1980, garret deepseeker ads vlf/tr....I was going to find pounds of gold...instead I found pounds of square nails and hotrocks!  I did find a bunch of coins once I learned about reverse discrimination...

fred

• Like 1

Well it's a bit embarrassing...but Minelab GPZ 7000 and SDC 2300 bought on the same day.  Might seem like overkill to have started with the best but glad I did. 

April 2016. 

• Like 4

Whites V-Sat Goldmaster still use it and a GP 3000 still finds gold.

• Like 2

1986 Whites 6000 DI Pro.  I still have it and it still works.

Whatever Whites entry level one was back in 1977. Mowed lawns till I came up with the $60 .

• Like 2

79 Bounty Hunter RB7, AU dealers had sold out all Deepseekers & 6000Ds. On defragment of brain total number around 30 to date, all brands. Most productive A2B, GM2 and Mls PIs in that order, but the Zs getting there.

1972 White's Coinmaster IV T/R, just before disc was invented. No ground balance either. Still found a lot of silver with that detector though because there was lots of silver to find back then!

I have a list on my profile of 84 detectors I have used and I know I have forgot a few. Owning a detector shop it was just part of the gig for me for many years and old habits die hard.

• Like 6

I hate to admit it, but when I first learned that gold nuggets could be found with a metal detector, I rushed to the nearest Radio Shack and bought their cheapest model; I didn't have it long before I realized that what I really needed was a Fisher Gold Bug 2. Since then I've owned over a dozen detectors that I can think of. 

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Steelheader
      Just thought I should introduce myself.  I am a new member on this forum.  I have been a member on the Finds Forum and the AHRPS forum for some time, and I just found this forum.  I live in Corvallis, Oregon.  I belong to the Beaver State Coin Shooters metal detecting club here in Corvallis.  I do mostly coin and jewelry hunting at local parks and schools.  I retired from Oregon State University in 2001 after working 30+ years there.  My other main hobbies  besides metal detecting are fishing, hunting, and traditional archery.  
    • By BeachHunter
      Hey Everyone,
      New member here and just wanted to check in.
      Not a new guy at detecting and I love detecting the SoCal beaches near where I live.
      It's awesome exercise and the occasional good find is what keeps me going.
      Best of luck to all and thanks for having me!

• By Legolas
      Hello all! I'm from Austria and I'm sorry for my bad English.
      At the age of 47, I'm only starting metal searches, but I have not yet decided on a device. Also wait for the Equinox and hope that it is good for my area, coniferous forest, old ways ....?
      I think field is a bit different than dense old forest. There were Celts, Romans, knights (Middle Ages) but also heavy fighting in World War II.
      It is very important to me that I also choose as a beginner a good machine suitable for this type of hunting.
      Tips from Pofis as most of you are, I gratefully accept!
      Unfortunately, the detectors here in Europe are a lot more expensive than, for example, in the USA, but that's just the way it is.
      Many greetings, Legolas!
    • By Luis
      Hola a todos, perdonen si no es el lugar correcto, pero estoy buscando y no veo la sección de nuevos miembros. Mi nombre es Luis y soy de España. He estado siguiendo este foro durante mucho tiempo y me gustaría seguir aprendiendo de todos ustedes como usuario registrado. Gracias y saludos. Perdonar mi inglés, estoy usando un traductor
    • By DD`s
      G`day Steve,  i`ve been following this site for some time now and would like to compliment you on a great forum, with many very experienced prospectors visiting this site, i would very much like to pick all of your brains,but would also like to input my 'take' on things as i see it, i can be quite controversial at times so be forwarned. Anyway congrats again and continue the good work!!!
    • By jcmaloney
      Greeting from Leicestershire in the UK.
      Bit of a Minelab buff, got a GPX5000, CTX3030 & Explorer SE .
      Just bobbing around looking for info on the Equinox & this place popped up.
      Will post some pics of proper old stuff if you like!! lol