Beach Hunt 2023 Has Started

6 minutes ago, UT Dave said:

Wives that enable our fun are priceless.Β  My Wife just giggles at my excitement over what I think are killer finds.Β  She always asks if I found anything good, and when I say yes and show her an old silver dime and a junky piece of .925 jewelry she really does just giggle.Β  She thinks it's just dumb, but cuteΒ πŸ˜†.Β  I think some of the silly stuff she likes to do is just dumb, but cute too 😁.Β  It works for us!

- Dave

Dave, couldn't laugh,Β and give you a thumbs up to boot, so here you go!! Steve doesn't limit these!!πŸ€πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Held hostage by Ophelia??? Young man ....swim out there with your detector and get some flood coins before someone else gets them. 😲

Heh, yeah, a 4' storm surge might not be a big deal some places but my little beach would be completely inundated to the rip rap (large rock wall) with 5' waves on top of it. πŸ˜€

When I had large boats I had to get them out of the covered marina slip and tie them outside to keep them from being crushed when the Potomac comes a-calling. 😬 Once had to do it at 11pm in 70mph winds, Arrrrr! 🀣 River rose 3 feet in no time. I "land yacht" now. 😏 Gets me to better beaches.

I'll be checking on my beach early, no worries there, but after the rain and surge subside. Won't throw myself on the good graces of the local sea rescue or the Coast Guard. 😁

On 9/23/2023 at 6:40 PM, rvpopeye said:

Β 

SOHN

Β Good to see you back on sand city turf and clearing away everything you can.Β 

And then there it was , the ring.

That thing would look great to me even if it was "still silver" . ..πŸ‘Β 

I've been digging every solid beep clearing (some of) the junk here at the fair camping as I go but like your location there is just sooooo much of it but my odds get better (I think) every "voyage" arrrrrπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈ

Today I was digging a pull tab hoping for a nickel and it turned out to actually be a tiny skeleton key , it was yellow but definitely not gold ...πŸ€”

I've been saving it all up for my "mother of all" picture post , coming up when the ground freezes 😒.

Β 

Β 

Can't wait to see your treasure haul from that camping site. I bet the trash will barely fit into the picture 😲 My ring find definitely scream "get a better light bulb" over the sink πŸ™„

On 9/23/2023 at 8:25 PM, CPT_GhostLight said:

Congrats on your silver, gold, and old coins! That old dog tag is a great find too, well done! It looks like you’re back in the groove! 😎

Thanks. Some hunts are way better than others.

On 9/23/2023 at 9:22 PM, Joe D. said:

Β  Β  Your definitely a shining example for endurance, and patience! That's alot of hours invested; again! Also, to me, proves you gotta dig the trash, to find the good stuff; as in clearing the way to the masked finds areas!Β  Obviously, most are not willing to, or can't do that! Seems like a continuing winning formula for you!Β I wonder if anyone detecting after you does any better, or just gives up!πŸ˜†

Β  Β  Anyway, gotta also give some credit to any (especially yours) spouse that endures our hobby, and the amount of hours away! I'm sure some relish their own time alone, but other's are not so understanding! πŸ€πŸ‘πŸ‘

Β PS- While I do miss your "Trash Art"ℒ️! If that was a consession to your wife; timewise, I completely understand, and commend your dedication to your "other" hobby?!!πŸ‘°πŸ˜‚

It's kinda always been that way for me. Digging more than I should these days is a left over trait from the old days of detecting where you didn't have a choice. No one hunts the areas I do πŸ˜… They are much smarter than that. I wonder what they think of the old guy spending all that time digging iron πŸ€” Hey at least I spread out the non ferrous for ya. πŸ€— My wife has been a saint about me detecting (she probably wants me out there and out of her hair...πŸ˜’)

On 9/23/2023 at 9:28 PM, UT Dave said:

Wives that enable our fun are priceless.Β  My Wife just giggles at my excitement over what I think are killer finds.Β  She always asks if I found anything good, and when I say yes and show her an old silver dime and a junky piece of .925 jewelry she really does just giggle.Β  She thinks it's just dumb, but cuteΒ πŸ˜†.Β  I think some of the silly stuff she likes to do is just dumb, but cute too 😁.Β  It works for us!

- Dave

Yep, sometimes we amuse them. πŸ˜„ But as long as we keep going out, then all is well.

On 9/23/2023 at 11:08 PM, F350Platinum said:

Heh, yeah, a 4' storm surge might not be a big deal some places but my little beach would be completely inundated to the rip rap (large rock wall) with 5' waves on top of it. πŸ˜€

When I had large boats I had to get them out of the covered marina slip and tie them outside to keep them from being crushed when the Potomac comes a-calling. 😬 Once had to do it at 11pm in 70mph winds, Arrrrr! 🀣 River rose 3 feet in no time. I "land yacht" now. 😏 Gets me to better beaches.

I'll be checking on my beach early, no worries there, but after the rain and surge subside. Won't throw myself on the good graces of the local sea rescue or the Coast Guard. 😁

Yeah, you guys had it rough out there. Hopefully everything is settling back to normal now with minimum damage.

Beach hunt # 6 was a Manticore hunt. I just hunted the previous day on a project with the GPX, so I wasn’t in a hurry to pull it out for a second day. Besides, beach 1 had some slight erosion and a steeper slant than usual, so the Manticore should do well there for micro jewelry. So, I started there and although targets were sparse, I did end up with a silver hoop earring, keeping the silver streak alive. I decided to go to beach 2 (the iron beach) and dig that iron, but as usual on a sunny day that area had a lot of people. Not finding much at low tide, I headed out to a rocky area that has the potential for good targets but is very hard to dig. Huge rocks litter the area, and I had my scoop, so digging was fun. 😫 I actually started using a clam shell and a screwdriver to scoop sand out between the rocks. But this area holds the better finds and not many people want to take the time to dig there. That is where the pocket watch was found (12”) and the huge chunk of lead (also around 12”). I did get one silver Roosevelt dime there as well. Not a huge amount of trash. The Manticore did well in not finding iron, as almost all iron was dug due to being bored from the lack of signals. Not a stellar beach hunt, but always fun to just be out there enjoying the beach.

20230930_162015.jpg

20230930_162616.jpg

20230930_162646.jpg

Well congrats on adding to your silver total, sohN, well done! It looks like the Manticore spared you from digging so much iron and any day on a beach is a win! 😎

I like the TEN to ONE ratio of coins to Aluminium pull tabs. ☠️ That is good indication of ID capabilities of the Manticore,Β πŸ€‘Β  or should I say skill of operator.Β πŸ˜‰

The few times I've done it, getting stuff out from under/around rocks or pier lumber was not fun. 😡

I also dig iron on a small beach I go to to get it out of the way, and at the larger one I'll dig it if it's shallow, usually those bits are sharp. πŸ‘

Nice hunt, at least you got some silver. πŸ†

Impressive , as always ...

My fave in this batch was the blue engine , at least that's what I think it is !

Just kidding , silver beats plastic toys every day with a cap E and a cap D.πŸ€”Β  WTG

On 10/3/2023 at 7:32 PM, CPT_GhostLight said:

Well congrats on adding to your silver total, sohN, well done! It looks like the Manticore spared you from digging so much iron and any day on a beach is a win! 😎

The Manticore odes well on most of my beaches for iron. Some beaches, not so well, but overallΒ  it's good. I think it is better than the Equinox on iron.Β 

On 10/4/2023 at 12:41 AM, geof_junk said:

I like the TEN to ONE ratio of coins to Aluminium pull tabs. ☠️ That is good indication of ID capabilities of the Manticore,Β πŸ€‘Β  or should I say skill of operator.Β πŸ˜‰

It's the Manticore, not me πŸ˜„ I would dig every pull tab on the planet if I was in charge. This time though, I think other detectorists cleaned up most of the tabs, as well as maybe some got pulled out to sea.

On 10/4/2023 at 8:01 AM, F350Platinum said:

The few times I've done it, getting stuff out from under/around rocks or pier lumber was not fun. 😡

I also dig iron on a small beach I go to to get it out of the way, and at the larger one I'll dig it if it's shallow, usually those bits are sharp. πŸ‘

Nice hunt, at least you got some silver. πŸ†

Thanks.Β  It's getting harder to find quality targets at these beaches. If there is not a lot of movement from storms, then you have to either go deep or dig in areas others won't want to do. I tried it with a sand scoop and it was no fun. I should have just got one of my land shovels and tried prying rocks with them. Even my spade would not work there.Β 

9 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

Impressive , as always ...

My fave in this batch was the blue engine , at least that's what I think it is !

Just kidding , silver beats plastic toys every day with a cap E and a cap D.πŸ€”Β  WTG

Thank you. Yep the blue loco was wedged in between some rocks. Took me a bit to get it out. I'm just happy to see any silver come out these days. I'm due for a heavy iron digging day soon. I've been on a war project for 2 Wednesdays in a row. Only 1 tiny 30 caliber round ball in 2 days work πŸ™„. Saying things are starting out slow would be an understatement πŸ˜…