A bright green meteor streaked across the southern coast of Tasmania, Australia, and researchers caught the fireball on camera as it broke up over the ocean. 

The meteor lit up the night sky on Wednesday (Nov. 18) at 9:21 p.m. local Tasmanian time (5:21 a.m. EST and 1021 GMT). A livestream camera on the research vessel Investigator, which is operated by Australia’s national science agency, CSIRO, captured incredible views of the fireball as it descended from space and disintegrated above the Tasman Sea. 

https://www.space.com/bright-meteor-video-tasman-sea-november-2020.html 

• Like 6

Unfortunately, partly because of our impressions of the unrealistic special effects in movies, etc., these kinds of recordings don't really do justice to the spectacular experience one gets seeing it in person.  I'm pretty sure (not 100%) that what they show is in slow motion; if so why couldn't they also show it in true time increments, like the fortunate real-time viewers saw?  Still won't come close to being there, though.  Same thing goes with aurorae.  They inundate us with time lapse (speeded up) views.  When I first saw them in person I was confused.  "Why aren't they moving like draperies in the wind?"

Still glad they share these, though.

• Like 2

I've only seen a low flying meteor once and that was shortly after I arrived at Brisbane Airport in Australia, it was about 2am and I was driving the car along the highway just after arriving in Australia, and saw it zoom across the sky right in front of me, it looked very big, bright and fast, lucky to take a second to go past, it was so big and low I have no doubt it hit the ground. 

The only problem was there was 3 other people in the car with me not one of them saw it, I did as I had my eyes on the road and it went across the sky straight in front of us, they were too busy yapping.  It was a great thing to see but because they didn't see it they thought I was dreaming 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

Saw a beauty a few years ago up here in Northern Tasmania . Driving home late at night in a country area , no lighting to lessen the effect of the meteor's brightness . It appeared from my RHS passing high above the car , disappearing low over the horizon to my left . A dazzling bright green light that lit the countryside so brightly that i could see like it was daylight ! Nearly ran off the road as i had never seen anything like it . It's an awesome experience if your ever lucky enough to see one .

• Like 2

On one of my early West Australian trips we were camped out in the Desert sitting around the camp Fire and the sky lit up as a meteor (or maybe fallen space junk) went by. It sure made an interesting night for all of us.

• Like 3

I've seen several large meteors.  The last one was early this month as I was going to my last gold hunting trip.  I noticed a streak off to the left of the car and then I followed it past the windshield post to the windshield before it 'blinked' and I saw it again for about a two seconds later and then it broke up and was no longer seen.  I reported it recently as you can do online giving your impression and where you were.

My sighting of the space junk coming it was just incredible.  It was like a movie as I was stopped with a dark sky and watched the event and multiple pieces burning for a minute or so.  I can still remember one more solid piece going on and on to the north while many of the other pieces slowed and went dark.  I described all of that in detail here on another thread.

There must be heaps of falling stars. When you are out in the desert with no light pollution you can see a few every night. Ran out of likes mn90403