Fisher Impulse, July 2021, $2800 - $3500

4 hours ago, Carolina said:

Knowledge on how to set the AQ up properly for the circumstances at hand. Knowledge on how water classifies targets on the slope and in the water. Knowledge of the differences each beach you hunt have to one another. 
knowledge on swing speed verses the set up of the machine. 
knowledge of the suttle differences your target response gives.

There are many more things related to best time to maximize your efforts, learning tides and swells effects, learning to read your beaches at any given time. Knowing what machine to use and when and where. What coil size you should be using, and on and on and on.

X-2! Amen Carolina...

What kills me is when a few say the AQ is just a beep and dig detector...🤨

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Being  an "outsider" of the AQ Ltd., I have read, and watched, everything on this forum that's been posted about it! And i knew that for me, never having owned a PI, that it would be counterproductive to start with this one! But I was still very much interested in the process!

As far as Rick and Alexandre are concerned, everything they have said and done with the Ltd., as far as the release and evolution, has been spot-on;  within their span of control! I appreciate the way it was released, and value all the imput both positive and negative, given by those who are serious testers!

We all knew from the beginning that it was very much a focused use, unfinished detector, that you could buy, at or near cost of production, with the final version costing considerably more! 

If I've missed something in my summation, let me know! But in my opinion, I don't like seeing what seems to be a lot of criticism, by anyone who did not follow the whole process! It was plainly laid out at the beginning! 

I understand that not everyone will agree with this approach to creating a new detector! But it was a novel approach, that I think will make for a great final version! But only for those who know it's limitations, and use it accordingly!👍👍

• Like 7

I have to add to this thread, my perspectives on my limited usage I have had with the AQ. I knew from the beginning I would be using this machine counter to it's normal usage. There were 3 situations on my beaches that I thought I could use the AQ with success. It has performed well on 2 of them, one in particular: when a lot of sand was removed from the lower slope and a clay base was located around the 8-10" range. Above the clay was about 6" of packed rocks. Above that was around 2" of regular wet sand. I saw 2 Equinoxes and an Excalibur beating up this patch that was exposed. I waited, and as soon as there was  room, I entered the patch saying hi to the three people I had met before. I had the AQ in Tone mode, but switched to mute mode as well. In a short time, I hit a lot of low conductor targets. I think I hit 8 or 9 nickels all in the 8" range. If I had more time that day (sun almost down) I'm sure I  would have hit gold if it was there. That is one scenario where the AQ would work on regular beaches. The second scenario I will hold onto for now 😄 The place that it did not yet work was on dry sand. Not sure if it's just me, but it seems that wet sand (salinity) is somehow needed to get those depths. Kind of the same thing that happens to me when relic hunting in the woods during spring. I know water always aides in depth, bit I was hoping there would not be as much of a loss of depth with this machine.  I envisioned it getting the extra depth on dry sand that the GPX does not have for gold and nickels. So far it's a no, but time will tell. So it is a niche machine but it has value for regular beach hunting under some conditions. I agree that people that think it has no discrimination characteristics are misjudging the AQ. I think when the dust settles, the AQ will be a weapon of choice for many people.

• Like 6

On 2/26/2021 at 6:58 AM, Carolina said:

Knowledge on how to set the AQ up properly for the circumstances at hand. Knowledge on how water classifies targets on the slope and in the water. Knowledge of the differences each beach you hunt have to one another. 
knowledge on swing speed verses the set up of the machine. 
knowledge of the suttle differences your target response gives.

There are many more things related to best time to maximize your efforts, learning tides and swells effects, learning to read your beaches at any given time. Knowing what machine to use and when and where. What coil size you should be using, and on and on and on.

Setting up the AQ isn’t hard if you have owned a PI before. The only thing I have found different compared to the other two PI is that you have to go slower. Due to the power it’s more sensitive to changes in speed and coil control, at least that’s what I think, but I may be wrong.

The rest of of the knowledge you brought up about reading the beach and knowing when and where to go is what truly matters. I don’t care how great your machine is or how perfectly you set it up.  If the beach is sanded you will only find thrash more often then not.

On 2/26/2021 at 12:14 PM, The Seeker said:

Setting up the AQ isn’t hard if you have owned a PI before. The only thing I have found different compared to the other two PI is that you have to go slower. Due to the power it’s more sensitive to changes in speed and coil control, at least that’s what I think, but I may be wrong.

The rest of of the knowledge you brought up about reading the beach and knowing when and where to go is what truly matters. I don’t care how great your machine is or how perfectly you set it up.  If the beach is sanded you will only find thrash more often then not.

Well you might want to go back and read about the ATS and swing speeds it sounds like. This is a good example of what I mean about knowing how to set the AQ up for your specific purpose.

1 hour ago, Carolina said:

Well you might want to go back and read about the ATS and swing speeds it sounds like. This is a good example of what I mean about knowing how to set the AQ up for your specific purpose.

I don’t have to read anything that I have read plenty of times. The only way I can barely run the detector with minimal falsing is with presets. Out off the 30+ detectors out there there’s only a handful that work as they should but nobody discusses this because it’s taboo. Have a nice day.

34 minutes ago, The Seeker said:

I don’t have to read anything that I have read plenty of times. The only way I can barely run the detector with minimal falsing is with presets. Out off the 30+ detectors out there there’s only a handful that work as they should but nobody discusses this because it’s taboo. Have a nice day.

I don't think it's taboo here, as we have been very vocal on our dislikes about the machine. I hope you are not holding back on your issues with it as someone may have an answer that may help. You must have a very different type of beach than I am used to here in New England. There were some issues with the coil wire not being tight against the shaft that produced a lot of falsing, especially in the water. I don't think Carolina meant any disrespect to you in his comments. I find that I generally run on or near the presets for most time, but do run the ATS at 3 in all metal, when I want to get the most out of it. I do have to change my sweep speed to settle the machine down at that low of a ATS setting. Just some thoughts. I know you are a seasoned detectorists, so no disrespect meant by my comments on how I run it.

• Like 2

On 2/26/2021 at 1:51 PM, The Seeker said:

Taboo? I don’t think so. You just brought it up and lightning did not strike. The subject has been discussed at length before, see links below - over 100 posts.

Just because everyone is not experiencing the same issue you are (though some are), does not make the subject taboo. Nobody has stopped you from posting about it. Nobody knows your experience level, and first suggestions tend to be the simple ones. People are not going out of their way to insult or upset you.

Anyway, I’m sorry the AQ has not worked out to your satisfaction.

Impulse AQ Saltwater Stability

Impulse AQ in Surf

Separate but related issue:

Impulse AQ Coil Connector False Signals

• Like 3