Detecting Around A Surfaced Area

For quite a few days I have been detecting around a surfaced area with the 7000 and for about 3 hours I detected in the surfaced area with the 2300, and this is what I managed to get.  The bottom 6 came from the surfacing and the top 7 came from outside the surfacing.  It is a long time since I have found a nice piece at depth and I don`t understand why, but any day I come home with a rattle in the jar is a good day ◕‿◕

SAM_1815.jpg

SAM_1823.jpg

SAM_1838 - Copy.JPG

Nice gold!

So, what is a "surfaced" area?  Here in the US that would be an area covered in asphalt, concrete or similar.

Don't see any in the pictures so it must be something else.....

Hey LipCa.    The top 2 photos the old timers have taken off about a foot of dirt to get to the orange dirt in the photos. I`m guessing there must have been a lot of gold to remove that much dirt over a pretty big area. That`s why I spent a heap of time detecting outside the surfaced area. I was hopeing to get a deeper bit that was down at the same level as the orange dirt. cheers Dave

Thanks for the comments guys.         This is the Google view of one of the surfaced areas at Moliagul. A lot of Victorian and eastern state prospectors would be familiar with that little square at the northern end of the surfacing. The Welcome Stranger Monument.

SDC13783 - Copy(1).jpg

SDC13825.jpg

On 8/19/2018 at 12:05 PM, fredmason said:

Nice of you to use a U.S. 50 cent piece for scale.

Good mnemonic I only learned recently:  US quarter is 1 inch diamter; US half dollar is 1 1/4 inch in diameter.  US dollar (the old format, so traditional silver dollars and Eisenhower dollars but not the Susan B. Anthonys nor the new bronze dollars) is 1 1/2 inch diameter.