My Eyes And Ears Have Seen The Glory Steve Has Seen!

mn90403

I got my 800 from Bill on Thursday.  It could have been Tuesday but that is another story.  I charged it up and went out to my favorite beaches late in the afternoon.  I put on my gear and headed for the wet area I normally hunt.  I was using the WM8 with a wire to the supplied headphones.  So ... where was the 'bang?'  Where was the 'blow my socks off' sort of performance?  It was muffled, hard to hear ... disappointing.  What was I missing.  I was already starting to write the new threads about the lack of 'wow power' I had seen and read about.  I found a few coins and pieces but I was underwhelmed by this new detector.  I called a friend and told him I'd bite my tongue a bit because it had to be me.  I was doing something wrong.  I made a couple of tentative posts until I could get out to my testing area with better knowledge.

I did and WOW!  I laid out some coins, a ring, some gold nuggets, keys and other stuff.  This time I started without headphones and it was amazing.  The sounds were loud and clear and the entire detector resonates when you get over a target.  What had I done on my first trip? (I'll tell you later.)  The recovery was fast and adjustments easy (although there are more) and switching between modes was good for the targets can sound different.  

One of my first tasks was to take my nugget chips I use for my 7000 and Gold Bug Pro and test in all the modes for them.  No problem on these which got me excited.  I could see these little nuggets in all the modes with all of the tone choices.  Gold, single tone could be swung over little nuggets quickly and still sound off!  This was just a surface test but it was strong, much stronger than Gold Bug Pro.  I'll have to try with the 3030 and its coils.

I placed a ring near a .1g nugget.  It separates the signal in multi and single frequency.  Oh my.  My appraisal just went up higher.

When I added the headphones then I was blown away.  I had to turn the volume way down from my first day at the beach.  Why?  Well, in that session I had used the WM8 as I used the 10 and 12 before.  Plug in the headphones and detect.  I've added the JP booster recently and that helps (I didn't use it with the 800 as not necessary) but I forgot a KEY step.  I'm embarrassed to say I used the headphones the first session without turning them on.  Oh my goodness.  No excuses, just plain stupidity.  Now you know why I am blown away by what I can hear now.

This is certainly a different type of detector for me and I'm looking forward to all of the different ways I can see the ground I'm working.  Targets will be hard to hide.  Steve's 'faith based' detector will blow some socks off I'm sure.  It already has.  I'm wondering where to go as we speak which is what a good, performing detector should cause us to think.  When you get yours I think you will understand.

Guest Tnsharpshooter

You used with headphones off and wore them and found stuff.  

Most folks would never admit what you did.

You're  honest, no doubt.

It takes a real man to admit a mistake like that :laugh: The first time I took the deus to the beach with the 9.5 on it I had failed to match the puck on my headphones to the coil. The problem was I didn't know I had to do that so I used the speaker on the remote. 

I hope to get my equinox sometime this week. Good to hear you are enjoying it especially on the beach. If it works for me like it seems to for everyone else I'll be thinning the herd again. At only $800 I think I'd like one to keep in each car. 

15 hours ago, Tnsharpshooter said:

You used with headphones off and wore them and found stuff.  

Most folks would never admit what you did.

You're  honest, no doubt.

I sure second that Mitchel. The external speaker is quite loud and does initially make me think the headphones have already paired sometimes so it is actually pretty understandable. One thing about Minelabs historically has been weak audio and this was another area where Minelab paid attention and did a great job in my opionion. Glad to hear you hung in there. This is why it is so important people give things a bit of time before making a snap judgement.

I see ongoing commentary about Minelab not saying much or testers not saying much. I flat out told people over on another forum that it is because the machine will sell itself. All Minelab has to do is get them out and in users hands. The rest is just going to happen.

13 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I sure second that Mitchel. The external speaker is quite loud and does initially make me think the headphones have already paired sometimes so it is actually pretty understandable. One thing about Minelabs historically has been weak audio and this was another area where Minelab paid attention and did a great job in my opionion. Glad to hear you hung in there. This is why it is so important people give things a bit of time before making a snap judgement.

I see ongoing commentary about Minelab not saying much or testers not saying much. I flat out told people over on another forum that it is because the machine will sell itself. All Minelab has to do is get them out and in users hands. The rest is just going to happen.

If the audio only comes through the speaker and NOT the headphones........the detector will be worthless to me. So is there a ruling on this? 

Dave

Crikey, MN if I was near I`d have you stoned............nah only joking. Good one,  but I`m a wee concerned about you folks.:wink:

7 hours ago, mn90403 said:

I'm embarrassed to say I used the headphones the first session without turning them on.

I LOL'd a lot then.  Thanks for the laugh Mitchell.

Best of luck going forward :wink:

7 hours ago, midalake said:

If the audio only comes through the speaker and NOT the headphones........the detector will be worthless to me. So is there a ruling on this? 

Dave

A ruling on what? Nobody at any point in time has ever said or implied that audio only comes through the speaker and not the headphones. Of course the headphones work. You have to turn them on however! :smile: