Finally Minelab Take Responsibility For Screwing Up The GPX 6000 Speaker

phrunt

The GPX Audio Fix Poll  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had the audio/EMI fix done to your GPX 6000 - if you plan to get it done please don't answer the poll until you've got it back and tested it

2. 2. Did the fix improve your built in speaker EMI stability

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure, possibly
    • Not sure, I don't think so
    • Don't care, not getting it done
  3. 3. Did the fix improve overall stability or improve the detector in some other way?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure, possibly
    • Not sure, I don't think so
    • Don't care, not getting it done

I paid the full 6k and I AM worried about shipping the unit off without having reliable insurance for the full value. But paying $100 for insurance isn't that nice neither. But so many packages are being lost or stolen. Having no apropriate coverage when shipping appears risky IMO.

GC

• Like 1

Thanks for the update on yours billdean, its really nice to see everyone who's had the fix done happy with the results.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gold Catcher said:

I paid the full 6k and I AM worried about shipping the unit off without having reliable insurance for the full value. But paying $100 for insurance isn't that nice neither. But so many packages are being lost or stolen. Having no apropriate coverage when shipping appears risky IMO.

GC

USPS Priority maxes out at $500 online but you can buy up to $5000 in person at your post office. That should cost around $80 and then add the shipping cost. Minelab pays all shipping costs and related fees and insurance for the return trip back to you per the GPX 6000 warranty.

• Thanks 1

Lets have a look at the History here in OZ, no not Wizard of Oz.

2000 came out, was around 2g. Ok was awesome. But by the time it was several months old Minelab bumps it to over 4g. Then near 5g.

Mmmmm.....ok. People not happy. Minelab calls a meeting in Dunolly the Aus heart of Nugget hunting in Dunolly Town hall! For all prospectors.

They say, Ian from Minelab.... This...."All future upgrades will be via new Circuit Boards in your detectors for those who purchased 2000s" 

1 to 2 months later (now, how was that possible, in that time frame!?) Minelab releases the 2100. 

Lets see. The first 2100 had insane emi issues, and a tiny screw driver idiot thing to adjust it. It was utterly unusable. I was stupid enough to get one! It came with an 8 inch mono. Sound good!? No. That mono had a lead about 6" out then cut and connected to another lead, wrapped in shrink tape" It was a joke!

Fast forward after the 2100 fiasco with it balancing on some coils and not others.

The 22000.... some balance some didn't, lucky dip in our bad ground.

What did they do? They brought our 2100e and 2200e.

Why? 

Because we were here in OZ treated like idiot Guinea Pigs spending our thousands on their mistakes.

Yes, they found awesome amounts of gold and were better than anything. But make no mistake, they had the monopoly and knew it.

I hope the Garrett Axiom kicks them. They deserve it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 1

2 hours ago, Smigo said:

Lets have a look at the History here in OZ, no not Wizard of Oz.

2000 came out, was around 2g. Ok was awesome. But by the time it was several months old Minelab bumps it to over 4g. Then near 5g.

Mmmmm.....ok. People not happy. Minelab calls a meeting in Dunolly the Aus heart of Nugget hunting in Dunolly Town hall! For all prospectors.

They say, Ian from Minelab.... This...."All future upgrades will be via new Circuit Boards in your detectors for those who purchased 2000s" 

1 to 2 months later (now, how was that possible, in that time frame!?) Minelab releases the 2100. 

Lets see. The first 2100 had insane emi issues, and a tiny screw driver idiot thing to adjust it. It was utterly unusable. I was stupid enough to get one! It came with an 8 inch mono. Sound good!? No. That mono had a lead about 6" out then cut and connected to another lead, wrapped in shrink tape" It was a joke!

Fast forward after the 2100 fiasco with it balancing on some coils and not others.

The 22000.... some balance some didn't, lucky dip in our bad ground.

What did they do? They brought our 2100e and 2200e.

Why? 

Because we were here in OZ treated like idiot Guinea Pigs spending our thousands on their mistakes.

Yes, they found awesome amounts of gold and were better than anything. But make no mistake, they had the monopoly and knew it.

I hope the Garrett Axiom kicks them. They deserve it.

I'll add. Here after all we went through from 2000 up till now. Sorry dealers but is the truth. Minelab releases stuff guinea pig, that's their MO. Wait 12 months till they get their stooge feedback from early buyers. See the Nox issues, 6000 issues. That has gone on for decades here in Oz. Broken coil issues...2100 new flat disc 18" broke all the time. First 2100s were pigs, 2200s drifted out of balance non stop, on and on, 4000 drifted within seconds. First 12 months were for all junk with issues. Damn! The GP Extreme! Seriously!? First run went shallower than the 2200! It was a disgrace! Minelab sent techs to Central Vic like nuts in damage control for months. Anyone who knows, knows im not making this up. Still seeing it right? Guinea Pig stuff.

Let me add one more thing. Many many here were their spruikers. Why never ever after all these years after all that which is 100% true did they stay mute and back, back, back then like it was all hunky dory!? Testers, test guys over all OZ states, all shut up like 😗 nothing to see here!

Kaching!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

My GPX 6000 did not cost me $6000. I paid much less. 

I did not ship the entire detector. Only the PCB/Speaker housing. I did not even ship the battery.

So what are you surprised about?????

If something had happened in shipping from me to Detector Center or from Detector Center to me….its covered by the 3 year warranty…..if a part of the detector was damaged in shipment to or from for a covered under warranty repair especially a repair that was instigated by a known issue bulletin from Minelab.

Hi Jeff. It’s good shipping worked out safe for you. I got mine at a discount too, but made sure that it was covered. I got worried about it ever since I had a microscope sent to me in pieces, and the insurance coverage was less than what it cost to repair. So now I insure everything to the fullest extent it would cost me to replace it. I’m not sure how much the control box would’ve cost to replace, I sent mine in that way too. 
Looking forward to hearing about how yours is working out, I think mine definitely improved.

-Anthony

• Like 1

As noted above by fellow member smigo  due to lack of quality and poor craftsmanship I therefore elected not to insure my POS 6000 control box and it made it there just fine...I just hope I get it back..... 🙂

strick

• Like 1

A new version of the ML 100 headphones (these are the 6000 headphones) was submitted to FCC. These are called "ML-100A", so seems to be some revision/fix to the headphones as well? Maybe changed manufacturers? Who knows.

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=BfM%2F5ZHTR%2FcxVBrfVLG8zA%3D%3D&fcc_id=Z4C-ML100A

I don't have enough patience to read through all of this. Offhand one difference between the two I noticed is the antenna gains appear to be different, so based on that it appears to be updated equipment and not just a report recertification or something like that. Not sure if it's a fix, or an improvement.

Who knows what this is though. If it's another fix rather than just a recertification due to flawed testing or whatever, it'd be good to know, but I don't put much faith in ML educating us. I don't use headphones enough myself to really pursue it.

• Like 3