Nokta Legend And Equinox 600/800 After Tons Of Hours Used

2 hours ago, midalake said:

What is your black sand content there????   Where I hunt, we are really going to test the Legends ability in black sand. 

It varies but I've really never had a problem with any of my multi's when I encounter it.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, midalake said:

What is your black sand content there????   Where I hunt, we are really going to test the Legends ability in black sand. 

When are you going to do your testing?  You have excellent knowledge of the Equinox at the beach so I'm very curious as to how in your view The Legend will stack up.

15 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Your saga sounds a lot like mine except that most of my hunting is done on dry land where the Legend mostly functioned well. I got mine on March 20, 2022. It had mammoth update issues and it had a faulty system control unit which made updating it even harder. I also waited patiently for version 1.09 and the adjustable iron bias feature so that I could use my Legend for gold prospecting. About the time that version 1.09 was released in July of 2022 I had a serious ankle injury that required surgery and several months of recovery so I didn't get to properly test it until the spring of 2023 and then version 1.11 was released.

I have stuck with the Legend because it had proven to be an excellent land unit for coin, jewelry and relic hunting. It obviously had issues at some saltwater beaches and until version 1.09, it was pretty useless for gold prospecting unless I just used 40 kHz single frequency and avoided using the Multi setting in prospecting mode due to the iron bias being stuck on setting 8.

So, I totally get your perspective and your decision to move on from the Legend since in my opinion the weakest part of the Legend's detecting abilities out of the box and up until version 1.09 was saltwater detecting.

This is also why I have waited to write a reasonable review of the Legend until now since Nokta have corrected some deficiencies and added some features that make it a much more well rounded and versatile detector than it was at its release.

I am still waiting for XP to do the same for Deus 2 (been waiting for 19 months) and then there is the Equinox 700/900 about which my lips are sealed.

I am glad the X-Terra Pro is working well for you and your hunting/diving conditions in saltwater...

Exact. I think the launch on Christmas 21 was premature (I suppose to stop the bleeding of Nox sales). And the first units arrived with a very green software still...

At no time have I said that it is a bad detector, I simply lost confidence in it.

And for diving that is vital. Keep in mind that I have to take a breath, lower, locate and extract in 2-minute intervals. I snorkel, and without an exact and quick location I can't do anything. 

That photo is 4 hours of water hunt. Under a platform with slides for children. They are paid (some coins fall out) and the mothers go for the children at 1 hour intervals. That if they are between 3-5 meters deep.

Location, I won't tire of saying it.

And trust...

IMG_20230718_073444.jpg

8 hours ago, StarVatrex said:

Exact. I think the launch on Christmas 21 was premature (I suppose to stop the bleeding of Nox sales). And the first units arrived with a very green software still...

It was a very premature launch, the software and hardware both deficient, as proven by upgrades to both. The machine is only really now what it should have been almost two years ago. A lot of people paid money to be beta testers, but oh well, that seems to be the way things go these days. All the manufacturers are guilty, it’s just a matter of degree. This puts even more emphasis on why those being first in line to buy a new metal detector had better just count on being guinea pigs for at least the first year, or in the case of Legend, even longer.

I think however that the Legend launch was not anything to do with the Equinox, which had been out for years. It came immediately after XP announced the Deus 2, which caught almost everyone, and I’m thinking this includes Nokta, completely flat footed and by surprise. So they pulled the trigger and launched, hoping to grab some of the sales that were sure to flow to XP instead.

• 1 month later...

Jeff, with your prior experience with Equinoxes, how do you find the Legend versus the Nox 800 for gold prospecting using the 6" coil on either unit? I'm about to 'dive in' and buy either a used Nox800 OR a new Legend. Or anyone else's experience using both... or the Legend alone for this purpose.

1 hour ago, Aureous said:

Jeff, with your prior experience with Equinoxes, how do you find the Legend versus the Nox 800 for gold prospecting using the 6" coil on either unit? I'm about to 'dive in' and buy either a used Nox800 OR a new Legend. Or anyone else's experience using both... or the Legend alone for this purpose.

I have both. Performance wise where I gold prospect they are basically equal. The Legend actually has more features available for gold prospecting than the Nox 800 since it has VCO Pitch audio available in its other search modes along with more custom program slots and more iron bias adjustments. I wouldn’t hesitate to use either one.

17 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I have both. Performance wise where I gold prospect they are basically equal. The Legend actually has more features available for gold prospecting than the Nox 800 since it has VCO Pitch audio available in its other search modes along with more custom program slots and more iron bias adjustments. I wouldn’t hesitate to use either one.

Awesome, thanks Jeff. Think I will go for the Legend then...👍

21 minutes ago, Aureous said:

Awesome, thanks Jeff. Think I will go for the Legend then...👍

I would get the newer version with the full carbon fiber shaft, lighter weight stock coil and the 6” coil. Detect-Ed or Nenad/Phase Technical should have them.

45 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I would get the newer version with the full carbon fiber shaft, lighter weight stock coil and the 6” coil. Detect-Ed or Nenad/Phase Technical should have them.

Exactly what I'll be doing 😁

On 7/17/2023 at 1:27 PM, Bill (S. CA) said:

When are you going to do your testing?  You have excellent knowledge of the Equinox at the beach so I'm very curious as to how in your view The Legend will stack up.

Saw this older post. Unfortunately, Hurricane Hillary put a stop to our testing.  It will be a while before this testing might happen.