Nokta Legend Or Minelab Equinox 900?

On 12/15/2022 at 2:59 PM, V3i/MXT Pro said:

I primarily detect on Atlantic beaches in the Eastern US. There is no black sand where I hunt. I use both my Legend and EQ 800 on the wet sand and in the surf up to waist deep. I switch over to my Excal II when I go in further than waist deep.

On my Legend, I can run the sensitivity wide open (in Beach Mode) and it’s very quiet even when the coil sweeps in/out of the saltwater. On my EQ 800, I have to lower the sensitivity (in Beach Mode 1) to achieve stable performance but I still get some noise when the coil sweeps in/out of the saltwater.

They are both great detectors but the Legend is quieter and more stable where I use it.

You should have more stability if you use Beach 2 in the water. My Nox800 is very quiet in the salt water with sensitivity set at 20.....sometimes even 22. That's about what I can get away with in the dry sand here with our degree of black sand. I just got the 900 and took it out for it's maiden voyage yesterday on an inland dry hunt. Very happy with it so far. I love the expanded TID and telescoping shaft (although you need to really tighten the clamps to keep the shaft from rotating with the big coil on it) Pairing of the headphones and restart up procedure is much quicker and easier too. The sensitivity setting now will go to 28, and I was able to hunt in 25, which is rare around here. Not sure if the old 25 is the same as the new 25, or, if the scale has just been recalibrated, but, it seems more sensitive to me. The noise cancel seems slightly better, but, nothing dramatic so far. Bottle cap rejection is enhanced also. It comes with FE4 as default, and it handled bottle caps better than the 800's F2@6, I ran over tons of bottle caps and didn't dig a one, as, none sounded good at all.....even the rusty, totally flat ones. The foil covered ones I'll probably still scoop at the beach, as they still don't sound bad enough to ignore there.  I'll know more about how it handles wet sand and salt water in the next few days if I can get out. Oh, I'm sure many already know this, but, even though the coils interchange between the 600/800 and the 700/900, the shafts do not, so, for quick coil swaps, you'll need to get some extra lower shafts......attn: Steve G!

• Like 4

I’ve also experimented Beach Mode 2 extensively. It does quiet the EQ 800 but it also cuts power to the coil. In my experience, using Beach 1 and dealing with additional noise, yields more finds. I’m hunting primarily on the fringe (the line between wet and dry sand). Also, every beach is different so results may (and will) vary greatly depending on the environment.

Be interesting to see what Nokta is gonna do with the new update coming. Minelab has had what 4 yrs? or so to improve the 900. Im liking what im seeing from the 900s. All the stuff I wished for that the 800s didn't have. I won't be able to tell until I can find some ground that I can dig lol. If it handles the iron better even a little bit ill be happy as can be. I guess ill go ice fishing until I can find some ground thats not snow covered. Maybe to early to tell. But I definitely think you should buy one and let me know if it handles the iron sites any better lol.😇