Which XP Deus Coil Is The Deepest

Think the depth would be pretty much the same on the 11" round and 11x13. The longer coil is to cover more ground. Not sure how much more it weighs either.

• Like 1

I think it's going to depend on your soil minerals as to the depth you get. I've had all the coils made for the XP Deus. In my area the 11 x 13 is no deeper than even the 9 round. I've settled on the 9" round and elliptical coil for all my detecting. I really think the Deus was designed around the 9" round. It's well balanced and performs well in most scenarios.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, abenson said:

I think it's going to depend on your soil minerals as to the depth you get. I've had all the coils made for the XP Deus. In my area the 11 x 13 is no deeper than even the 9 round. I've settled on the 9" round and elliptical coil for all my detecting. I really think the Deus was designed around the 9" round. It's well balanced and performs well in most scenarios.

In the areas I hunt the 9" X35 is the deepest of the three X35 coils due to similar bad soil conditions to Abenson. In milder dirt I don't think you would see too much difference between the 11" and 11"X13" X35 coils.  Hopefully Chase will respond since he has much more experience with this subject.

Kaolin washer, you could just private message Chase Goldman, tell him your ground conditions, target situation (bed of nails, etc), your typical settings and the depth you are trying to achieve.

• Like 6

About the weigths :

11 x X35   --> 470g with coil cover

13X11       --> 590g with cc

See :http://www.xpmetaldetectors.com/metal-detector/category/accessories-deus/

So quite a big weight difference between the coils ...

Concerning field results , I only know the 11 coil old version ( not the X35 ) , it is deep on big coins at depth in clean soils if you use a low freq like 5khz

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Kaolin washer said:

trying to decide , 11inch coil x35 or the 11x13 x35 anyone have experience with both 

Frankly, the answer to this question is actually "it depends". 

But first lets dispense of the X35 11X13 coil.  Too heavy, no real performance benefit, and the increased swing coverage is not worth the added weight and shaft stress and potential loss of small target sensitivity.  Especially if you considered the exorbitant cost of Deus coils due to the electronics embedded in them.

Theoretically, the 11" is deepest but I am not sure it is really a measurable difference.  First of all, the ground conditions come into to play - in hot ground you are probably better off with the 9" round or even the 9x5 elliptical because the 11" will pick up more ground noise.  It's only real advantage seems to be swing coverage.  As others have said, the Deus just seems to be optimized around the 9" round coil.

My favorite coil is the 9" HF coil but it is limited to a minimum frequency of 13 khz which is a great "all around" frequency but you can get better depth at lower frequencies.  I like the HF coil because it accommodates 28 khz which to me seems to be a sweet spot frequency for relic hunting.

A better all around coil is perhaps the 9" x 35 because you can dial it down to less than 4 khz for max high conductive target (e.g.,, silver coin) depth.

The 9x5 obviously offers great separation but it also gets decent depth for its size and ok ground coverage, but it is certainly not the "deepest" coil.

HTH

• Like 6

The original black Low Frequency coils and the new black X35 coils used with the Deus have an ID normalization On/Off choice. However, on the Deus there is no ID normalization choice for the High Frequency white coils, so it is automatically Off. So, basically, the HF coils are not fully compatible with the XP Deus............weird???

On the ORX, ID normalization is always On for both the white HF coils and the X35 coils. The ORX is not compatible at all with the original black LF coils.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

The original black Low Frequency coils and the new black X35 coils used with the Deus have an ID normalization On/Off choice. However, on the Deus there is no ID normalization choice for the High Frequency white coils, so it is automatically Off. So, basically, the HF coils are not fully compatible with the XP Deus............weird???

On the ORX, ID normalization is always On for both the white HF coils and the X35 coils. The ORX is not compatible at all with the original black LF coils.

In France/Europe we have hundreds of coin types/sizes/weights dating from the antic /medieval to modern ages , ranging from 0.5 to 30g so that we only use the VIDs as an indication , except in very specific situations . Perhaps that this is probably why XP has not really focused on this VID normalization  but rather on reactivity / iron filtering / ability on nail beds etc ... To summarize this VID feature is interesting but it is not the most important thing for us . Just my opinion as usual ...

Of course it would be better that those IDs are normalized as it is very useful in other countries like the US which are a big market for XP I imagineÂ đŸ™‚Â ...

• Like 3

Interesting and good to know especially if I snagged one and use the tone breaks on key trash to help id good from bad. I ran into a snag with the standard scaling on the MK and ended up swapping back to normalized so I can jump frequencies and not have all my breaks and notches be out of whack.