12 Rings - 1 Monster Platinum Ring

Beautiful haul. We all live for hunts like that 😄 Platinum rang higher than I would have thought. Great finds.

• Like 1

Wow - congrats on that dream week of detecting! Some real beauties in that mix. 😮

That had to be a great week for you and I bet that you almost had a heart attack finding the gold and platinum.

Good luck on your next hunt and stay safe out there.

10 hours ago, TTT2866 said:

Hi everyone!!

I wanted to share the amazing week I've had out in the field. The stars seemed to align with fantastic low tides coinciding with the mesmerising full blood moon. As I type this, I realise that one of the rings I found actually pictures the Southern Cross made with sapphires - perfectly mirroring the beauty of the night sky that blessed our treasure hunt.

Typically, this particular beach boasts tides that reach around 1.8 meters, but the real magic happens when they plummet to a mere 0.1 meter. Such extraordinary lows grace us only about four times a year, and when I spot them on the horizon, I meticulously plan my week around them. Whether it means setting my alarm for 3-4 am to dive into the hunt or embarking on an evening adventure post-work, arriving at the beach sometimes around 9 pm and staying out till early morning.

In the the early days of the pandemic, we uncovered this treasure trove, and it was not uncommon for us to haul in 1-2 ounces of gold jewelry in a single weekend, accompanied by a plethora of old and new coins. Whilst the golden bounty may have thinned over time, we still strike gold, harvesting half to a quarter of an ounce here and there on these bountiful tides. I've often joked that I make more at this beach than I do at my regular job; it's safe to say that my equipment has more than paid for itself.

What's truly remarkable about these low tides is the access they provide to areas that are otherwise unreachable. I like to venture out to the back of the reef, a territory usually off-limits, and explore the edges where the ocean drops to greater depths. This is the channel where precious rings tend to wash down, but their recovery is nothing short of Herculean due to the chest-neck deep waters, unpredictable waves, and the challenging terrain of rocks and slippery clay. I'm fairly certain I'm the only detectorist to have ever braved this territory. I can't begin tell you how many headlamps and Equinox's I've killed from being thrashed by waves here.

Our journey began along the shoreline when the tides were at a more manageable 0.5 meters. We scored a few rings, but as the tides receded, I ventured farther out, while my partner combed the shallows, raking in a bounty of her own, including a lovely 4-gram 18ct band. The first night brought me two 9ct gold rings as soon as the tide dropped to around 0.3 meters. As I continued to explore, I uncovered numerous coins, silver pendants, and more treasures. The lowest tide on the first night was 0.2 meters. A few weeks prior, I had struck gold with three rings in this very section.

The second night, as the tide hit a beatiful 0.1, I ventured back to the far reaches of the reef. A strong 70s signal on my trusty Manticore had me expecting another coin. To my astonishment, I uncovered an absolute ripper of a platinum ring, weighing just over 15 grams – my first full platinum find. A few meters away, right on the edge of the drop-off, I received another strong signal, yielding a silver ring, a copper wire and a copper ring, all nestled together in the same hole. Funnily enough, my partner also found a full platinum ring last time we were here, which was about of half the weight and about 40 meters away.

On the third night, as weariness began to swing, with fingers aching and my back doing its own thing, I pushed on, determined, like a king, and voila, I snagged, my last silver ring. 🙂

Over the course of three nights, my tally amounted to12 rings. My partner could only join for two of those nights, yet she managed to score about six rings and some amazingly preserved Versace sunglasses. All in all, a successful outing. Our nightly average typically hovers around 6-7 rings, and this time, we certainly had to put in the effort to meet that mark.

Happy prospecting! 

No description available.No description available.No description available.

awesome finds👍

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TTT2866 said:

Over the course of three nights, my tally amounted to12 rings. My partner could only join for two of those nights, yet she managed to score about six rings and some amazingly preserved Versace sunglasses

Outstanding>>>I like low tides!!!  Getting fired up for my winter season! 

• Like 1

Nearly half troy ounce platinum ring -- hard to do better than that, but sounds like you earned it.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Nearly half troy ounce platinum ring -- hard to do better than that, but sounds like you earned it.

It was very hard work! 

8 hours ago, midalake said:

Outstanding>>>I like low tides!!!  Getting fired up for my winter season! 

Yay! Winter is my favourite - ours is just passing now and we're getting close to summer where our beaches can start to top up again. 

15 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

That had to be a great week for you and I bet that you almost had a heart attack finding the gold and platinum.

Good luck on your next hunt and stay safe out there.

I was very shocked to say the least. I was fully expecting it to be another heavy tungsten ring as I've found a few heavy ones out there, always 10+ grams haha. 

38 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Thank you! 😄

• Like 1