Chris Ben

Maiden Run With My GPZ

17 posts in this topic

Very nice, that is some great looking gold - congratulations!

1 person likes this

Beautiful specimens. Those should bring you much better than spot.... Way to go...

1 person likes this

Fantastic start - congratulations :wink:

1 person likes this

Very nice finds there Chris. Well done. Yep....got to love the Zed. Thanks for sharing.

Good luck out there

JW  :smile:

1 person likes this

Well done. Hope you find the big nugget still hiding in that patch.

1 person likes this

Perfect christening for a new machine. So how does it compare the the ATX ?

strick

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, strick said:

Perfect christening for a new machine. So how does it compare the the ATX ?

strick

We'll not to bad mouth the ATX, because I did well with it and learned a lot about detecting for gold with it, but I had been through this wash with the 3 coils and didn't find anything. The gold was either too deep or too small for the ATX. I think it says more about how good the GPZ is.

Chris

2 people like this

Congrats on the new detector, and finds Chris. That sure was a good day, and I think that patch has many more buried, need to get a small dozer out there :).  I confirmed Chris's meteorite, by cutting a window into it, so congrats on the gold n meteorite. I've been nugget/ meteorite detecting with Minelabs since I first got a sd2200 back in 2003, and haven't come close to your skill and determination, It came natural to you...Sorry but here is a bad pic I made with phone of Chris's meteorite find,  need to get one of those macro cameras for good close up pics...

20170212_180327-1.jpg

3 people like this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By phoenix
      A couple of days ago went to a new area, no diggings around, and no finesse to my detecting, I`m not working low and slow trying to hear faint changes in the threshold, I`m hooking in and covering as much ground as I can.   Two days ago I hit a point oner that I thought for sure was a birdshot and yesterday I got this one.    So for about nine hours detecting I got 2,  the gold is hardly leaping out of the ground all over the place, but it`s a big area and I`m still young (i wish).   2.69 grams.  Dave 

• By strick
      Working for a living is getting in the way of fun. I'm in a gold ring slump. Last one was the day before Christmas. We managed to get to the desert finally after nearly two years of trying. Most  stuff is from locally. A friend  has three ranches he lets me hunt on. The gold is hard to find....I'm just happy just to get away for the day and try and find anything to be honest. The parks are good to me sometimes. Looking forward to beaches and tops of the Sierras this Summer.. And hooking up with some of you!
      Happy hunting fellas..
      strick 

• By LuckyLundy
      All Winter/Spring in Rye Patch this year was a tough deal fighting the ground noise.  We knew we had to wait till Summer for the ground to dry out for some spots that hold the deep gold.  Robin & I, were on and extended road trip that started for a few days in Laughlin, NV and a hunt out in the gold basin area.  Then a short drive to Las Vegas for a couple days and then ending up in Reno stopping here and there for a hunt on placers along the way.  During this time, a couple Buddies where sending me pictures of their Rye Patch poke.  Braving the heat and with night hunts fighting off the Rattlers with some impressive pokes!  While in Reno, they told me to checkout weather for the upcoming weekend!  What Spring time conditions in June! 😳 We made our hunt plans.  I got home and unpacked Robin's Jeep and tossed my Detecting gear in my truck and the next morning bright and early hit the road with some heavy rains on the California side of the hill on I-80.  Rains, gave way to partly cloudy in Nevada...new speed limit East of Fernly, NV is 80 mph, what!  My hunting partners Rudy & Steve caught me in Lovelock filling my truck up and off we went...arriving at Rudy's last spot of deep nuggets at 11:00 am.  Rudy, deployed out of Steve's pickup like a seasoned Veteran and was on his little patch as Steve and I, was still gearing up!  He had two nuggets before we hardly had our detectors tuned, each around a foot deep.  I knew the area and gave Rudy a wide berth respecting his 23" biceps 💪 as he swings and extra large pick with rocks flying in all directions on each swing of his pick.  I soon, popped two deep nuggets and Steve yanked out a fabulous 2 dwt Chevron.  We had to run back to the trucks as a heavy downpour of rain gave us a break for a late lunch.  Soon after, hit it again, or should I say Rudy with a couple more nuggets before we headed back to camp.  Next morning, was more of the Rudy show!  He called me over to his chewed up 20 ft long deep nugget Patch for a listen of a target!  I stuck my coil into a 6" scrap and heard the classic nugget tone...we both smiled at each other as I gave a head nod of approval 😀.  We now began a 30 minute dig through the shale.  Rudy's pick at 15" had to give way for my special bedrock pick in the back of my truck.  At 20" this target was screaming bloody murder on the GPZ, but so does a 2 dwt'er!  Many breaks later and another 4" deeper we knew we were close.  Rudy's pen pointer was pointing at the crevice in the bottom of the hole.  Steve, finally works his way over to see what we are doing on our bellys with our heads in a big hole!  I give way, as I heard his bench made pocket knife open up and Rudy moved his giant finger away from the pointed spot.  A couple scraps and out pops the fruit to the effort of the dig!  Over 8 dwts nugget, is sweet in any gold field new or old diggings.  Steve and I, bowed to Rudy as the King of the short hunt weekend as he added a couple more before he finally let us pick up the scraps in his mini patch.  He was laughing at our misfortune sipping a cold one in a lawn chair for a couple dinks! But, it's the hunt, the thrill.  What a great hobby to keep your blood pumping...over 18 dwts on them coils.  The trip home with a cold I picked up from Robin, hit me hard and so did the surprise snow storm on top of Donner Pass.  Home safe and nursing my cold and wishing I was on the hunt, before the heat comes back to the high desert!  Until the next hunt
      LuckyLundy

• By Aussieau
      Just thought you guys would like to see some of the bigger nugs found in the last couple of months detecting in Western Australia.....lots of little ones but the bigger ones are still out there just fewer and further between

• By mn90403
      Fred Mason has a story in the new ICMJ.  Check it out at your local news stands or get a subscription from Chris Ralph.
      Let me just tell you that Fred has a picture of a nugget that covers a half-dollar coin.
      You can see some of the pictures here:
      https://www.icmj.com/ 
      Mitchel
    • By Swifty
      Was working one of my go to areas in the Southern Calif desert and managed to get 4 little ones for one gram total.

Just as was packing up my gear I almost stepped on this little guy out for a later afternoon crawl.