Beach Hunt 2023 Has Started

Did I understand right -- 11 silver coins previous hunt and 14 this time??  I realize the saltwater has been mean to them but do you ever check the dates+mintmarks?  Regardless, good work as always.

19 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

I’m going to keep going back until conditions change and the fun dries up. 

Most people would include weather as a factor in 'conditions', but not you!

25 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

It's easier to find Walking Liberty halves than those Franklins for some reason.

My hypothesis for that is the same as for the Roosevelts vs. Mercs -- fewer coins minted, but worse, fewer years for them to be lost before all silver was removed from circulation (by the public, not the gov) in the late 60's.

Wow, scored some relics again! 👍

Like the cross pendant and the vine looking thing in your trash photo, and the Ray Bans are cool 😎

Nice handful of silver too! 

Are those buffalo nickels?

29 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Did I understand right -- 11 silver coins previous hunt and 14 this time??  I realize the saltwater has been mean to them but do you ever check the dates+mintmarks?  Regardless, good work as always.

Most people would include weather as a factor in 'conditions', but not you!

My hypothesis for that is the same as for the Roosevelts vs. Mercs -- fewer coins minted, but worse, fewer years for them to be lost before all silver was removed from circulation (by the public, not the gov) in the late 60's.

Yep, it's been an unexpected silver streak. 🫠  I check the dates and MM that are readable, but not the really encrusted ones. I'm not going to do electrolysis on them until I get too old and can't hunt anymore. It will give me something exciting to do. 

As for weather, I'll detect as long as it get above 20 degrees and isn't snowing or very windy. Preferably 30 and above is good. I just layer up.  

I agree, same scenario on the Mercury/Roosevelt. It's funny how things work out sometimes.

32 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Wow, scored some relics again! 👍

Like the cross pendant and the vine looking thing in your trash photo, and the Ray Bans are cool 😎

Nice handful of silver too! 

Are those buffalo nickels?

Thanks. The Ray bans are a nice gift. I would have never bought a pair, so that's one of the perks of detecting I guess.

4 Buffalos this last hunt. This section was a gift for sure. It's been kinda dry lately.

I'm going back as soon as I can get some time off.

How are the tides there? I was wondering if your seeing any indication the water levels are changing? Here, this year, and not that Im hunting any but I still watch and they seem to not be going as low as many times as they have in the past.  We had two neg tides in Jan, past years we would get about one good one a week. 

I'm in between projects and getting the fever watching your post! 

And Great hunt on the Silver! 

Another make me look bad hunt for you !  Well done ! 

Out of likes already on the first post I read , guess we don't get more till later in the day ?

Like like like  , there's 3 ,  the hard way. You can't even do 3 the easy way .😳 and an Oh My ! for doing it in the cold.

And an Official  YARC user title "School of HOOVER Nox" (TWOhs,,,P.O.)

Feel free to make the T shirt .  Awards Swag Fund running low........

9 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

How are the tides there? I was wondering if your seeing any indication the water levels are changing? Here, this year, and not that Im hunting any but I still watch and they seem to not be going as low as many times as they have in the past.  We had two neg tides in Jan, past years we would get about one good one a week. 

I'm in between projects and getting the fever watching your post! 

And Great hunt on the Silver! 

The high tides are breaking down banks like never before. The low tides are normal but productive. There seems to be a lot of movement both from demolishing banks and from the sea throwing back old coins from within. It must be scooping up quite a bit of sand just prior to the shore. Gold rings were plentiful in certain areas. Docks and boardwalks that are normally not visible were exposed more than ever.  If you were one of the first to get there, you were getting some pretty old coins. Shield nickels, seated, and gold rings in decent quantity. I talked with a few guys well after the rush and they said everyone had at least 2 gold rings, other more than that.

51 minutes ago, rvpopeye said:

Another make me look bad hunt for you !  Well done ! 

Out of likes already on the first post I read , guess we don't get more till later in the day ?

Like like like  , there's 3 ,  the hard way. You can't even do 3 the easy way .😳 and an Oh My ! for doing it in the cold.

And an Official  YARC user title "School of HOOVER Nox" (TWOhs,,,P.O.)

Feel free to make the T shirt .  Awards Swag Fund running low........

I'll make two t-shirts -  rvpopeye for president - and ban schoolofhardNox from our beaches.  And you should see a doctor about that twitchy finger that keeps hitting that like button.

Too funny ! Nobody in their right mind would want me to be president of anything besides YARC  and I had to award my own title .  The crew wanted me to be The Grand Poobah , but I nixed that, sounds too much like dirty diapers !   I however approve your shirt idea , .....'tis true arrrrrrrrgh !   It's like being a gunfighter , everyone is tryin ' to beat you to the scoop !  !  Don't bother practicing  , your title is safe,,,,,for now..... 🏴‍☠️😎

Beach hunt # 20 was of course back to the same beach. Finding out that the rest of the beach has the same potential as previously has me going back whenever I can break away. It’s not often that conditions remain the same, and you can get a bunch of coins and a very nice amount of silver. Apparently, I have been drawing a lot of  power from my batteries, as each pack only lasted around 4 hours, before I got that warning sound no one wants to hear. The problem I had with my battery reading the last time had to be an error on my part  🙄 as it seemed to charge ok. If it was completely dead with almost no readings, I doubt it would have charged at all. Both packs now charge to 8.2V, probably what old batteries should charge to. As for the hunt, I couldn’t ask for a better day. Most likely a record coin haul at (I think) 165 coins, 16 of which were silver, possibly silver crosses and what’s left of an earring. Also, possible gold, as it does not stick to a magnet and looking at the rolled edge, I see only gold with no corrosion. Older coins include a Liberty V nickel and a Barber dime.  I must admit, after I get off the beach I’m pretty dirty, with wet sand all over me. I must a sight to see 😄 Even the beach dogs stay away from me. The sand is very damp and tends to harden more than usual. I had to scrape it off my pin pointer. I’ll be back again, as I still have one long section to get through and lots of other areas to test. Hopefully the weather stays warm enough to dig.

20240201_150955.jpg

20240201_152308.jpg

20240201_152623.jpg

1 hour ago, schoolofhardNox said:

...16 of which were silver...

Including two Walkers!  If I added up right you've had 41 silver coins in your last three hunts.  Didn't you say others beat you to this area?  If so, how did they miss so much, were they ignoring high conductors to concentrate on gold jewelry?  And is there a chance Mother Nature puts an end to this before you get everything within your detector+coil's capability?

I know you earn what you find, swinging that battle sword for many hours each time out, but it still seems like you've been on time travel back to the 70's/80's.