Hot Wheels V, Better Than I Expected

Two things motivated me to go detecting yesterday, Hurricane Idalia missed us by about 50 miles, so the weather was perfect, and we had a Blue Moon Tide so it was extremely low. Otherwise I didn't expect much, as this beach gets hit hard on the weekend and Monday. The weather last week was kinda miserable with the hurricane's approach.20230831_070827.thumb.jpg.3db9bf5483ca92f49e591fc04bb38a2d.jpg

Tide was high and it was pretty windy when I got there at 7am but would be negatively low at about 10, so I hit the high beach for a while. Got some coins and a couple toys, some pretty good coin spills but not like other hunts. I was using the Hoover program on my Deus 2 with a new twist, sensitivity low, Audio response at 6, and I set Magnetic Reject to "Accept". This is an old steamboat landing place so there is a lot of black sand, I figured I'd try it. Thanks again @midalake, I'm really dialing this in. πŸ™‚

Here's the total take, kinda surprising.20230831_170002.thumb.jpg.cfb740a349d23909e386e21838196a97.jpg

Got a pretty good amount of clad over my 6 hours there, I even hunted the southernmost beach. Got the obligatory Hot Wheels, guess a kid did some sorta voodoo with the bus, and the toy fire truck was over a foot down. The lighter is a really nice torch lighter.

But here is the highlight of the trip, the four objects in the bottom right corner:20230831_170838.thumb.jpg.5a040ee65036e7a721f95fa7705b9906.jpg

Because the tide was way out, I got a strong 60s signal at the waters' edge and after about 4 scoops dug this 1941 Mercury dime! Got my shoes wet because I wear them instead of sandals due to the nasty pebble beach. Oh well.20230831_170809.thumb.jpg.4b60beb96376fc4bc5f07f1d5ab148d9.jpg

Once I got the dime out I got a another 70s signal immediately and scooped out this old silver filigree crucifix, I'd put it in the 1920s but it could be older or about the same as the dime. It has the same patina as the dime and no hallmarks so I'm assuming it is silver. It weighs about 1-1/2 grams and the dime is 2.2.

Went a little further and got a pretty solid 47 signal, and after scooping a ton of muck, pebbles and fine sand I got this tiny gold ring, again no hallmarks:20230831_170819.thumb.jpg.b27a4e96769d7b2dbc1b4ad3befc6e86.jpg

You can see above it's no bigger than the dime, it weighs about .3 grams. I'm not sure if it's gold but my wife likes it. πŸ˜€Β She has a "nose" for that stuff πŸ™„

The last real shocker was this old Navy button top with some gilt still on it, apparently the back was lost or rotted away.20230831_170929.thumb.jpg.5c48182f7359d1fc942134afa8e0e377.jpg

This is not a high end beach but you just never know what interesting stuff you will find if conditions are right. 🀣 I've found really old coins and all kinds of crazy stuff here.

If anyone knows the best way to make silver silver again I'm all ears! Or eyes. 😏

Trash was just a handful, got some Peloponnesian pull tabs and sinkers and zipper pulls, the new beach nightmare.20230831_161236.thumb.jpg.9005eb99efc0fa324ca43d85f54e3e47.jpg

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

I was using the Hoover program on my Deus 2 with a new twist, sensitivity low, Audio response at 6, and I set Magnetic Reject to "Accept". This is an old steamboat landing place so there is a lot of black sand, I figured I'd try it

What could you run for sensitivity? Does not look like Iron Wrap-around was too much of an issue.Β Β 

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

Once I got the dime out I got a another 70s signal immediately and scooped out this old silver filigree crucifix, I'd put it in the 1920s but it could be older or about the same as the dime. It has the same patina as the dime and no hallmarks so I'm assuming it is silver.

Silver will not register 90's with Black Sand around, unless it is a BIG chunk up high. Air test that sliver you found, and you will see the difference when it is in salt and Black Sand.Β  Nice Hunt!!!Β 

Β 

47 minutes ago, midalake said:

What could you run for sensitivity? Does not look like Iron Wrap-around was too much of an issue.Β Β 

Thanks, It was really cool to get older stuff here. I'll have to bring a magnet to see how bad the black stuff is, for all I know it's old fuel or decomposing grass 🀣 Just wanted to point out that deeper relics are showing up!

Got sensitivity at 90, any more and more noise. The iron I dug was just because either the tones were crazy or it was a fairly large object. In V1.1 iron is much less of a problem πŸ™‚

3 hours ago, Rick N. MI said:

You did good. Nice finds.

Thanks Rick, it was nice to find the unexpected. All of a sudden I hit a small section that produced a few really good finds, most of the day was just random, and like every other hunt there I haven't posted.

2 hours ago, strick said:

Nice work 350 YOU GOT GOLD!! thats always a good thing..

strick

Thanks man,

Still not sure it is gold, but there seems to be a trend toward buying these extremely thin rings, and even solid gold they are cheap.

I'm a bit more thrilled by the old cross, hope it turns out to be silver.

Just now, Gold Seeker said:

Have you ever tried cleaning silver with aluminum foil and baking soda?

Do a search many websites and videos about how to do it out there.

Thanks!

Yeah, I have all the stuff to do it, but my wife says it leaves a grey patina. πŸ€” I guess at that point it would be necessary to use silver polish to finish up?