Minelab Equinox 800 Vs Legend Leaking

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

Makes no difference, they either live or die 🙂 I'd rather it had been submerged, as it means it survived so that's a good sign.

Exactly! If it was going to crap out it would have done it shortly after it was submerged. I’ve heard the nokta legends are better in water than the original equinox. Is this true?

@Tyler I don't know, I doubt there can be a definitive answer to that, so many more Noxes out there, and who knows if people follow the depth guidelines, sure some fail when they shouldn't, impossible to know how many.  Thus far it looks like the Legend maybe more reliable in water, but then again, how do you quantify how many are used in the water compared to the Equinox.

With the Equinox being around for half a decade now it's bound to show more failures regardless.

Gigmaster owned 5 Equinox 800s. All were used in saltwater and all 5 leaked. 

He tried Deus 2 for a while.

Now he exclusively uses his Legends. No leaks and no other significant issues. 

I know that grandfather had never put his 800 in the water over the handle to protect the screen. He said that he read to many stories on here about them leaking. I also have taken his advice on this subject and have never submerged the whole unit.

Good luck on finding luck on finding out your answer.

Must admit i have never taken my Equinox into water basically as its never appealed to me,as i live so far inland taking the Nox to the beach or infact any other machine would only be used with the coil being submerged and certainly no higher.

After all the horrific stories of water ingress and having to return the machines i am glad i did not,some folks have never had any issues but it must of cost Minelab to address the problem as control head cannot be cheap to replace each time water gets inside.

I do like my Nox but just take great care of it as they can be rather fragile.

@RickUK I won’t submerge mine either. Also I’m very careful with the machine. Even though I love the way it operates if the most part it does have a fragile feel. I broke the coil ears on the first 11in coil but It was from over tightening I believe. Right after I put a put a stiffener on it as well. I was also in a rough, rocky cutover over with my wood laps and ruts from logging equipment. I may have stumbled and leaned on it. But I epoxied it back and tie wrapped it crossways it’s been holding for 18 months. I have a new spare just in case but I’d figure I would get all the use out of it I can. I might get a sturdier arm cuff for it. But I have some creeks and rivers that I might use the legend in if there’s a chance I might submerge  the equinox. If it’s no more than a foot to 18 inches deep I’ll use the equinox. 

I never have submerged my Equinox 800. Not really hunting watery areas. Having so many verified cases of water ingress it's just not a chance I'm willing to take anyway. My Equinox is now over 4 years old. Would imagine the seals over time get even less effective.

Were there any confirmed reports on the actual source of the water leaking?

9 minutes ago, RobNC said:

Were there any confirmed reports on the actual source of the water leaking?

I've read occasionally the speaker, and other times the battery area, especially with people that changed to aftermarket shafts, not sure how valid that is.

Mine spent 3 days at the bottom of my spa pool with a rock holding it down, left turned on, it went flat obviously but after 3 days I took it out and charged it up, and it was fine.  I did that while under warranty.   The water was 38 degrees c too, 100 degrees f, which I believe warmer water like that may cause leaks more than colder water as rubber shrinks when hot.  I did it a few times throughout its warranty.

21 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I've read occasionally the speaker, and other times the battery area, especially with people that changed to aftermarket shafts, not sure how valid that is.

Mine spent 3 days at the bottom of my spa pool with a rock holding it down, left turned on, it went flat obviously but after 3 days I took it out and charged it up, and it was fine.  I did that while under warranty.   The water was 38 degrees c too, 100 degrees f, which I believe warmer water like that may cause leaks more than colder water as rubber shrinks when hot.  I did it a few times throughout its warranty.

That was quite the test. Maybe currents have something to do with increasing leakage possibility? Ya know ocean salt water plus washing waves/current pulling and pushing.

I believe your Equinox is considered well done at this point with that slow cooking you did on it. LOL

4 minutes ago, RobNC said:

That was quite the test. Maybe currents have something to do with increasing leakage possibility? Ya know ocean salt water plus washing waves/current pulling and pushing.

I believe your Equinox is considered well done at this point with that slow cooking you did on it. LOL

The spa was running as it has to heat, which means lots of bubbles moving around and why I had to use the rock to hold it in place 🙂