1980, garret deepseeker ads vlf/tr....I was going to find pounds of gold...instead I found pounds of square nails and hotrocks!  I did find a bunch of coins once I learned about reverse discrimination...

fred

• Like 1

Well it's a bit embarrassing...but Minelab GPZ 7000 and SDC 2300 bought on the same day.  Might seem like overkill to have started with the best but glad I did. 

April 2016. 

• Like 4

Whites V-Sat Goldmaster still use it and a GP 3000 still finds gold.

• Like 2

Whatever Whites entry level one was back in 1977. Mowed lawns till I came up with the $60 .

• Like 2

79 Bounty Hunter RB7, AU dealers had sold out all Deepseekers & 6000Ds. On defragment of brain total number around 30 to date, all brands. Most productive A2B, GM2 and Mls PIs in that order, but the Zs getting there.

1972 White's Coinmaster IV T/R, just before disc was invented. No ground balance either. Still found a lot of silver with that detector though because there was lots of silver to find back then!

I have a list on my profile of 84 detectors I have used and I know I have forgot a few. Owning a detector shop it was just part of the gig for me for many years and old habits die hard.

• Like 6

I hate to admit it, but when I first learned that gold nuggets could be found with a metal detector, I rushed to the nearest Radio Shack and bought their cheapest model; I didn't have it long before I realized that what I really needed was a Fisher Gold Bug 2. Since then I've owned over a dozen detectors that I can think of. 

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By rockett
      Just new to the forum hi to all.
      Just thought i would share a nice little photo of my work on Saturday. GPZ 7000

• By Azavsfan
      Hello all. I haven't posted in a long time but have been busy! No hunting over the summer due to the wonderful Yuma weather we have. I started college in the fall so hunting didn't start until a few weeks ago. No sooner had I started the SDC up and it had problems. Bad falsing and audio cutouts/volume hi/lo variations. Tried different batteries and cleaning out skid plate w/no help. Minelab said send it back, again, and it's off. Not the same problem I had with first SDC in March, but similar and I'm really bummed as my winter break is over 11 Jan and so goes my hunting time. Fortunately we have a friend here that has a spare md for me to use (Thanks Condor/Steve!). Of the few times out, I did manage to find an old coin spill w/one silver Merc (1943S), an undated Buff and a 55 Lincoln cent. Jan school will be interesting since I'll be taking Geology 101 and my classmate is also my detecting buddy who is better known as Dad. I look forward to it but want my SDC back. Good luck and Merry Christmas to all!     

• By Mike Hillis
      Woke up Friday to snow and packed and icy roads.  Got to work before they closed all the roads behind me.  I was like 5 minutes ahead of the road closures.  If I'd known that I'd stayed home.
      The temps dropped so low this weekend I didn't get out.  Ground would have been frozen.   Hoping for a better weekend next week as I found another hot spot to hunt that I think will be productive.
      Hope the rest of you got out for a chance at silver or gold.
      HH
      Mike
    • By Steve Herschbach
      There are many things for me to be thankful about right now. Mainly I am thankful that all my family and friends are in decent health. If you ever lose that you find out nothing else really mattered.
      Going into my second winter in Reno I sure am glad I am not still in Alaska. Highs in the 20s and lows in the teens in Anchorage at the moment. If I were there I would have put my detectors away a month ago and would have five more months to wait to use them again.
      Instead, today I drove over to California to test out some detectors around an old mining camp. Did not find anything of note but learned a lot. Mainly I learned I am liking 60 degrees in late November!
      Of course it can't last but no matter what it will seem like it is over before it even starts by my standards. And Arizona is just a days drive away if I wish, though I am finding I do need at least a little down time every year.
      Life is good here, and I hope it is for each and every one of you also. Happy Thanksgiving!
    • By Lagerphone
      Good day or evening to all wich ever the case may be. Have  been haunting this site for a while lots of good impartial info. Been detecting for just over a year an this has been my go to particularly for info on equipment. 
      Thanks
      Regards
      Lp
    • By rumblefish
      Not sure where this belongs, but I felt like posting it today.

Yesterday, someone who I follow on YouTube (a football/soccer fan) was having a very bad day. One of his dogs, who often features in his video chats, had been diagnosed with cancer and he was understandably devastated. Looking at the supportive comments from the other regulars on his channel, it was heart warming to see the support for a "friend" from such a small, but close community.

Visiting this board is also like that. The sense of comradeship between people who genuinely love what they do is very inspiring. I'm glad I found this little community and I would like to thank Steve and everyone else who contributes.

That's all really. Have a good day everyone.