When Finding Bigger Gold, Is It Best To Not Show It Off?

I get to share many more stories, photos and sometimes videos of amazing gold discoveries than the average person, mostly do to the fact I sell metal detectors and my customers are usually happy to share their Success stories.

On occasion I get to see some finds that I can never show or share as the finder has asked that of me.  Boy has there been some crazy amounts of gold being recovered with detectors still.  Sure wish I could tell you all but I'd then piss off some of those who take me for my word and I'd prefer not to lose that friendship.

My question is, what do you folks do when you find something substantial?  Is it best to keep amongst your few inner circle or is it ok to let everyone know?

Yes I want to share MD'ing finds as I sell detectors for a living, but also, I have personally been walked over for giving out to much info.  I try to walk a fine line and keep everyone happy, if it's possible.

I myself have been fortunate and found a few trophies and even caught a couple on video, but after viewing the video, realized the video could cause a mini gold rush.  

Do you share and tell all or keep most of your finds to yourself?

I really don't think there is a right/wrong answer?

Thanks for your input.

• Like 3

Hi Gerry

Over the years starting back in 65 I hunted alone. I never told what I found are the location I was hunting.

I’ve enjoyed all the show and tells you have shown on the forum but for myself I’m still reluctant to do so .

I guess you could say it’s hard for a old dog to learn are do new tricks.

When I see someone with all the rings they found I just say been there done that .

Again thanks for the show and tell .

Chuck 

• Like 4

Does it matter as long as the images don't have any geo location data and the person is kept anonymous? Most the finds I have I don't post but do post many of the coins as there is usually some good info about them that others share. Most the rings I post are usually older or may have a back story. I think posting finds makes it interesting.

Of course I understand if your finding the gold in a certain form and in a certain federal building and want to keep any sort of methods/tunnels a secret 😉

• Haha 1

I agree with only showing the finds and a good story! That's what keeps us going, even when we can't go out ourselves! Obviously not the  specific location's! It's important to seperate the location info, from the pictures of finds!

The Treasure Coast Salvagers usually post stuff well after they are done searching a specific area that is producing, and they have it cleaned and safely secured away! That way they aren't followed by lease breaking thieves to a specific location!👍👍

• Like 3

Showing off photos or vids of gold is good for the ego, good for other forum members especially beginners for the confidence other peoples success may give them. Whilst gold brings out the best in mans ingenuity the old saying it also brings out the worst in his nature is unfortunately very true. Thus my reply and I repeat this is my reply to this threads Question, on balance it is not good nor wise to show off gold finds.

• Like 4

I admit it is a quandary at times. If nobody ever showed finds forums and such would get pretty dull. On the other hand it can attract unwanted attention. I go out of my way to note I have no gold or other serious valuables in my house, but I worry somebody might come looking anyway. Kind of like the time my locked truck that had nothing in it got broken into. Nothing was stolen, but I still had a side window to replace.

• Like 5

I was advised years ago by a broker that with larger pieces (10 oz +) to not put them on the internet as many buyers will pay a premium for them. Why? I don't know. Maybe they tell their mates they found them.

Sometimes it's also just not worth the flack you'll receive from some members of various forums.

Another thing I've found is that as prospecting season approaches you'll have heaps of friends who want to catch up but after their holiday you wont hear from them again until their next holiday is approaching.

• Like 5

I like to share my finds but I choose to do it through you.  That way nothing is attached to me when it hits the internet.

I find you to be a trustworthy intermediary so even with a large find people would be left guessing where it was found.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Erik Oostra
      A recent post offering advice to newbies has inspired me to put in my own two cents worth.. My advice to those wanting to take up metal detecting is: Don’t! You’ll be far better off trying another hobby like banging your head against a brick wall, pulling out your hair in sheer frustration, or crying yourself to sleep at night.. 
      Of course I’m only joking but any newbie has to prepare for the never-ending toil of digging junk, lots of it.. If you can handle this without having a nervous breakdown or flinging your detector out to sea, you’ll be amply rewarded when you finally hear that magic sound telling you there’s buried treasure below your feet.. A hard-won experience like no other! Metal detecting truly is a game where dogged determination and persistence will eventually pay off.. 
      The only problem is that when you finally get to this stage, all you’ll ever think and dream about is metal detecting.. Your marriage will fail and your kids will starve but none of this matters as long as you can get a few more swings in.. In metal detecting there’s no such thing as an unhealthy obsession.. A house filled to the brim with all the latest detectors that you’ll never use is not weird at all.. Just rest assured that there’s many others just like you! 
    • By maxxkatt
      This is for the person who has no experience in metal detecting on what to buy and how to get started.

Today's modern metal detectors are more like computers (or more exactly modern signal processors). They are very powerful and often complex.

Buying one the best detectors out there, the Minelab Equinox 800 is a real mistake if you have never metal detected. Quite honestly it is too complex for you to learn in addition to learning how to metal detect.

Instead buy the Minelab Vanquish 540 for $379 for a packaged deal.
      Why? It is simple to learn and it uses the same Target Id numerical range and tones as the Equinox 800. Use the 540 to learn the theory of metal detecting. The physics behind metal detecting is the same for all detectors for the most part.

Use your 540 for the first year. Once you are proficient (eg finding some good targets on a regular basis) then and only then consider the Equinox 800. But be prepared for a steeper learning curve. But it will be made easier by your year's experience with the Vanquish 540.
    • By Joe D.
      Hello All,
        Just a warning for anyone wearing unsupported footwear! The "malady" referenced above can hopefully be preventable, or at least reduced, for us "older" folks here!!
         I have occasional flare-ups, if I don't pay attention to my footwear support! My sandybeach footwear, hit me with a vengeance today! As I (stupidity) thought, I was healed enough from a less severe bout, from about 2 weeks ago! 
         I had switched from "water shoes" to above the ankle neoprene "dive boots" with a non-skid bottom, to keep all the sand from grinding my toes to hamburger, on beach/surf hunts last year! They are flat bottomed with little support! And that was with inserts!
         My initial half mile walk was fine, with only minor discomfort! But upon my first "deep" scoop with that foot, I felt a pop, and it felt like someone had just "shot" me in the heal! But I continued to hunt with the after-effects anyway! Not smart, but I was just starting! You know how it is!
         Let's just say, the rest of the hunt, and return trip, along with the rest of the day, has not been fun! I'll probably need a few cortisone shots, crutches, and a new pair of "water boots"! 
         If anyone has some "tried and true" suggestions to keep the support, and the sand out, on and off shore, I'm all ears! Thanks!!👍👍
    • By Pinger
      Well I been out several times now with the ML-EQ800 and I’ll say this …….. I GIT’N  IT ! , im git’n  it …. That said - I got couple questions. Does this hold true ( first pic ) it seems it is for the most part- I can see now getting use to it that on good clear pings this is right . I haven’t found any gold or silver jewelry yet but SO FAR it seems I bout got the coins down! I’m getting to where I can call them now all except for the nickels . ON EVERY QUARTER AND PENNY I dig I’m waiting for it to be a big nice gold and diamond ring tho ! I’m pretty sure  thats the range  they for the most part fall into . Seems on Park1 between 19 and 25 maybe 28 I’ll get the pennies and quarts ( flat quarters I think may be higher ) ok so what y’all think the question I had goes with the first pick the second pic is yesterday morning’s learning session #2 pic and today’s finds was the same except I had less trash and more quarters and dimes  )

• By Mr Swing king
      I know everyone says hit the sun bathing spots in parks, but around here, people don't seem to sunbathe a lot in the parks. Or I just never see it.
      I saw 1 woman sunbathing in the park near my work 1 time, and found tungsten close by when I came back the next day at lunch.
      Typically, where in the parks where you're at, do you see people sunbathing?
    • By SeaScene
      Fall is arriving on Vancouver Island Canada with cooler weather and some rain.  The forests are increasingly resistant to fire and safe to enter.  Our mining claim is at the 4000-5000 foot level on the side of a heavily forested mountain.   After testing several washes with a long prob we were finding depth to be in the vicinity of 1 m / 3 feet.  I do have an Anfibio Multi which is not suited.  Looking for advice on buying a detector for this depth.  The washes we surmise hold decent cache of placer and we also suspect a small vein is nearby.  So, the washes to be investigated would contain decent sized targets not pickers or flour gold.   I have heard "Minelab GPX 5000 machine with Coiltek 22" DD Goldstalker coil" and "JW Pulse 8x" would be suitable.  I would appreciate your comments.  I also am aware of the Minelab 7000.  Although the price is high and we do not seek overkill or other uses except for this project the 7000 would have to be considered.  Good luck out there and thanks in advance for posting if you do.