This is a find (not a crime) of opportunity!

Today I got a late start at the beach because of a number of chores but I wanted to make an appearance to see what the wind driven waves had done.  I got there on an incoming tide about 2 hours after low tide.  It has been a while since we have had conditions like these so better late than never.

My previous hunt I had used a new pair of headphones but I felt more confident with the supplied phones so off I went.  The last time out I had cleared my settings with the factory specs so now I was setting up Beach 1.  That was very little change.  Noise cancel, ground balance and check the sensitivity.

Part of the beach had a cut and I was in the middle of that area.  Many people were out even tho cool and in some wind.  I headed for the waterline and pebbles and could tell the waves had not scoured out as much as I liked.  I was getting a lot of nothing again but I could hear pretty good in all metal.  My first hit was a corroded penny but you gotta dig.  I think the next hit was the same 20-21 that a penny gets you.  Now I had to make a choice.  This is a beach I know well so I headed in a direction to the north where I have found rings in the past.  After about 50 yards I decided to head south.

(I was reminded by that feeling of a change when I had been hunting for sharks teeth in Venice, Florida in 1978.  One morning I went to the right, felt I needed to go back to the left and in less than 100 feet I found a nearly perfect tooth about 4 inches long.  It was my best find.)

So, this time I went past where I had found the pennies and just behind a little girl standing in the shallow waves and I heard a 13/14.  I know what 15s are in this area, nickels.  There was no bottle cap chatter.  I didn't have time to pump up and down on the target because waves were coming.  I gave a scoop and missed the target so I went after it again.  I could feel something on the edge of the scoop so I softened my dig in case I would 'hurt' the target.  When the wave went out I flipped my scoop and I got a glimmer.  I knew it was a chain but didn't know if it was stainless or what.  With people around I reached down and picked up the object with some sand and stuck it in my pouch.  I didn't need extra eyes at that point.

There was time to check the area a bit before moving on, and on and on without many targets.  On my way to another beach I rinsed off the chain and felt the weight and I was hopeful.  This would be my best gold chain.  My wife found a nice gold chain in 2015 so it was my time?  I returned a half mile to where I found it and there were very few targets.  Time to go back and get my glasses and see if it was real.

When I got to the car and I got my glasses on I could see 14k ... yessss!  This along with the other couple of gold rings would pay off my wife's 800!

It was time to have a little fun.  I put it around my son's neck and brought him in to Lu fixing dinner.  She likes gold so it didn't take her very long to see it.  haha  We took a couple of photos with the king of the household and then I measured and weighed what I had found.

It is 14k/20in/19.1g.  It is my best gold chain to date.  It could have been found with other detectors but maybe I wouldn't have been in that part of the surf with my 3030.  Maybe another detector would be heavier and not as much fun as the 800 right now and I certainly would not walk out where I was with a wired headphone.

The conditions were right.  Wind waves are good for chains.

mmexport1523603565892.jpg

IMG_9468.JPG

IMG_9471.JPG

That's outstanding!!!

One dig, machine paid off.  WOW.

IMPRESSIVE!

Steve

I also paid for my 800 and most of my 600 today as well!  Only, I did it without a detector...

Last month I bought a high-end German Neumann microphone at an estate sale for $50. (Seller had NO idea...) I sold it on eBay this morning to a guy in France for $1250!

So with my Minelab military discount, the 800 cost me $764.15 and the 600 was $551.65. Total price for both detectors - $1315.80. Minus the $50 paid for the microphone, the two detectors together have now cost me a grand total of $115.80!!  Now, if only my 800 would ship soon...sigh.

3 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Ok.  I guess that settles the chain argument.  Must have been really bunched to ring up that high.  Awesome find, Mitchel!

Equinox just generally gives me the feeling of not "if" but "when".

Chase,

I was thinking the same thing when I saw it in the wet sand out of the scoop.  You and I had discussed the chain or at least 'mused' on it.  Who knows if it was in a ball in the sand or surf.  I suspect it was but it certainly was when it came out of the scoop.   As a mass or clump it gives off a single tone.  I've tested it that way but not in a long length configuration.

Mitchel

46 minutes ago, fredmason said:

wtg, Mitchel!!!  Yes, that is a cute Little Prince you and Lui got!!!

fred

Fred,

Thank you.

When you asked about him in your email, I didn't know how I could 'work in' a picture of him on a metal detecting forum.  This was an 'opportunity' I took advantage of to show him off.  :smile:

I hope some of the nugget guys see him because they don't normally come to the Equinox forum but maybe I need another big nugget to get him over there.

Mitchel

Congrats!

I think part of the success lies in digging targets, which we probably wouldn‘t have with our old machine.

At least for me some targets IDs are very close together on the NOX, so I dig it just to be sure..