Beach Hunt 2023 Has Started

Great hunt!

I can't imagine digging holes that deep but apparently that's where the good stuff is. 🤔 Grateful you show what it takes to get it. Also swinging that huge coil... Wow. 🏆

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/16/2023 at 4:28 PM, CPT_GhostLight said:

Good haul, sohN! Congrats on the silver coinage, that's what we like to see! Well done!!! 😎

Thanks.  Can't hit the silver every time, but usually when you hit an area that has consistent depth for coins, you will get multiple silvers if the area is old enough. When almost every copper cent is a wheat, silver is almost guaranteed to show up.

On 12/17/2023 at 9:01 AM, rvpopeye said:

The silvers pic was awesome !  The deep hole  ?  Not so much .🥸 bet you were glad to be a son of the beach after digging that one !!

You're still making me look bad  BTW ! 😩  

Keeperwise . My 10 month wrap up won't look like much compared to your every hunt ! 🙄 the junk will though !   👍 

It was the best I could do here , so far.

I miss the beaches , only got about 10 minutes on one ( which was just enough time !!!! )... I dug through 4" of frozen dirt a couple of times yesterday .Then I  realized why and moved out of the shade :blink: but that's not gonna work too much longer , arrrrrrgh !🏴‍☠️  GL+HH 

Yeah the deep holes are no fun, especially if you start the hole off target.  Come on with the 10 month wrap up 👍. You won't look bad. In the end it's the fun and thrill of the hunt. I bet it's tough up there as winter sets in. Here, I can always go to the south shores and hunt the beaches and even the grass if it's a sunny day. But soon enough it will be beaches only. The good news is that the crowds disappear when the temp drops below 40. You think I dig big holes now? Wait until the beach is empty 😆

On 12/17/2023 at 7:11 PM, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Looks like you sure get your exercise when you hunt!  Your 16 inch hole picture sure shows even 16 is crazy deep to be digging and is to the point of a struggle to do.

Congrads on all the Silver ....... and the AQ!! 

Thanks Joe. I don't have much choice but to dig deep. The guys that hunt around here are pretty thorough at hitting all the good targets that they can reach. If you happen to hit the beach right after a good storm, you can dig some shallow gold. But wait a day, and the gang of detectorists have plundered all the gold 🙄. Better late than never has no meaning here 😄. Looking forward to getting reacquainted with the AQ.

23 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Great hunt!

I can't imagine digging holes that deep but apparently that's where the good stuff is. 🤔 Grateful you show what it takes to get it. Also swinging that huge coil... Wow. 🏆

Unfortunately (but also fortunately😄), that is where the good stuff lies. At this beach, I can't even reach the next layer where the 1920's coins (and gold) should sit. It would take a hell of a storm to expose that layer. But I think it would be very exciting to be digging seated, barbers V's and of course, early gold rings. Believe it or not, you get used to the big coil after the shock of using it the first couple of times. Plus I just repeat to my self..... you want to post a bunch of zincolns or do you want some silver? 🤔

Beach hunt # 12 and #13 are done. The first hunt was at 2 beaches that I never go to. Not a lot to say, as they were not very productive. The only item of interest was a very convincing gold bracelet that turned out to be just bling!  😫 I was hoping for some erosion, but not much sand movement recently. The second hunt was a week later and also consisted of 2 beaches. These are my favorite beaches, and it was the day after the storm had passed. Lots of severe waves but not the result that I expected, unfortunately. It did kick up some goodies, but only one silver and a couple buffalo nickels. A decent amount of copper cents, as most of them being Memorials you can guess that it was the wrong era, hence the lack of silver. I did get one old wheat cent (1929) out of the deal. Also, the smallest religious medal and smallest hem weight I have ever seen. 🧐 Some grueling hunts with not a lot of good targets in my pouch. The weather was decent considering how far into December we are.

BONUS HUNT: I didn’t want to start another post, so here is 2 days results of detecting a War of 1812 fort site. 10 round ball (not pictured) and a (yet to be cleaned) Navy button. That button made the hunts worth it. We are trying to determine the size of the fort and where things were placed. I love that kind of work. 🥰 Time now to enjoy the holidays.

20231216_145626.jpg

20231216_150319.jpg

20231222_185932.jpg

20231222_191545.jpg

20231222_191817.jpg

20231221_101829.jpg

Great couple of hunts. That SLQ is awesome!

That must be pretty interesting to do those archaeological hunts, sad you have to turn everything over but that is a great Marine button. 👍

Nice way to wrap up 2023! 🏆

Nice work anyway HN,

I feel your beach anguish down here on the Treasure Coast! Almost same conditions and results on the beaches, minus any coins🤯!  Four beaches this week (two today)! Lots of big waves, little erosion, and very few targets; even trash was almost nill! And all hunts with the PI (TDI SL)! Sad, as I haven't experienced it so bare of targets since I moved up here two years ago! Only relative bright side was an older ball field inland that produced some 60's-70's coins and a small 10k, and tiny diamonds? ring! Very little sand movement considering all the "weather" we've had!

Love the right facing eagle on the button, I hope it cleans up well, and the site has more to come!!🍀👍👍

BTW, forgot to add that I noticed the artistic flare creeping back into your trash displays!🤔 And 2023 ain't over yet, maybe time to squeeze in another hunt or three!!🌲🎅👍👍

It all looks great as always ! 

But the SLQ's head looks like a skeleton skull  :blink:

Dang.....that's what I forgot....LABELS !

Curse you Red Baron !  Foiled again  ! 😜

🙄  Some day..maybe .  If I just keep trying  , there it will be right in front of me , your beach ! LOL

On 12/22/2023 at 9:17 PM, F350Platinum said:

Great couple of hunts. That SLQ is awesome!

That must be pretty interesting to do those archaeological hunts, sad you have to turn everything over but that is a great Marine button. 👍

Nice way to wrap up 2023! 🏆

Thanks. It was not the easiest of hunts. It just shows you that sometimes you have to work harder for just one silver, then finding 5 or 6 of them. On the projects, I don't mind handing the artifacts in. At least they end up telling part of a historic story. I probably won't see a picture of the cleaned up button as it takes them a long time to clean all the artifacts. This one is actually a Navy button I believe. Marines and Navy buttons look very similar through history. After a lull of about a year and a half, the projects are starting to roll in. One day I'm on an 1812 hunt and the next day it's a King Philip war hunt (around 1674-75). Next season seems similar. These are shorter projects than the ones I did previous. All in all it's a ton of fun. It's a bit tricky since the 1812 hunt is directly under and next to 2 sets of high tension lines. You can sometimes hear them snap, crackle and pop 😅Very difficult for all machines.

On 12/22/2023 at 9:20 PM, Joe D. said:

Nice work anyway HN,

I feel your beach anguish down here on the Treasure Coast! Almost same conditions and results on the beaches, minus any coins🤯!  Four beaches this week (two today)! Lots of big waves, little erosion, and very few targets; even trash was almost nill! And all hunts with the PI (TDI SL)! Sad, as I haven't experienced it so bare of targets since I moved up here two years ago! Only relative bright side was an older ball field inland that produced some 60's-70's coins and a small 10k, and tiny diamonds? ring! Very little sand movement considering all the "weather" we've had!

Love the right facing eagle on the button, I hope it cleans up well, and the site has more to come!!🍀👍👍

BTW, forgot to add that I noticed the artistic flare creeping back into your trash displays!🤔 And 2023 ain't over yet, maybe time to squeeze in another hunt or three!!🌲🎅👍👍

Agreed.. With the massive waves of that last storm and after watching the cameras set up for surfers, I expected the beach to be stripped. The surge pushed up the beach, past the buildings and well into the parking lot. Results?? No much erosion  damage. 😌 I had hoped to find the Eagle button (one of my goals) and I was getting a bit discouraged that no one has found one yet. How can we not find that in a fort with a lot of men???🤔 But as we all know, it happens when you are just about to curse that you are about to dig another stupid shot gun shell.  Now the partial return to the artistic flare was a leftover impulse.....I think I was just over tired 😄

6 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Well not a bad way to finish up 2023, sohN! Well Done! 😎

Thanks. I may get lucky and sneak in another hunt. I'm destined to end the season on a zinc penny 🤭

4 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

It all looks great as always ! 

But the SLQ's head looks like a skeleton skull  :blink:

Dang.....that's what I forgot....LABELS !

Curse you Red Baron !  Foiled again  ! 😜

🙄  Some day..maybe .  If I just keep trying  , there it will be right in front of me , your beach ! LOL

😄. Yep, Lady Liberty has some beauty issues to take car of. She actually looks pretty good for almost being a 100 years old. 💀. Come on down. Maybe you will bring me some good luck. Or maybe your plan is to just bring me some cold weather 🥶.

Cold or hot, I wouldn't care . It's all about the dirt.  Which,,,i guess always looks better on the other side ? 😏 

I would have driven right past you to get away from that cold !  But looks like  it's not to be this year...arrrr  yer safe for now matey .

Actually it hasn't been all that bad ,,,so far.  A very Weirdo Winter ,,,again.

That reminds me , I need to go out and see if the shovel bounces back or pushes in ....