What's The Biggest Golden Sun Baker You've Ever Found?

My brother just shared me a few photos of his 1st GPX-5000 nugget for 2018 and it is a dandy at 17.5 grams

It was deep too and no other detectors found it.  How is this for depth??? A Sun Baker with part of it exposed.  There is even a little plant flower with 1 leaf that was growing in the mud of a crevice in the nugget.  I can't wait to see the video.

Yes there are still a few nuggets out there near the surface.

What is the biggest gold you have ever found on the surface?  I'd love to see and hear about them.

TravJan2018.jpg

TravJan20182.jpg

TravJan20183.jpg

TravJan20185.jpg

Gerry,

Thanks for the posting.

I found a sunbaker while I was searching for meteorites in Franconia in April of 2012.  As I recall it this was just my 3rd gold nugget.  I was using my GPX 5000 with the 8" coil and I was 'beach detecting' a wash.  When I say 'beach detecting' I mean I was swinging much faster than most people.  I didn't know it at the time.  I had gotten my 5000 in 2010 and been on a few nugget hunting trips but it took me a year to find my first nugget in The Dale.

I can remember very clearly my walking through this wash (in an area less than a mile from the main camp for the meteorite hunters) and hearing a signal.  There are still bullets around and other trash of course but when I looked down I said, "I think I know what this is!"  I did not have a camera with me and I didn't know exactly where the car was so I carefully pulled the nugget out and carried it with me to get my camera.  When I returned (with some difficulty) I replaced the nugget and took the picture.  I took several more but they are all blurry.  This is the best in situ picture I have.  The other picture was taken near where I parked.

The specimen weighs 3.5 ounces and there is 1.5 ounces of gold in it.  This is both from my calculation and that of a gold expert at the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show in 2013.

Mitchel

DSC04654.JPG

IMG_4947.JPG

IMG_4944.JPG

Back 20 years plus found this beauty. Was detecting a small dry gully, had got a few small pieces up at head of, when the detector signaled a "horseshoe", "biscuit tin" no way could it be gold as I swung at top of a small about 1m high dry waterfall. On looking over the side I could see this piece of smooth quartz-gold jammed in amongst the other rocks. I posted this and few others back a few years here but as this is my biggest sunbaker here it is again. 

Horseshoe.thumb.jpg.8757d0cd7704650216d4351933477cc7.jpg

That is impressive Norvic.  I had not seen that picture.  Did you keep her?

lol not big by any means but WAS a sun baker. worked my butt off for a couple days only to find a few pounds of trash, I tossed my detector down out of frustration and noticed it right there next to the gpx.lol. at least it got me laughing and to quit complaining.hahaha

20180111_180027.jpg

5 hours ago, mn90403 said:

That is impressive Norvic.  I had not seen that picture.  Did you keep her?

Nah, had it with an agent for a bit, waste of time only "tyre kickers" looking for a bargain. Into the dolly pot and smelted ended up yielding  42.314 ozs gold, 4.442 ozs silver. Was just solid with a bit of quartz smeared on outside.

IDd, was a big unbelievable Wow, in fringe country that historically has no alluvials and only microscopic gold in quartz,   I had only just started the day and was going to camp out a few days, rushed home pronto to show the Missus.

Back around 1988 found a 1/2  oz. One with desert varnish on it, don't know long it takes desert varnish to form but I think  its a long time..