So The Beach Hunts Start Again

Beach hunt #27 is at the same beach that had the big piles of sand, which were being spread out to replenish the upper beach area. It is also where I was having problems with the Manticore and excessive ground noise. Some here mentioned that the detector needed to be ground balanced. I run tracking ground balance, so I didn’t think I would have to do that. Isn’t that what tracking balance is for? Anyways, I checked the ground balance and it read 0. That can’t be right since I’m on a mix with black sand in it. So, I manually balanced (pumped) it and it stayed on 0. I manually raised the numbers and re balance and it went back to 0.  Same thing when I went negative with the ground balance. It always went to 0. So not sure what’s up with that, but I have to read up on being able to reset the detector to just that search mode or do I have to do a full factory reset on the machine. I rather not lose all my settings. I've included a picture of the sand that I posted previously, so you can see the black sand mix. So, a bit frustrated with that, but I did run the Manticore for about 2 ½ hours and found mostly shallow targets. Switched over to the GPX and ran about 4 ½ hours until it was time to leave. GPX saved me and produced a silver ring and silver pendant. A nice eyeball find while digging another pull tab, was a thin S/S chain with an Amethyst/Quartz crystal on it. I lost it as soon as I got home. 😄 Oh well, better to lose that, then to give away all my gold rings to my better half. Lots of coins, no gold, and some nice scenery. Can’t beat that.

20230209_111834.jpg

20230302_100210.jpg

20230302_100604.jpg

20230302_094148.jpg

20230302_094222.jpg

• Like 7
  • Oh my! 1

Looking at the volume of finds and your time there . You must get a target every 30 seconds and dig a whole lot faster than I can !  🤔

That 5K sure is a shop vac for metal. 

So , on a scale of 1 to 10 . How sore are you after a full day digging all that stuff ??🥸

You're due for some yellah..

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, rvpopeye said:

Looking at the volume of finds and your time there . You must get a target every 30 seconds and dig a whole lot faster than I can !  🤔

That 5K sure is a shop vac for metal. 

So , on a scale of 1 to 10 . How sore are you after a full day digging all that stuff ??🥸

You're due for some yellah..

I dig fast. I don't waste a lot of time interrogating a target. If I spent more time doing that, I would probably have a lot less iron. Iron masks a lot of targets so it's easier for me to just dig it.  A spade makes for easy digging, But them deep pull tabs get old after a while 😌. At least they are the older style ones. On this beach it's much easier to dig. If you get deep, there are packed small rocks and shell that are a pain to dig. But in most spots it's just sand. So I'm a 5 or 6 the next day after digging. On tough beaches I'm an 8 or 9 the next day. Yellah is for the other guys 😄 I have to wait my turn 🙄 I'm in real trouble when the silvah turns it's back on me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice hunt. The crystal was nice. Unfortunate you lost it. Nice you got silver anyway.

Hey you can still use the fishing lure 🙂.

• Like 1

Yet again you show that there are detectors for this, and detectors for that. Never ceases to amaze. 👍 

The contrast is stark, but the work is hard. Quite the trade off 🤔 I know I'm missing the deep stuff. 😵

I have to clean my detector(s), gear and finds as soon as I get home, tired or not. So I dump my bags in the driveway, my finds in a sifter pan, wash it all, oil my shovel, and I'm done. Kinda trifling when it's cold. Even camping, God forbid I get sand in the palace 🤡

Glad you're getting enough decent weather to get out, I think you've done more this year than last. Are you getting less precious metals this year than last?

• Like 1

How deep would you say these targets were? I want to know if these more valuable targets were buried deep or if they were kinda in the usual depths of 0 to 10 in down.

• Like 1

Great report as always.  Just a few random questions&comments for you:

1) Do you wash your finds (including the trash) before photographing?  Not being  a beach detectorist I don't know the conditions of freshly recovered items.

2) If my wife had been around when you got back home there might have been a wrestling match for that amethyst.  (No jokes, please...)  🙄

3) Are you able to make time estimates on how long a target has been lost based upon its condition?  For example, the amethyst has a loop/clasp that appears a bit tarnished.  The stainless chain doesn't show corrosion.  (I realize it was a surface find but maybe that has more to do with the shifting sand than the length of time since lost?)

• Like 1

Wow, sohN, you and that GPX = Beast Mode evey time! You are a digging machine! Congrats on the silver and amethyst, now go put some IcyHot on that back and get ready to do it again. My back hurts just thinking about digging all those holes! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/2/2023 at 11:23 PM, F350Platinum said:

Glad you're getting enough decent weather to get out, I think you've done more this year than last. Are you getting less precious metals this year than last?

I am getting about the same gold. I don't get a lot of that anyways. Silver is definitely down mostly because the beaches are hit hard and technology is catching up with the GPX 😭

On 3/3/2023 at 1:21 AM, Sirius said:

How deep would you say these targets were? I want to know if these more valuable targets were buried deep or if they were kinda in the usual depths of 0 to 10 in down.

This beach the coins were rather shallow, most above 6", many at 4". Other beaches I have found many coins from 12" all the way to my deepest silver quarter that was near 20". At the maximum depth, there must be very little EMI or black sand present and even then it sounds like just a hint of ground noise. Many times I dig 8" of sand out just to find nothing and it was only ground noise that I heard.

On 3/3/2023 at 11:06 AM, GB_Amateur said:

Great report as always.  Just a few random questions&comments for you:

1) Do you wash your finds (including the trash) before photographing?  Not being  a beach detectorist I don't know the conditions of freshly recovered items.

2) If my wife had been around when you got back home there might have been a wrestling match for that amethyst.  (No jokes, please...)  🙄

3) Are you able to make time estimates on how long a target has been lost based upon its condition?  For example, the amethyst has a loop/clasp that appears a bit tarnished.  The stainless chain doesn't show corrosion.  (I realize it was a surface find but maybe that has more to do with the shifting sand than the length of time since lost?)

I wash my finds if they are covered in wet sand. It takes too long for them to dry out and photograph. I have a set of classification strainers that I use that makes it easy to wash them and trap the sand for disposal. I'm guessing the amethyst was probably a recent drop or was far from the wave action, never getting repeated saturation. The coins have probably been there a while. Anytime you see that red or green corrosion that does not wipe of easily when rubbed, usually means they were there in the wet environment for a long time. How long is hard to tell, but generally many years, not months.  When your wife's eye light up with one of your finds, it's better to hand it over than have cold cereal for breakfast 😄

• Like 3