The Struggle To Persevere - Rye Patch Outing

Years ago, when I started to hunt Rye Patch I knew it was well past it’s hey days!  Yet, I continued to see nuggets being found there by others Prospectors!  Our group, finally started to pop some gold after wearing out several sets of boots and skid plates on our old trusty GPX’s. With the new generation of Minelab Detectors, SDC 2300 and the GPZ 7000, it was a new game.  Having cut our teeth on the learning curve of both new detectors on the California side of the hill, we set our sites to Northern Nevada.  Multitude of hours by our group to establish productive ground and techniques with our GPX’s, lead our new detectors to what seemed like brand new patches of gold.  This last outing was no different!  One of our hunting members had a moment of Total Recall and remembered a few years back that we found a few nuggets in a spot with our old GPX’s.  Well we hit the spot swinging and soon our detector’s started to sing back to us!  Now remember, I was out there a couple weeks ago, trying to track down a couple new spots for this group hunt trip.  I didn’t find any new spots on that trip and we didn’t even hunt the old spots on this trip, which I did good on. Now, there is only one way to run the SDC and that’s turn it on, it’s and incredible detector and the operators of it on this trip pulled teens of nuggets with it.  But, you have to know the variable sounds of the SDC when you run the coil over a target that set you apart from others swinging the same machine over the same dirt.  It’s the same with the GPZ 7000, you really can’t run it wrong, just turn it on!  You make it run for you and your inner self.  Sure I have settings, I like and so does everyone in our group of Prospectors.  You have to know what it’s telling you if it’s a target or not, there isn’t many Duck nuggets left in any old gold field(s).  Air testing or burying a test nugget does not reproduce any of these nugget signals (tones).  I’m still learning tones of the GPZ and will never be and expert of them.  The sweet tones of a nugget, I do have lock in my mind is what keeps me and boot makers happy!  Lucky...No - spend the time in your local gold field, might take a few pairs of boots, skid plates and multitudes of digging holes in hot ground and rocks to learn the tones of your settings of your detector.  We had a great time, even though the wind was crazy windy and made Detecting a challenge - Persevere, press on regardless!  Until the next hunt

Here’s Robin’s and my 2 1/4 day hunt total in dwts

5E01093E-14E1-4183-A424-80ABAE6800FE.jpeg

I'll never write Rye Patch off, as I have fond memories and many stories of Success for customers and myself back in the day.  In fact, I still enjoy offering Field Training there as the few pieces of gold the new customers recover are well earned.  The folks who think they can go out there and clean house, missed the boat by at least 10 years.  But even today (just as you said) the newer GPZ and SDC technologies are winners and good gold can be dug up.  My last year hunt produced 43 nuggets with the trusty Zed from Rye Patch proper and some of my customers just found a few more 2 weeks ago.  Yes the new technologies will allow old patches to give that soft golden feeling again in the palm of the hand.

The up and coming GPZ-7500 with small 8" coil will get a few more and the GPZ-8000 with Disc Mode will certainly open up some of the trashy sites.  I can't wait to get my hands on those 2019 new models...if they ever make them?

Those are fine chunks you and the Mrs found and a few with Chevron patterns too. Words well spoken Lundy and thanks for sharing.

LL, solid advice that just has been the go with ML gold detectors for this century, but Gerry a 7500 and a 8000 in 19, crikey steady on...... but then again Steves been pretty quiet lately and JP he`s disappeared................

I saw those nuggets and the smiles that Robin and Lucky were wearing! 

WTG Norm

I saw the nuggets too.

Good gold, I think you are holding some back!  haha

Mitchel

Nice haul Rick, your perseverance always pays off!