Short Day Out

Chris Ben

Hi all, I had time for a half day hunt today, so I planned on going back to a couple spots we had found gold in the past, hoping to squeeze out another nugget or 2. Plan a was a bust so I made a beeline toward the truck. On the way walking over random ground perpendicular to all the washes I hit a nice smooth signal on a small ridge. Dug down about 6 inches and got it out of the hole. Turned out being a fist sized rock. Thought it was a hot rock at first, but the signal was too good, so I was hoping it was a possible meteorite. Washed it off and immediately saw quartz. So now I was hoping for a speci. (Which I have never seen from this area) I washed it off a little more and saw some gold!!! Not sure how much is in there, but when I got home and cleaned it better, I found more gold than I was expecting. 

I got back to the truck and was headed home when my girlfriend said they were running a couple of hours late, so I had a bit more time to detect. I decided to try a completely new area expanding a known gold district on my way home. I made my way into the hills to the place I wanted to check out. Looked promising,  very similar geologic to the place I was just at. I only had time for about 20 minutes of detecting. So I headed up the nearest wash. Got a little way up and hit a nice mellow deep signal, dug down about a foot and half and found a 1961 nickel on bedrock, 3 feet away hit a similar signal let than a foot deep on bedrock again..another nickel 1984. Strange this was really out of the way and didn't find any trash. Only detected a small part of the wash when I had to head home.

20180916_184138.thumb.jpg.a828cc375d4a07a1c98fb412d393f06b.jpg

You can zoom in on the quartz and see a couple of spots of gold.

Chris 20180916_184206.thumb.jpg.fab5ffaa7a8c340819ba62b1833df249.jpg

That is a great looking piece Chris. Congrats on a nice find. If you do specific gravity test on it, let us know how much gold is in it....

Hope those nickels bring you good luck, When some prospectors find a  gold nugget
they leave behind a nickel in the hole to show appreciation or respect to the
earth or God for their good luck. Here is a webpage about nickels...

Dave

On 9/16/2018 at 11:31 PM, phoenix said:

A very nice piece Chris. ?   Have you checked with a ohms meter if any of the bits of gold are connected?

No I haven't. I don't have a meter. I'm trying to decide if I am going to crush and pan, or try to soak in acid.

Chris 

On 9/16/2018 at 10:33 PM, DolanDave said:

If you do specific gravity test on it, let us know how much gold is in it....

On 9/18/2018 at 11:04 AM, Chris Ben said:

I'm trying to decide if I am going to crush and pan, or try to soak in acid.

I would take Dave's suggestion and do the specific gravity test before deciding on an irreversible (destructive) route.  If there's a reasonable amount of gold, you might have a better (that is, more profitable) approach to take than turning this into dust.  More info is almost always helpful.

It would be hard to do an accurate SG on that sample due to the other impurities with the Quartz. I would put it in "muriatic acid" (hydrochloric acid) for a week/month and see how it cleans up (rinse well).