Steve Herschbach

Target ID / VDI Numbers For Gold Nuggets And Gold Jewelry

Some good info here.

Those White's detectors,,like it was said,,,some documented small gold rings discovered that rang up with negative Vdi like -6 or so.

Great thread here Steve..... Kudos..:smile: 

This is a very informative thread.  Thanks Steve.  Does anyone have a metallurgical explanation why some some steel indicates non-ferrous when it rusts?   I find this most often on some forms of steel wire or cable that has rusted to the core, often disintegrating when you dig it.

I believe that once the iron oxidizes you no longer have metal..but iron/oxide a mineral...

but you better wait for a smarter person to answer...

fred

• Like 1

Metal detectors can sense both conductive and magnetic effects. Non-ferrous items have only conductive properties, whereas ferrous items have both conductive and magnetic properties. Many iron and steel items can unfortunately read non-ferrous. This thread goes into the details.

IMG_0441.JPG

IMG_0442.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Setting up your own VLF VDI reference chart.  

Found this thread very interesting Steve, thanks.  

I have a query for yourself and anyone else willing to chime in.

Obviously there are charts showing where certain coins/objects show on the VDI scale - as you have posted.  Due to obvious differences with coins in different countries a different chart would be required for Australia, England, China, etc.  And I'm sure that many of you take your own readings and make your own reference charts.  

My question is:  What is your particular methodology in working out what VDI number correlates to any particular object?  

Do you simply move a dime past the coil, it reads 26 (or whatever depending on the machine) and you record that number?

Or, do you want the dime read at a distance of 6 inches from the coil and record that number?

Or, do you want an 'at coil' reading, a 6" from the coil reading and a 12" from the coil reading.  And in your experience do the VDI numbers change significantly at those 3 different depths?  

Does anyone ever bury these targets in the type of ground they are likely to hunt and then document those VDI numbers rather than the readings of air tests.

The same procedure would obviously need to be done with rings, chains, etc, etc.  

The reason I ask is that I am seriously considering purchasing an Equinox and would need to do this for Australian coins and make my own reference chart.  Simply wondering how others go about this.  

Im not sure if there is going to be a simple or complex answer to this - happy for it to be a thread of its own somewhere more appropriate Steve if you think it warrants it. 

Thanks in advance :wink:

• Like 1

Charts are usually constructed using simple air tests. The big caveat on all discrimination systems is that ground effects and nearby targets can cause target id numbers to read both lower and higher, so all this really only works on relatively isolated targets in mild ground. It all goes out the window for anything more complex, and in places like Europe with thousands of years of history with different types of finds to be made, you simply dig all non-ferrous targets.

Therefore constructing charts they are only for reference under perfect conditions, and they must be able to be duplicated by others. Air test with moderate sensitivity a few inches from the coil. You want clean, solid repeatable numbers. Trying to go farther will just give you erratic numbers that bounce all over the place.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Charting is useful when you first start out.  Chart everything.  Treasure and trash.   Chart every type of target identification feature you have available to you.  Chart close, chart far away.   But when you get through charting everything, you'll find that all you really need to chart are a couple of reference items.   

For me,  I only chart nickels and dimes.   Oh..I'll do depth testing with a quarter and a half and a dollar but in reality, if its a high conductor it doesn't really matter what the number is, it gets dug anyway, right?  So the dime is the number I look at, and I want to know stable and fringe depth audio and number response.

For low conductors I really only need the nickel number for a known reference point and then knowledge on how well it holds a nickel id at depth.   Below the nickel is small rings, above the nickel is large rings.

The only other thing I look at is the ferrous / non-ferrous break point.   How soft is this boundary? Is it sharp or is it 6 numbers soft?   

But starting out is always best to bench test the crap out of a detector.  

And then the ground throws it all out the window, of course.   

HH
Mike

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mike Hillis said:

Charting is useful when you first start out.  Chart everything.  Treasure and trash.   Chart every type of target identification feature you have available to you.  Chart close, chart far away.   But when you get through charting everything, you'll find that all you really need to chart are a couple of reference items.   

For me,  I only chart nickels and dimes.   Oh..I'll do depth testing with a quarter and a half and a dollar but in reality, if its a high conductor it doesn't really matter what the number is, it gets dug anyway, right?  So the dime is the number I look at, and I want to know stable and fringe depth audio and number response.

For low conductors I really only need the nickel number for a known reference point and then knowledge on how well it holds a nickel id at depth.   Below the nickel is small rings, above the nickel is large rings.

The only other thing I look at is the ferrous / non-ferrous break point.   How soft is this boundary? Is it sharp or is it 6 numbers soft?   

But starting out is always best to bench test the crap out of a detector.  

And then the ground throws it all out the window, of course.   

HH
Mike

+1

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks Steve, Mike and MineBlab.

Always good to know what the experienced among us do when learning a new machine. 

Thanks again :wink:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By phrunt
      Has anyone had any experience with these things? 

Electromagnetic and magnetic interferences could be extremely annoying when you are looking for that hard to find gold nugget. Most of the noise is picked up by the search coil but a significant level of noise is being picked up as well by the sensitive electronics inside the control box.
      The control box is made of aluminium therefore the magnetic field easily penetrates it.
      To prove that, approach a magnet to the right side of your detector when switched on. 
      Millions of less obvious noise signals are interfering with your detector.  
      We have developed this Shield from the best quality material primarily used in sensitive 
      medical and scientific electronics. After years of studying and testing different materials we have found this one ticks all the boxes. 
      I have revisited the places where I've previously cleaned up and found more gold after installing the shield.
      It is 0.35 mm thick, held firmly around your control box by the armrest and  the new improved version with dual layer shielding on the right side is only 175 g!
      We have tested it on the GPX 5000 with amazing results such as quieter threshold, better GB, resulting in slightly increased depth.
      The shield allows you to increase the Rx gain by a notch or two without compromising the threshold. Use Inverted Response when hunting for big deep nuggets. 
      https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MAGNETIC-INTERFERENCE-REDUCER-SHIELD-FOR-MINELAB-GOLD-DETECTORS/232594646908?hash=item3627b8a77c:g:8lEAAOSwYGFU0bvu
      I noticed it on Ebay today while I was looking for a cover for my GPX.
      I have noticed I've been able to quieten down my GPX by opening the control box up and scraping some paint away where the shielding touches the casing, on one end they had scraped away paint from one screw point during production, and the other end had no paint scraped away at all by the factory so it's sheilding was basically useless.  By scraping paint away from a few areas on each end of the detector I was able to give the GPX a bit of a noticable quieten down.  I am sure on later models Minelab would of scraped away more paint but as mine is a very early model made in Australia version this wasn't done.

• By Steve Herschbach
      We just went through a few years on constant releases of new prospecting detectors. And now the flood has subsided, with almost nothing on the horizon.
      There is the “any moment now” Makro Gold Kruzer, running at 61 kHz and waterproof to 15 feet. After that however it gets pretty thin.
      First Texas has new detectors in the works, but nothing rumored that is aimed specifically at prospecting this year, but maybe later. Right now a PI beach detector appears to be up next. Garrett - maybe they are working on it but personally I have given up waiting on a lighter weight ATX. Tesoro - nothing going to happen there obviously.
      Minelab still “owes” us GPZ owners a smaller coil but with Equinox occupying all their efforts....?
      Nok/Mak outside of the Gold Kruzer has been working on a PI for years, but absolutely no hints on it getting any closer to market.
      XP I thought might bring a version of the low cost DPR 600 to first world markets but no sign of it happening.
      And White’s? Who knows. Maybe we will see a repackaged GMT but the shine has worn off of repackaged detectors these days.
      Long story short is it often takes new detectors to stir up activity on forums. For now at least the future is looking pretty quiet. The good news is we can just focus on using what we already have to best effect without being tempted or distracted by new shiny toys! 
    • By schoolofhardNox
      Well today was beach hunt #7 with the Equinox. There wasn’t a lot of detecting room, with the way the tide was today. Also, a lot of people walking and laying out on the beach. It’s getting crowded out there. I was hoping to keep the streak alive today and I didn’t have to wait very long. First good target was the pink stone 14 K Gold ring. I almost didn’t believe it. That made the rest of the hunt less stressful and more enjoyable, as the gold streak would continue. But I didn’t expect to get too much more, but the finds kept coming.  All the time I just kept shaking my head, I can’t believe what Minelab has done!!! 4 gold rings, some silver and a small amount of clad. The broken class ring was found in 2 separate holes about 60 ft apart. The breaking points match up perfectly…they were part of the same ring. The tiny targets were out in full force, as well as the pull tabs too. A small price to pay for the good finds that can come with it. Probably the smallest chain this machine can pick up. Had a hard time locating it once it was out of the hole. I was glad to get out today… a picture-perfect weather day!

• By Mike Hillis
      Patch Gold = A patch is a hot spot with the right ingredients (cover, clientele, and activity) to allow re-occurring jewelry losses over time.  Patch Gold is gold jewelry found in this hot spot.   
      This is nice piece of Patch Gold from one of my patches.   18k White gold with a very pretty diamond I found a few weeks back.   
      HH
      Mike

• By mn90403
      I went out early this morning.  I was expecting a cut as there had been a 3 hour period of high waves during high tide.  As it turned out it was more of a 'blow over' than a cut so after about an hour it was time to move.  My next beach was less blown over so I settled in for a bit.  Finally I found a few quarters and that can mean rings!  So it was today.  My first ring was the 18.  This made me circle, grid and look near for another.  About 20 feet away I got the 16.  Nice 2 ring morning before 7 AM.  I kept hunting and found the cheap tennis bracelet and then I got the 8, the 3rd ring.
      I'll give the composition of the ring and you tell me which number goes with it.  I'll come .back Thursday Night and tell you the number that goes with the ring
      There is a copper ring in the top center.  There is a silver .925 ring on the left with a nice little amethyst.  There is 18k GP ring with a larger glass or crystal on the right.
      Mitchel

• By Jackpine
      But the wrong kind

Had to hunt the beach for a while before the sun and wind broke up 1/4 inch of skim ice next to the shore.
      As expected very few signals of any kind but did manage a small kids size 925 silver bracelet wgt 3.5 grams

I really enjoy using the Fisher ID Edge for working the near shore iron and pulling out the small low conductors.