....a guy I used to know in the detector club I was in back in the 80's, was also a keen beach detectorist and got sick of people wasting his time also......so he painted with white-out the words "F%#K OFF!" on his huge headphones! Worked equally as well as having a pet monkey throwing sh*t at them..... 

Here are a couple more:1873290618_A13usaonutL._AC_CLa_21402000_81uNWHibbeL.png_00214020000_00.02140.02000.0_UL1500_.thumb.jpeg.5e202459b78591fa97e7fa8c1cdf0c4f.jpeg51ik1PZkRzL._AC_.thumb.jpg.28f077c16436d64d69562611daddca89.jpg

17 hours ago, Erik Oostra said:

It was then I discovered my headphones have magic powers.. Even though there were quite a few people on the beach already, they all gave me a very wide berth.. There was something about my headphones that prevented them from coming close..

I never detect without headphones. Yes, it does help keep people away. So does not making eye contact. If someone persists at calling out, I will at some point look up and very loudly say "I can't hear you well" [pointing to my headphones]

I hunt in Mexico. so, another trick I use is when someone English speaking asks a question, I respond in Spanish No habla English>>>>I do the reverse for Spanish speaking people. 

Also thinking of getting a shirt printed up that says> I have COVID. 

some great ideas here ^^^

Headphones seem to have much less effect for me ?😢

"Did I find anything good ??"   I make them repeat it after I take off the HPs ......

"I sure did , today I got 17 gold rings and 9 of them have diamonds ! Wanna see ?" 😲

Then I pull some crusty zincolns or some other junk out of my pocket and say "Here ya go ! " And drop them in their hand . Then walk away putting the cans back on.

It took me a while to get all the details worked out but now it's 90% effective.

A little one I met and reported about on here a while back changed my mind about one thing.   I don't do it for the kids  anymore . Instead..

"I sure did !" and re-distribute the pull tabs and zincs . , sometimes a clad quarter if it's all I have....  and sorry mommy , don't try to make them throw it away. It won't go well for you .  I usually make them honorary pirates before I hand out the booty.......Arrrrrrr. 

Once in a while one of them won't go back to mom after that , but they all get recalled as I get further away...

Would ya expect any less from me ?😜