The Fun Before The Storms

F350Platinum

It's been raining a lot here, yesterday I had to cut the grass to get it done before the severe weather we're supposed to get this evening.

I am posting this in the Deus 2 forum because I have some observations from today, I was using the D2 and the 13" coil with a customized Beach Sensitive program.

I told Chase I was headed up to my local beach, and he got there early with me. It was hot and muggy but now and again it got cloudy and we got enough wind off the river to keep cool. Went through a lot of water today!20230626_101937.thumb.jpg.09ae4dd79c02d2445f6e416cd23415b9.jpg

Last weekend the beach was packed, and this weekend was too apparently. I like to go there early on Monday regardless of tide if it was sunny at all.

There were not many people there as expected, I didn't see Chase but he was there before me. Went out to the motel beach, and my first find was a dime, and then I spotted a dollar in the sand. πŸ˜€ I knew it would be a much better day than I had last weekend. He finally appeared and we went down the beach searching different parts of it.

Here's my observation; I found that audio response causes the detector to make a lot of extraneous noise if auto tracking is turned off. Turned it down from 5 to 3 and it got a lot better! It ran really quiet most of the time until I got over some black sand or a cellphone was nearby.

Now the proof:20230626_164343.thumb.jpg.d89d607b084d208bf14cbc7a0b5f0d80.jpg

Here's all the trash I got. The bottle caps were all sight picked, love the old round pull tabs that give off a beautiful tone without the brassy sound, some of the others did too, but I was after nickels and ended up getting some. The iron was so close to the surface I dug it. The rubber bat was just funny. πŸ˜€

Now the good stuff:20230626_170408.thumb.jpg.2c2574ab9bc29371105692eaa32d0414.jpg

33 coins and a dollar bill, almost $6 in change and paper money. Best was the 1945 wheat. Old coins turn up here all the time.

An earring that sounds good when dropped so I included it, a sight picked bracelet with beads and brass. 3 toy cars, the big pickup truck is a Hallmark Christmas ornament without the Christmas tree in the bed.

It was a fun day, I hope the storms go by without incident.Β 

Β  Was out today too, for nearly the same scenario as you described!πŸ‘ But it was a snap decision, and didn't get on the beach till 7:00! And was getting roasted by 9:00!Β πŸ₯΅Β You know the rest!😏

Β  Β Β As the junk finds pile up, there's bound to be a few good "morsels" in the mix at some point; hopefully! (Clover power) Keep at it, as will I! Gonna bring the turkey basterπŸ¦ƒ with me now, for the rest of the summer! And way more water!!πŸ€πŸ‘πŸ‘

Thanks Joe, Chase often has to swim against the tide getting here, nothing more frustrating on a hunt than being held up by a traffic jam. From experience the traffic up his way jams up on both sides with an accident on just one. Odd "Looky Lou" phenomena. πŸ˜€ My traffic is usually just the odd farm machine on the road.

I also hunted the water for a bit because the jellyfish are scarce right now, but didn't find much there. As usual it was tiring.

Not a spectacular hunt, but as Chase said we need to lower our expectations at this beach. He did rather well. I knew the parking would be more costly than what I would find.

14 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Here's my observation; I found that audio response causes the detector to make a lot of extraneous noise if auto tracking is turned off. Turned it down from 5 to 3 and it got a lot better! It ran really quiet most of the time until I got over some black sand

I am not sure why that would be. As a dedicated beach hunter, I run tracking GB with EVERY detector I use.Β 

The key to beach success is doing depth testing on your location with gold. I fear turning audio response down has a severe negative effect.
Also, if you have pockets of black sand [like I do] without question you are losing performance if not using tracking GB.Β  Β 

Great looking beach and a great haul as well, well done!

That's interesting about the Audio Response settings. I'm also finding that running AR higher on my hot dirt is chatty as well. I usually run it at 4 since the last update and it's much quieter and still a little hot on shallow targets so I may experiment with AR at 3 this week.

3 hours ago, midalake said:

The key to beach success is doing depth testing on your location with gold. I fear turning audio response down has a severe negative effect.
Also, if you have pockets of black sand [like I do] without question you are losing performance if not using tracking GB.Β  Β 

I took your suggestion and turned it on, saved it to that program and for half the hunt I used it. Noticed Chase was finding a lot more stuff than me, so I turned it off and I started finding stuff everywhere in the dry. πŸ€”Β 

Maybe in the water, since I take my gold ring off before going detecting, I'll have to keep it with me to try it. πŸ™‚

7 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Great looking beach and a great haul as well, well done!

That's interesting about the Audio Response settings. I'm also finding that running AR higher on my hot dirt is chatty as well. I usually run it at 4 since the last update and it's much quieter and still a little hot on shallow targets so I may experiment with AR at 3 this week.

Thanks Cap'n, the biggest problem with AR was that at 5 aluminum was too "clean" in High Square full tones. When I backed off to 3, the brassy sound was more noticeable. πŸ™‚

3 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

saved it to that program and for half the hunt I used it. Noticed Chase was finding a lot more stuff than me, so I turned it off and I started finding stuff everywhere in the dry. πŸ€”Β 

Full disclosure, I never hunt the dry sand unless asked to find something. 100% wet sand/water contact.Β 

What program/settings were you using on the D2 for that folding item you got? Β πŸ˜‚Β 

if you are going to bring your gold ring. Β Can you do your testing down here. Β Joe D and myself love finding gold rings. Β πŸ˜†Β 

Congrats on all the finds β€” it’s better than doing the 9 to 5.

I noticed that running audio response lower: Β 2, 1, 0, will really quiet the detector down if you have emi and a noise cancel isn’t doing much. Β The down side? Β  You really have to listen for those whisper quiet deep signals. Β